Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Posts 801 to 810 of 810

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    This is a course about improvising lines, so there’s nothing specifically about comping, but you’ll spend some learning and hopefully internalizing common jazz rhythms which you can also use to comp. As the course progresses, the chord progressions increase in complexity, so you’ll be learning some harmony there as well.
    Thanks, any recommendations? At the moment I am transcribing piano comping but it is pretty tough to full understand it

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the idea of transcribing the rhythms a piano player uses when comping, but using chord voicings that you’re already familiar with. I need to spend more time doing this! I think pianist Hank Jones‘s comping on Cannonball’s Autumn Leaves from the album Somethin’ Else is a master class on comping and would be a great place to start. Just start with a few bars and go from there. Just rhythms and basic voicings to start.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aretium
    Thanks, any recommendations? At the moment I am transcribing piano comping but it is pretty tough to full understand it
    You may want to check out this for comping
    Vol. 54 Maiden Voyage Guitar Voicings (Play- a-Long): Mike Diliddo: 9781562240882: Amazon.com: Books

I supplement my studies w/ Richie's course with that book.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hi everyone! I know this is a very old topic but, I'm planning to buy this course later today, have read the whole thread and got convinced.

Anyone who completed the course (the 9 modules) here to share how it improved their playstyle?

User Info Menu

'Please lose your smugness'? That's not right. He's merely expressing an opinion, in a very, clear, succint way, might I add.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Please lose your smugness. The CAGED system, or fundamental aspects thereof, has been around forever, lots of greats have used it. It's not that big of a deal, as I've said here for the one hundredth time I think .

And yes we're just a bunch of schmoes trying to learn to play jazz using a variety of means, methods of study, , working on songs, and playing with people , who and throwing out ideas online. Apparently we haven't discovered the magic bullet but you have . I know, I know that's terrible and is infinitely inferior to what you're doing . Remind me again which "territory" band you are apprecing with , is it with cHick Webb or Fletcher Henderson ?
    Please lose your smugness'? That's not right. He's merely expressing an opinion, in a very, clear, succinct way, might I add.

User Info Menu

Calling someone out on a 5 year old post? Really...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Calling someone out on a 5 year old post? Really...?

User Info Menu

I thought I was merely posting a comment, rather than 'calling somebody out', but then I don't speak American. Don't worry I'll not bother you again.

User Info Menu

I like this method quite a bit, having used it as an electric bass player to help my soloing...probably should get back to it more diligently.