The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 104

User Info Menu

Update: I compiled the results of this poll in a blog post (+ 10 transcribed licks):

TOP 10 Best Jazz Guitar Solos That Will Inspire You (+ 10 Licks)

I know this is a difficult question, but I'm going to ask it anyway:

Which is the greatest jazz guitar solo ever recorded in your opinion?

Better yet, can you give a top 3 of the jazz guitar solos you like the most and if possible with a Youtube link.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can give you the two which I consider to be among the best ever:

Charlie Christian - Swing to Bop
    Wes Montgomery - Unit 7

I can't access youtube links at the moment (restricted office desktop!)

Here they are:

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 09-07-2015 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Links added

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian Stardust and Wes Montgomery Impressions

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery, "No Blues" from the album "Smokin' at the Half Note." I reserve the right to add one or two more choices later ;o)

User Info Menu

For me, it has got to be Pat Martino's solo on "Lazybird" from his "East!" album.

1. Django Reinhardt - Fleche D'or

2. Wes Montgomery - Jingles - Live in Paris 65

3. John Abercrombie - How's Never

User Info Menu

Wes: 4 On 6 from Live at 1/2 note
    Jim Hall: Stompin' at the Savoy on Live at 1/2 Note, Art Farmer Quartet
    Ed Bickert: Squeeze Me, Pure Desmond
    Barney Kessel, On A Clear Day

User Info Menu

Charlie CHRISTIAN Flying Home
    Wes MONTGOMERY Besame Mucho
    Tal FARLOW Swedish Pastry ( in Red Norvo Trio)

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=nrubel;565484]Charlie CHRISTIAN Flying Home QUOTE]

That's one of my favorites too.

User Info Menu

Hi,

George Benson on "Leaving West" - CTI All Stars - California Concert - The Hollywood Palladium 1972

User Info Menu

This electric version of Mingus' "Better Git Hit In Your Soul" blew me away when young. It still makes me smile all over. (Not a classic jazz tone, I know, but....)

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny : Phase Dance
    Jim Hall : both soli on Concierto de Aranjuez
    Wes Montgomery : West Coast Blues - Maybe not is greatest solo ever but it hooked me to jazz 30 years ago.

User Info Menu

Love the Besame Mucho soli take one and two.

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert "Have You Met Miss Jones", from Out of the Past. Wes "No Blues", from Smoking at the Half Note. Benson's version of Breezin'. Pat Martino "Just Friends", from Strings(I think). I don't know if they are the best, but they are some of my favourites.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, Pat Martino - Just Friends, how the hell could I forget that one!

It's on 'El Hombre':

User Info Menu

City Nights by Allan Holdsworth

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery - 4 on 6
    Pat Martino - Just Friends
    Charlie Christian - Rose Room

User Info Menu

My votes go to:

Pat Martino - Just Friends
    Django Reinhardt - Honeysuckle Rose
    George Barnes - When Sunny gets Blue

For the first see above. The third is not on youtube, but a nice version can be found on Spotify.
    The second:

This is gonna be a great thread!
    Last edited by 57classic; 09-07-2015 at 06:40 PM.

User Info Menu

A fun thread topic to participate in, but as for "greatest ever", I couldn't even begin to make a choice.

But for fun's sake, these are 3 favourites that I've listened to for decades, and never tire of hearing. They all have one of the greats going "real deep" on a ballad. They all have great tone. They all have really great support from the rhythm section. They all seem to have that connection of players who grew up listening to Charlie Christian, but whose influence you can immediately here in today's most contemporary players like P.Bernstein, J.Van Ruller, Kurt Rosenwinkel,etc.

Hope you're not doing anything for the next half hour, cause these guys are gonna take you on a trip......

User Info Menu

Gene Ludwig Pat Martino Trio
    Mr.PC

User Info Menu

Hi all, new member here. I just registered so I could give my expert opinion on this most profound and poignant of topics. Anyway, just out of my undecided mind and in no particular order:

wes montgomery: gone with the wind on the incredible jazz guitar (this is my personal fave, amazing flow of ideas, melodic inventiveness, drive, all done with coherence and touch - and a smile on the face' but I could be making this last one up)
    wes Montgomery: caribe on full house (such bravado, such swing)
    wes Montgomery : here's that rainy day on a live date with Harold mabern, which name I can't remember (I just have a soft spot for this one, he was on such an amazing form)

jim hall : my funny valentine from undercurrent (?) with Bill evans - would this count as a solo? Anyway, makes me speechless

django: I'll see you in my dreams - such a beautiful melody, such a spark

ok, thanks all.

User Info Menu

Going with something a bit fusion and a bit modern, but nonetheless falling into the Jazz/blues genre, if not in a category of its own: Steely Dan, don't take me alive intro.

User Info Menu

Who knows what "greatest" means, but this is in there somewhere.

Django - I'll See You In My Dreams

User Info Menu

1. George Benson "6 to 4":

User Info Menu

I'm going to go with Wes Montgomery "Bumpin." He goes from single notes to octaves to chords and weaves nicely around the string section. I also like George Benson on a live version of "It's Too Late". It's an additional track on Johnny Hammond's "Breakout." I also like Gabor Szabo's "Evil Eye" and for a fourth solo Grant Green "My Favorite Things" from Matador.