The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Posts 376 to 400 of 848

User Info Menu

When does Richie introduce the rest of the fingerings so you can practice all 12 keys in one position? I am so far sticking to the assignments so as not to take on too much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

... and what time of day does he unlock the next Module? Today is my 1-month anniversary of signing up and Module 2 is still locked!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    ... and what time of day does he unlock the next Module? Today is my 1-month anniversary of signing up and Module 2 is still locked!
    I think it must be after the exact time you signed up. Mine didn't unlock until later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    When does Richie introduce the rest of the fingerings so you can practice all 12 keys in one position? I am so far sticking to the assignments so as not to take on too much.
    I'm pretty sure all the findgerings are in the first PDF for module 1

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I think it must be after the exact time you signed up. Mine didn't unlock until later in the day.
    Mine opened exactly the same day the following month so every 13th my next module opens.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    I'm pretty sure all the findgerings are in the first PDF for module 1

Go to the scale and Arpeggio Library you can print out all 7 fingering, that's what I did even though we don't use them yet...I've been practicing all 7 fingerings in the cycle of 5ths from day 1 and descending arps in cycle of 5ths as well though all patterns.
    ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Let me know what you find out. Module 2 will open for me between Christmas and New Year's. Eager to hear your first impressions of Module 2-----and especially anything that makes you say to yourself, "If I knew then what I know now I would've spent more time on X in Module 1." ;o)

Module 2 is double stuffed

I thought the idea was to move to BGIS forums and carry on there, but I guess it hasn’t quite caught on yet. Nobody mentioned the JGSS, either. Haven’t the BGIS members received Richie’s Holiday gift yet?

User Info Menu

There's quite a lot of our conversation over there. In fact, we should probably move this conversation entirely over there...

Yes I tried to move it over but people keep posting here ...lol

User Info Menu

Well, we could ask the moderator to close this thread. Whaddaya say, Mark?

Well..., if I recall correctly, it was Mark's idea to move ...

User Info Menu

I joined the site, as my jazz combo is on break until February. Is there a particular thread on the other forum where we should initially post?

So far I've learned the 7 major scale fingerings, but am unsure about a couple of issues.

Guitarplayer007 started this thread:
    Discussion thread? ? Bebop Guitar Improv Series

I created a thread under other

I named it discussion thread ...lol

User Info Menu

Okay. Got it. Thx, and I'll post over here as I progress through the materials.

Discussion thread? ? Bebop Guitar Improv Series

Keep in mind, if you don’t subscribe to each sub-forum (@ BGIS) individually, you won’t get e-mail notifications.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    Module 2 is double stuffed
    I got a glimpse of it (-the video titles, at least) in the Orientation video.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I got a glimpse of it (-the video titles, at least) in the Orientation video.
    That's where it really begins

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    I joined the site, as my jazz combo is on break until February. Is there a particular thread on the other forum where we should initially post?
    Not just a single thread there; it's divided up by subject, but you'll find us all there in several of the threads.

User Info Menu

It staggers me to think that I never heard this mentioned before. Sure, 'play it in all 12 keys,' but that's easy as pie if you're just moving up and down the neck chromatically (-the way Mickey Baker taught us to! ;o) but of little practical use when playing tunes. Whereas Richie's way is designed to play over changes. Why did no one think of this before????
    I first learned this 12 keys in one position (5 frets) approach in 1970 from Ted Dunbar.
    Every 5 frets contains 2 and 1/3 octaves of the chromatic scale + one unison.
    In 5 frets, a few keys are a bit awkward but not impossible. Toggling between 2 adjacent 5 fret positions
    (also known as 6 frets) resolves this issue.

Attached is a doc I've posted here several times illustrating 12 major scales in one position.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    I first learned this 12 keys in one position (5 frets) approach in 1970 from Ted Dunbar.
    Every 5 frets contains 2 and 1/3 octaves of the chromatic scale + one unison.
    In 5 frets, a few keys are a bit awkward but not impossible. Toggling between 2 adjacent 5 fret positions
    (also known as 6 frets) resolves this issue.

Attached is a doc I've posted here several times illustrating 12 major scales in one position.
    Nifty. Thanks. How many different fingerings is that?

User Info Menu

Any fingering that spans only 4 frets will appear two times within 5 frets.
    So for the diagram I attached, frets #1-5

exact duplicate shapes:

Gb and G // Db and D //

There are other shapes that are similar with just small variations.

Truthfully, I never thought in terms of counting shapes. I focused more on the intervals, the notes and the sounds.
    These details lead to shapes for which the hands became acclimated to after logging some time.

Within a 5 fret terrain, where to play a given note is predetermined. There are some left hand choices to be made
    as to which unison note to use in the 7 keys containing that note and also when and where to engage extensions
    and contractions.

The ability to see all 12 keys within any 5 frets which is a helpful companion awareness to perceiving each single key throughout the entire fingerboard.