The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast
Posts 776 to 800 of 848

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    That looks pretty good but I think you should take a look at The Smoking Lineman, Big City Blues, and The sound Of Rio which are bebop DVD courses by Robert Conti. Be prepared to be impressed! Here's the link:

Learn Robert Conti Guitar Solos - Tab Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons

Hope this helps!
    Steven Herron
    Conti's "The Jazz Lines" is an excellent resource.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hows everybody doing with the course? I had also the chance of studying Richie's material as a Silver level membership. I fell into rut when i was working with module 3. I came to think that maybe because i was working only with pdf material. For the guys who are in gold level, do you think its a big plus when youre also working with richies video lesson as supplement. Planning to start again and upgrade my membership.tia

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I am still in Module 2, slugging away. At the present time, I am perfecting the Bebop Calisthenics and am in the process of committing the etudes to memory. I am not a fan of them because they are not very Jazzy sounding to my ears, but I don't expect an etude to be all that great, anyway.

Progress has been steady. I am also working with the Rhythm templates.

User Info Menu

Module 5 here. Still plugging away. Module 3 is a real bear, but 4 and 5 should not take terribly long to digest. Most modules have taken me 2 months or so to complete I believe. Module was several months! I think it's important to do your own thing with the approaches. Don't just play the etudes and exercises. Make sure you are playing tunes and improvising with your newfound knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I am still in Module 2, slugging away. At the present time, I am perfecting the Bebop Calisthenics and am in the process of committing the etudes to memory. I am not a fan of them because they are not very Jazzy sounding to my ears, but I don't expect an etude to be all that great, anyway.

Progress has been steady. I am also working with the Rhythm templates.
    Same thing with me with the etudes. Aside from rhythm templates and the etudes,do you supplement your exercises with something else?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Module 5 here. Still plugging away. Module 3 is a real bear, but 4 and 5 should not take terribly long to digest. Most modules have taken me 2 months or so to complete I believe. Module was several months! I think it's important to do your own thing with the approaches. Don't just play the etudes and exercises. Make sure you are playing tunes and improvising with your newfound knowledge.

Can you share any specific tune that you worked/working on in relation to your studies?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lickerz101
    Can you share any specific tune that you worked/working on in relation to your studies?

Watermelon Man is a good one. It is based on a blues but repeats the V-IV bars an extra few measures. All the chords are dominant so even though it's not strictly a basic blues, you can apply all that you've learned from Richie on the song: fingerings, arpeggios, enclosures, etc.

User Info Menu

Watermelon Man is a good one. It is based on a blues but repeats the V-IV bars an extra few measures. All the chords are dominant so even though it's not strictly a basic blues, you can apply all that you've learned from Richie on the song: fingerings, arpeggios, enclosures, etc.

Great tune. I will try that out.thanks a lot

User Info Menu

Same thing with me with the etudes. Aside from rhythm templates and the etudes,do you supplement your exercises with something else?

I look for examples of licks that are purely Mixolydian and convert them into my own etudes. The problem that I am having now it that these licks have eighth notes and triplets which can makes it harder for me to concentrate on chord tones.

Richie's etudes are slow enough that you can really ingrain the chord and scale tones in your mind.

Tonight, after I learn another etude, I am going to start trying to "Jazz them up" with different rhythms and additional notes. That should help make them more entertaining while still retaining their essence that Richie is trying to relay to you.

User Info Menu

Great tune. I will try that out.thanks a lot

Oh, also. Take a stab at transcribing as much of Dexter Gordon's saxophone solo from Herbie Hancock's original recording of the tune as you want. Could be a lick or two or the whole thing. Most of it is real basic stuff, but you'll get a much better lesson on time feel than you'll get from the etudes.

User Info Menu

I started working on the first etude for Module 5 today. The lines are starting to sound more like jazz as played in actual practice. Makes me appreciate the time that Richie must have put into the creation of this course--there's definitely a path of progression here, so if you're feeling like things don't sound hip enough in the earlier modules, stick with it!

User Info Menu

I started working on the first etude for Module 5 today. The lines are starting to sound more like jazz as played in actual practice. Makes me appreciate the time that Richie must have put into the creation of this course--there's definitely a path of progression here, so if you're feeling like things don't sound hip enough in the earlier modules, stick with it!
    I'm still slogging along in module two.

I learned the etudes but I can't pull out the lines the way I feel I should be able to. In my mind, I need to be able to mix the different songs on the fly, pulling a lines from all of the Opus Etudes and mixing them together at will, and understanding where they sound best.

I won't go to Module 3 until I can do this.

User Info Menu

Remember, Richie kind of expects you to spend the rest of your life mastering stuff. I'd say move fast enough to keep things interesting for yourself! Especially if this is your only regimented practice material.

User Info Menu

Remember, Richie kind of expects you to spend the rest of your life mastering stuff. I'd say move fast enough to keep things interesting for yourself! Especially if this is your only regimented practice material.
    I hear you.

In trying to extract and internalize these licks, I am hoping to develop it as a skill so I can use it to add vocabulary. It has required me to really slow down to around 72 bpm, and trying to identify my starting and ending points for each little line of the solo, feeling where in the progression the notes hit.

I don't know how many "ant trails" I can mentally carve into the fretboard, but I seem to be building them up. Many are easily executed to. I just hope I can continue to retain them.

User Info Menu

Im on module 3 and still working through bebop calisthenics 2a. Getting a hang of the etudes as well.

User Info Menu

For those thatare interested, Richie has completed a volume 2 of this class (he sent out a regular email today advertising it ). Seems to have a much wiser scope than 12 bar blues and chord tones ---

"BEBOP GUITAR IMPROV SERIES VOL. 2

The course picks up where VOL. 1 left off and is geared towards the intermediate to advanced jazz guitarist. Here is a partial list of some of the topics covered:
    • Composite Fingerings to improvise seamlessly over the entire fretboard
    • Advanced Approach Note Techniques for Melodic Targeting
    • Use of Wide Interval Leaps
    • How to assemble & use a Harmonic Framework to improvise a solo
    • Using Hemiolas to create Cross Rhythms
    • How to Phrase over the Bar-Line
    • Various Tritone Substitution, Reharmonization & Improv Principles
    • Motif Development
    • Use of Contrapuntal Techniques to Improvise
    • Understanding the 4 Varieties of Double-Stops
    • Creating Compound Melodies
    • Use of Stationary Pitch/Pivot Point during improvisation
    • Modal Super-Imposition of Scales & Arpeggios
    • Symmetrical Diminished Concepts
    • Understanding Minor & Modal Tonalities
    • Using Modal Interchange
    • Structuring Micro-Tonalities using Triad Rows"

User Info Menu

I have a week to go on the Howard Roberts Superchops book, then I'm going to double down and finish Volume 1. Volume 2 looks like it could be pretty great combined with a tune-based approach like Superchops.

Got the email and signed up for Vol.2 the same day.

User Info Menu

After being a Silver member, i decided to restart and sign up to Gold. I must say being able to watch video lesson is more encouraging and clear than reading the book alone. Any finishers of vol.1 out here who can give their thoughts on their journey on completing the course?

User Info Menu

just grab a 100 pdfs online sax ,guitar etc and play them over again and again....with a backing track if need be...WEs had a tougher time off records..it can happen...

User Info Menu

Just started this course. I'm a beginner and I'm going to use it as a supplement along with transcription and comping. At the moment I don't really see much attention towards comping. Anyone care to chip in?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aretium
    Just started this course. I'm a beginner and I'm going to use it as a supplement along with transcription and comping. At the moment I don't really see much attention towards comping. Anyone care to chip in?
    This is a course about improvising lines, so there’s nothing specifically about comping, but you’ll spend some learning and hopefully internalizing common jazz rhythms which you can also use to comp. As the course progresses, the chord progressions increase in complexity, so you’ll be learning some harmony there as well.

User Info Menu

I am on module 6 right now and am enjoying it. My only problem is that I just do not have enough time to really delve into it. I have a feeling I will be going back and relearning subjects and going well past one year working on the material.

The reason for the time crunch is that I missed working on and learning songs when working through the course so now I split my practice time between Richie's course and a song of the month type group. The fun part with that is that I use the material that I am learning in Richie's course and I try to analyze and apply it to the song I am currently working on which I think helps reinforce the learning even more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geese_com
    I am on module 6 right now and am enjoying it. My only problem is that I just do not have enough time to really delve into it. I have a feeling I will be going back and relearning subjects and going well past one year working on the material.

The reason for the time crunch is that I missed working on and learning songs when working through the course so now I split my practice time between Richie's course and a song of the month type group. The fun part with that is that I use the material that I am learning in Richie's course and I try to analyze and apply it to the song I am currently working on which I think helps reinforce the learning even more.
    That’s exactly what I did. We just finished super chops over in the Howard Robert super chops group. I think I am totally fine slowing down with Richie and actually applying the approaches even if it’s one by one in actual tunes. I am on module six as well, and after reviewing some of the older approaches recently I realized that they are nowhere near ingrained For me in actual tunes.

User Info Menu

I've been on and off with this course .Each time i come back the calisthenics and the etudes become easier.Drilling the exercises seems to pay off for me. All i need now is the courage and discipline to complete this course