User Info Menu

Gold membership?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Gold membership?

I hope so

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Gold membership?
    Yes. I figured the videos, mp3 files, and BIAB files were worth the extra forty bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Yes. I figured the videos, mp3 files, and BIAB files were worth the extra forty bucks.
    They are for sure!

There are many ways of fingering a scale and even the preferred ones may have slight pattern variations. Howard Roberts (The Praxis System) favoured Five Patterns, Chuck Loeb (ArtistWorks) prefers Six Patterns, and Three-Notes-Per-String is yet another popular pattern. These are all important and useful patterns that may work better in the context at hand, but I think that Richie came up with an excellent default system.

The Heptatonic Fingering (extended CAGED) System in Richie’s own words: “covers every fingering possibility available for any 7 note scale throughout the guitar’s fretboard. It organizes the scales for easier visualization and relational categorization into practical cycles when playing horizontally or vertically on the fretboard.”

It addresses all three elements: scales, arpeggios, and chord voicings. It also promotes consistency in both scales and arpeggios fingerings with the use of index, ring & pinky over a five fret stretch. The ring to pinky stretch is not imperative, but Richie does explain what the advantages are.

Another thing worth clarifying is that the idea with the 9 modules is to do only what is required in each lesson. Otherwise the 9 months might as well be 9 years. I also recommend the gold option.

User Info Menu

I got this note from Richie and he wanted me to pass it along here. (I sent him a link to this thread and he has visited it; he is happy to know people are finding his course useful.) To wit:

>>>>At present only a handful of members use the bebop guitar forum. I try to encourage members to ask questions or even give me suggestions, although I noticed that some members instead of doing so, sometimes wait to figure out the answer either on their own or from a different source. Sometimes this can cause unnecessary misunderstanding. I check the forum at least once a day and usually reply within 24 hours unless it is on the weekend or I am traveling. I am super approachable and there is no such thing as a "stupid question".

This site is relatively young, and although I welcome positive feedback,I am also very open to suggestions from members as to ways to make it better, either by adding any missing information or clarifying what is already there. My feelings aren't hurt if a member gives me constructive criticism or makes suggestions on how to make something better. On the contrary, I'm very grateful and always give it serious thought! As a matter of fact, I have altered and even corrected some information thanks to students who have been kind enough to alert me on typo's or errors that I myself did not catch, either in the PDFs or videos.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,

Richie<<<<<

User Info Menu

Nice.

destinytot Guest
    Got my attention, and I'm watching the presentation video on the site now.

destinytot Guest
    Very nice - I'll sign up for Gold at the end of the month.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Beatle
    Another thing worth clarifying is that the idea with the 9 modules is to do only what is required in each lesson. Otherwise the 9 months might as well be 9 years. I also recommend the gold option.
    I'm glad you clarified that! I've been really tempted to plow through the remaining 4 mixolydian fingers because Richie's brief explanation of how the 7 fingerings fit together through the cycle is something that has really clicked for me. I know I will get so much more out of this in the long run if I just stick to my guns. I have another week or so until Module 2 unlocks...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Very nice - I'll sign up for Gold at the end of the month.
    The more the merrier!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I'm glad you clarified that! I've been really tempted to plow through the remaining 4 mixolydian fingers because Richie's brief explanation of how the 7 fingerings fit together through the cycle is something that has really clicked for me. I know I will get so much more out of this in the long run if I just stick to my guns. I have another week or so until Module 2 unlocks...
    Since I just started today, Module 2 will open for me on New Year's Eve Eve (-Dec 30, not 31), which seems fitting. From now until then, I'll be covering the basics and getting these fingerings down. Today I was thinking---and mind you, i'm just a couple hours into this---that when I was a kid, I learned several ways to play, say, a C Major scale, and that was fine, but it's not so much help when you need to go from C to F to Bb and Eb in a couple bars in one area of the fingerboard.

User Info Menu

Exactly. Two of the tunes I play in my duet--Grooveyard and Jordu--have sections of dominants descending by fifths every two beats. How stupid do I sound improvising over this? *Really* stupid.

Hey Guys, don’t miss the Orientation Vids, especially Part 2 on Richie’s Musical Education and Teaching Style, it’s very interesting! The links are on your Welcome back … page. They showed up not too long ago and I noticed them right away, but they can be easily overlooked if you just log in and go directly to where you left off.

User Info Menu

Since I just started today, Module 2 will open for me on New Year's Eve Eve (-Dec 30, not 31), which seems fitting. From now until then, I'll be covering the basics and getting these fingerings down. Today I was thinking---and mind you, i'm just a couple hours into this---that when I was a kid, I learned several ways to play, say, a C Major scale, and that was fine, but it's not so much help when you need to go from C to F to Bb and Eb in a couple bars in one area of the fingerboard.

I get tempted so I can see what he's up to if it's really any that different than others. The thing that stops me is that month a module thing after you've studied awhile you're going to wiz thru some and take longer with others.

From what people have described so far most sounds like stuff I've seen at GIT, Berklee, and other teachers play 12 key in basically one position. GIT would say one position plus or minus one fret. Berklee I was told index finger stays in that position, but use stretch fingerings.

What I'm interested in is his ear training exercises. Using a Blues progression to start and sing roots, then once down move to singing 3rds and so on. Then do it to other tunes you're working on. That's another thing I got from a Berklee instructor. So interest in his other ear exercises and recommends ear practice exercises especially for chords.

User Info Menu

Would love to hear some examples of students before and after the 12 months course.

You can request full access right off the bat or at any time after you signed up with the gold level. If you request full access from the get-go, you forfeit the right to the money back guarantee. If you just sign up for the regular, incremental monthly access, you’ll be able to explore Module 1 and have 30 days to decide. It seems fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I'm basically in as well. I'd be interested in a study group or whatever in the coming year.
    +1

I got this note from Richie and he wanted me to pass it along here. (I sent him a link to this thread and he has visited it; he is happy to know people are finding his course useful.) To wit:

>>>>At present only a handful of members use the bebop guitar forum. I try to encourage members to ask questions or even give me suggestions, although I noticed that some members instead of doing so, sometimes wait to figure out the answer either on their own or from a different source. Sometimes this can cause unnecessary misunderstanding. I check the forum at least once a day and usually reply within 24 hours unless it is on the weekend or I am traveling. I am super approachable and there is no such thing as a "stupid question".

This site is relatively young, and although I welcome positive feedback,I am also very open to suggestions from members as to ways to make it better, either by adding any missing information or clarifying what is already there. My feelings aren't hurt if a member gives me constructive criticism or makes suggestions on how to make something better. On the contrary, I'm very grateful and always give it serious thought! As a matter of fact, I have altered and even corrected some information thanks to students who have been kind enough to alert me on typo's or errors that I myself did not catch, either in the PDFs or videos.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,

Richie<<<<<

I had 1 Skype lesson with Richie so far and he is super nice guy, but thats obvious from his videos as well.
    Ken

You can request full access right off the bat or at any time after you signed up with the gold level. If you request full access from the get-go, you forfeit the right to the money back guarantee. If you just sign up for the regular, incremental monthly access, you’ll be able to explore Module 1 and have 30 days to decide. It seems fair to me.

I like being focused on 1 module at time and even then its hard to really get ingrained in a month.
    ken

destinytot Guest
    Clinched it for me.

Thanks very much, Ken, for sharing about this course. (Now to read the whole thread over my porridge and pears.)

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Clinched it for me.

Thanks very much, Ken, for sharing about this course. (Now to read the whole thread over my porridge and pears.)

Your welcome Destinytot