The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

"The only way to free yourself when you jam is to limit yourself when you practice."

Excellent way of putting it. It takes a lot of discipline and patience to play on one or two strings only. With all else I have to practice, I haven't really put time into it, but I'm sure it helps. One thing I do is try to force myself to use as much of the neck as possible (even if things go completely haywire) on each tune I practice over. This has helped me break away from strict positional playing, but it's not a perfect method. You can still end up falling back on these sort of horizontal patterns or lines in certain key centers. You have to do it in all keys and different contexts.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been giving this 'play everything on one string' a go, but still can't get the chords to sound

User Info Menu

Wordsmith I think the problem's in your right hand. What sort of plectrum are you using?

User Info Menu

haha yea me i cant get it right... guess i am not good enough?

User Info Menu

I tried picking faster than the speed of sound.......heard the chord but had to run bloody fast to catch it.

User Info Menu

Now, I remember reading that the late Coltrane used to play chords on his tenor saxophone, mind you. And I wouldn't doubt it either!!

Well, discounting multi-phonics (which is only be 2 notes at once, not a chord), what Coltrane or any other horn player is referring to by "playing a chord" is that they play through the arpeggio of a chord...

Also, might I add quickly that Al Di Meola talks about practicing on a single string in his older, instructional video...indeed, IMHO this is a great way to practice.

User Info Menu

No, I was thinking of the two-note stuff obviously. No, it is not a chord, but the closest thing you can get on a saxophone.

Coincidentally, I used to be an Al di Meola fanatic when I was about 18. Nowadays, all of that who's faster than who stuff just puts me to sleep.

User Info Menu

here's John Abercrombie discussing single string stuff: