The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Posts 751 to 775 of 848

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I was pleased to find there were no new "bebop calisthenics" (structured exercises for practicing chord tone approaches and enclosures) in this module. Maybe I will finish this module in less than a month!
    Are you sure about no calisthenics? There doesn't seem to be a video about it, but they are in the workbook starting from page 71. And there is an item #11 in the assignment checklist (lessonbook page 118).

Robert

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm going to go back and listen to ALL the lessons sequentially, units 1-9, while at work. I do this to recall what has stuck and what recollection needs to be refreshed.

The course was excellent on how to to play chord tones within the framework of a jazz blues.

User Info Menu

sounds like a great course. just one thing i'm wondering though.. a few people have mentioned the time you get with each module before the following module is 'released' right? But what's to stop you downloading the videos and audios so you can spend as long as you like/need on each module?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue-moves
    sounds like a great course. just one thing i'm wondering though.. a few people have mentioned the time you get with each module before the following module is 'released' right? But what's to stop you downloading the videos and audios so you can spend as long as you like/need on each module?
    Things have changed since I first joined but I think you go to the website, he explains it on the homepage.

At the time I registered, you could get the whole thing at once with an email request. The only thing you lost was the money back guarantee I think?

Incidentally, if you got the print-only version, he'd let you upgrade later if you decided you want the videos. I just wanted to check it out. The print version was fine for me. For the money, the video versions are a much better value , I think. May not be current , but that's the way it was.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 01-13-2017 at 04:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I am back with this course again, picking up where I left off on Module 2. I have been at it for a couple of weeks as part of my New Year's Resolution.

This time around, I am better able to understand the objectives and the long-term implications of each.

I am working with the Bebop Calisthenics and it has helped me solidify position one Mixolydian scale chord tones and such.

I have added position 4 and then will add 5 and start on the etudes again. The chord tones are starting to "light up" in my mind as I play them. I am wondering if I will be able to juggle the three fingerings.

I feel very good about Fingering 1, now. I am resolved to stick with this through Module 2 if I continue to have the free time I have been able to free up.

User Info Menu

Still going. I am working mainly with the Bebop Calisthenics in module 2.

Some of them actually sound like nice little lines. But the main thing is that I am finally, finally getting the chord tones positions memorized at the different positions.

I have not used them with my backing tracks, and won't until I am able to do all 40 something of them with a solid measure of familiarity.

It's a comin'....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Still going.
    Me too;-)

Some of them actually sound like nice little lines. But the main thing is that I am finally, finally getting the chord tones positions memorized at the different positions.
    Yes, it takes a long time... For a few days now I started a more systematic approach. I have created flash cards for the Bebop Calisthenics (published it in the Zellon forum, but nobody seems to care about it), one cycle on each card, shuffled for random access. I take one of these per day and practice it through three fingerings for the basic blues chords I7, IV7 and V7.

Then I record basic four-to-the-bar blues comping into my looper, and try to improvise by using cycle of the day. With rhythmic variations I try to find lines or licks that sound somehow like Jazz. If I do find something, I'll try write it down in music notation, to keep it and to activate some different brain cells.* With the looped comping again, I try to improvise with this lick then only, trying out to keep the basic structure of the line but develop some slight variations, and trying to attend to the blues structure in elements of four measures each (call/repeat call/response). It already feels like an ice breaking practice regimen. Sometimes my hands are producing some output which doesn't let me cringe--marvellous!

Robert

* For notation I am using lilypond, very interesting project (LilyPond – Music notation for everyone: LilyPond... music notation for everyone). I put my code into LilyBin (LilyBin LilyPond Score Editor), an online interpreter for lilypond, which will produce a nicely rendered output I can download as PDF. For example a line created from Bebop Calisthenic 1A #8 (ascending arpeggio w/ upper NT for 3 and lower NT for 5) looks like this:

% bcal_licks_1a_8

\version "2.14.1"
    \include "english.ly"
    \relative c
    {
    \clef "treble_8"
    \small
    r4 e8-3 [f-4 e-3 g-5] f-4 [g-5] \tuplet 3/4 { d'-9 c-1 bf^"b7"~ } bf2
    }

I am really having fun with that, and it seems that this is going to engrain the chord tones into my muscle memory and training my ear.

User Info Menu

Good for you Minnix.

I was wondering how others tackled this section of BeBop Calisthenics.

Richie suggests going through all three fingerings at once with each exercise. It has worked better for me to go through all the exercises using only one position, and then go back to the beginning and use a different one.

It has worked because by the time I am on exercise 8 or 9, I am starting to get a little bored and too familiar with that particular fingering, and it becomes more automatic - which is good.

I like the way you are using your backing track. I plan to do the same but using only bass and drums to I can also practice some comping chords I have been working.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

User Info Menu

Keep at it guys. You'll get a complete break from the calisthenics in module 4, but module three is a serious ton of work. Took me months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I was looking through the lesson book and I noticed that we don't get to chord progressions with 2-5-1s until lesson 5.

This is the carrot that entices me - application of the same exhaustive exercises used on the simple Blues progression to progression that put in that 2- 5.

Have any of you made it that far yet and if so, could you comment?

I noticed that Richie chose to teach Dorian for tackling the ii-chord.

User Info Menu

I will be starting Module 5 soon-ish, probably before the end of the month. I'll report back as soon as I can comment. I am working on getting my two module 4 etudes up to speed. They sound pretty decent at slower tempos, but at 120 they fall apart feel-wise. I am starting to bump up against the limitations of these strict fingerings. It's hard to make a triplet swing and sound good when I have to pick every note at faster tempos (for instance 5-b5-5, positions 1 and 4, where the b5 is on the next string). I think I've gotten too hung up on the tempo thing and will likely wrap up the rest of module 4 and continue to work on the speed as I delve into module 5.

User Info Menu

I will be starting Module 5 soon-ish, probably before the end of the month. I'll report back as soon as I can comment. I am working on getting my two module 4 etudes up to speed. They sound pretty decent at slower tempos, but at 120 they fall apart feel-wise. I am starting to bump up against the limitations of these strict fingerings. It's hard to make a triplet swing and sound good when I have to pick every note at faster tempos (for instance 5-b5-5, positions 1 and 4, where the b5 is on the next string). I think I've gotten too hung up on the tempo thing and will likely wrap up the rest of module 4 and continue to work on the speed as I delve into module 5.
    Thanks.

I look forward to reading your future feedback on that section. Like I said earlier, I peaked ahead to the final modules and the Opus songs actually sound good by that time.

User Info Menu

Here is a post showing where I am at in this process. I chose a simple Blues head and progression and improvised over it using on the Mixolydian shapes and positions on the fingerboard that Richie is teaching. I have a few licks thrown in here and there to keep it moving.

Last edited by AlsoRan; 02-04-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Here is a post showing where I am at in this process. I chose a simple Blues head and progression and improvised over it using on the Mixolydian shapes and positions on the fingerboard that Richie is teaching. I have a few licks thrown in here and there to keep it moving.

Very cool, AlsoRan. First one!

I'd be curious to know what would've been your approach before this? Straight blues scale? Arpeggios?

Anyway, congrats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Very cool, AlsoRan. First one!

I'd be curious to know what would've been your approach before this? Straight blues scale? Arpeggios?

Anyway, congrats.
    Thanks, Matt!

In the past, I would have used the Blues Scales or just a minor scale based on the root of each chord, and I would have just "finger skated" over the progression. I put in a lot of hours creating my own "trails" through the Mixolydian mode.

I am learning which notes to put together and how they will sound to others close by (intervals), all in staying within the framework of the Mixolydian. I almost know how a note will sound before I play it, and I am definitely learning to pick the notes on which to start and end a line or phrase.

I want to make it "second nature" so I can just play it the way I would hear it or sing it.

User Info Menu

I'm new here and just ran across this thread. I'm constantly looking for lessons. I've been on truefire jazz courses the last few months and found Frank Vignola's teaching method there the most helpful. I have very limited theory knowledge...been playing for years by what I feel and hear. Took Bruno's course for awhile but at the time it was just over my head and couldn't relate or understand his method of teaching.

My problem is constantly jumping from one thing to another...I'll work on standards, then licks here and there, learning new chord/ voicings...just unorganized! Sometimes I feel like I just need to put everything I know on the back burner and learn music. I don't even know where I'm wanting to go at this point with my learning. I'm 65 yrs old and just in the last few years getting a lot of enjoyment in simply learning new things. Needless to say at this point I'll never be a jazz player per se.

I have a pretty solid foundation in blues and I don't mean SRV....ie Eddie Taylor, Robert Lockwood, Otis Rush, Louis Myers, Tiny Grimes etc...listened and studied extensively all the delta, west coast and jump blues players...so my question is...would this course be beneficial in my learning process considering my current abilities or rather inabilities.

User Info Menu

I can only speculate but given what you have said, I would think it would help but you there is a lot of work involved. You have to have a "made-up" mind. In my case, I now have more available time and I don't mind working hours on learning the details that the course teaches.

You might want to go to the website and search around to see what he has. I am only on module 2 of several modules, and there is a lot of instruction and lots of practice that some might find to be a bit dry. The theory is not difficult in my opinion and you go slow enough that I think you would have no trouble comprehending.

There are many live videos in which he explains things indepth, too. You could spend hours on the videos alone, but they break it down.

I am also on the "other side of the hill" and now love learning new things and applying them. I know my time is limited on this Earth and for me, this is both a passion and a bucket list endeavor.

Take your time and read through this long thread, too. The various opinions might also help with your decision.

User Info Menu

I found out yesterday that my subscription is expiring. But, you can resubscribe at a much lower price.

User Info Menu

I should have spent the three hours I just spent reading through this thread before making my original comments. Now back to Frank!

User Info Menu

I hope you can make an informed decision so you won't be disappointed or spin your wheels losing more valuable time.

This course works for me because it is broken down to the interval level, and because of all the repetition.

Poor bastard that I sometimes am, I need it on some things!

User Info Menu

I was reading through the lesson book today and it said Richie had a Volume 2 to the course that dealt with the more progressions of major and minor tonality as well as with extensions. I thought to myself that it was something else to look forward to.

But I cannot find these books anywhere. What gives?

User Info Menu

Volume 2 hasn't been released yet. I think Richie said sometime early 2017.

User Info Menu

Volume 2 hasn't been released yet. I think Richie said sometime early 2017.

Yes, I found out from his forum that he was shooting for Feb 2017.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by milestones87
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

My fingerboard knowledge is derived from the Ted Greene books. I never studied CAGED, but from what I have observed, it appears that the Greene books are basically CAGED with a couple more positions (I could be horribly incorrect with this observation). A lot of the Greene positions have stretches in them (diatonic). So maybe it's only parts of CAGED.

With that said, I was wondering how different the above described is from the Zellon material. Hopefully someone who has dug into both the Ted Greene material and the Zellon material can shed some light.
    I have found that the Bebop Calisthenics exercises can be easily adapted to CAGED fingering.