Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

Garrison Fewell old book

Hi mates.
    I've read Marc Sabatella good words about and old Jazz Improvisation book by Garrison Fewell in 1982.
    I have his two Berklee books about improvisation and I think they're absolutely great, but I want to know more about this first book.
    Any kind of information?
    I cannot find nothing in the net about it.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Bump ttt. I'd be interested in this as well. I know there's a player or two here that studied with GF. My suspicion is that this early "book" was a "handout" for his students that was later incorporated into his Berklee books. I hope I'm wrong and there's more material out there to be found from him.

Hey Guys,

I studied with Garrison back in the 90's. At the time I bought the book you're asking about. It's simply titled 'Jazz Improvisation'.

It's an actual book, not a handout. It's hand written in a style similar to the original real book font, and has a plastic comb binding. I think it's around 75 pages. I haven't looked at it in awhile.

It contains topics on guide tones, arpeggios, secondary dominants, bass lines, ii V I phrases. It also contains some written out solos over some standard tunes, both swing and latin. It's not exhaustive, but it is a very good book for intermediate players looking to get started with improvising. There is no tab whatsoever, it's all music notation.

I emailed Garrison about the book, and he mentioned that he still has a few copies left. If anyone is interested in purchasing one, just send him an email. I'm thinking of picking up another copy as mine is pretty worn out.

Good luck,
    Dana
    Last edited by Dana; 06-30-2015 at 10:46 AM.
    Check out my new book, Essential Skills for the Guitarist on Amazon.

I'll see him tonite. Let me ask him and see what he says about further access to it.
    David

Man, I am so happy to read that Garrison is still out there thriving.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 06-09-2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
    I am so happy to read the Garrison is still out there thriving.
    And sounding more inspired than ever. Listening to the muses recently.

David

Garrison Fewell old book-screen-shot-2015-06-09-12-47-21-pm-png

The book, quite a thoughtful and comprehensive look at soloing, gives some good explanations and examples of all sorts of linear approaches necessary for working inside the jazz genre. 75 pages of harmonic examples with his melodies. It's a surprizingly compact and informed look at guitar jazz.
    He self published these originally but when he wrote his books for Berklee Press, these went in a box and remained untouched. He's got maybe 10 and then they're history.
    Maybe he'll put these back in print himself. I'll see. But if you're really looking to do the work yourself (this is not a collection of plug in licks, it's more a catalog of harmonic situations and suggestions on how you might approach them) it's a really concise guide to a very informed harmonic language.
    By the way, he's got a book of interviews with jazz figures, an inside look at some remarkably gifted figures he's had the chance to work with. That's worth checking out. It's called Inside Voices.
    David

Garrison Fewell old book-garrison-duo-jpg

I just received another copy from Garrison. Here's what the cover of the book looks like.
    Garrison Fewell old book-img_0803_zpsqhznionx-jpg

Thanks Dana.
    Could you make a snapshot to the contents page?

Garrison Fewell old book-photo-2-jpg

You should know that Garrison is very sick now. Please be mindful and respectful of this in contacts with him.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post

You should know that Garrison is very sick now. Please be mindful and respectful of this in contacts with him.
    David
    I followed him for quite some time. Was afraid to ask you how he´s doing. This is breaking my heart right now.

Never met him, but from what I have heard and read he comes across as a true "mensch".

Ted

How do you order this book?
    "Ahhh - those Jazz guys are just makin' that stuff up!" - Homer Simpson

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

The book is long out of print. He had but a few left in a box and I don't know how many now. If you did get one, it'd need to be directly from him. At one point I asked him if he wanted to self publish a new edition, he was intrigued at the idea. But now, his spirits are high and strong-but he can not even play guitar. That's the situation in words.
    David

Well to bad it's out of print.

How sick is he? Does the outcome not look good?

I hope he recovers from whatever illness he is struggling with.
    Last edited by edh; 07-01-2015 at 09:46 PM.
    "Ahhh - those Jazz guys are just makin' that stuff up!" - Homer Simpson

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed