The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: PICK ONE (gun to head...)

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • SWING

47 24.35%
  • BEBOP

26 13.47%
  • HARD BOP

35 18.13%
  • COOL

15 7.77%
  • MODAL

8 4.15%
  • POST BOP

33 17.10%
  • FUSION AND/OR FREE

29 15.03%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 90 of 90

User Info Menu

None of the above for me. Instead, my focus IS solo chord melody. Or, to be more correct, simply solo guitar that borrows heavily from "jazz" harmony. Essentially, I am recreating what is typically known as cocktail piano on the guitar.

As Robert Conti poses the question...why do guitar players call it "chord melody" when piano players simply call it "music"? Hmmmmm.

Tony

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sorry, PP, I don't really do styles, I do songs and tunes. If I like them I don't care what style they are. No one style has a monopoly on good stuff!

but I quite like that clever modern modal business...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    None of the above for me. Instead, my focus IS solo chord melody. Or, to be more correct, simply solo guitar that borrows heavily from "jazz" harmony. Essentially, I am recreating what is typically known as cocktail piano on the guitar.

As Robert Conti poses the question...why do guitar players call it "chord melody" when piano players simply call it "music"? Hmmmmm.

Tony
    Hi, T,
    Guitar is a homophonic instrument and if a musician ignores this important reality, he misses the full texture of guitar music. So, chord-melody is the technique that uses the guitar as a complete instrument. It also is indicative of a player's total musicianship since he/she must pay attention to the music on two levels--melody and chords and how they interact musically. And, for me "cocktail piano/guitar" is not a pejorative term since it describes the complete player.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I’ll take Ignorable Jazz I can play at a wedding cocktail hour and go home with $1,500.

edit: I see I’m not the only one. Haha

User Info Menu

modal and free ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I’ll take Ignorable Jazz I can play at a wedding cocktail hour and go home with $1,500.

edit: I see I’m not the only one. Haha
    Hi, A,
    I'll do it for half! How's that for Capitalism!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, A,
    I'll do it for half! How's that for Capitalism!
    Marinero
    Bad. As a player with 30 years experience you should be better than me and more expensive. Capitalism isn’t a race to the bottom.

...Capitalism isn’t a race to the bottom.
    Really?

User Info Menu

Well it shouldn’t be. Haha

Well it shouldn’t be. Haha
    Ha, yeah, in an ideal world..... but we're a long way from that now, right?

User Info Menu

Bad. As a player with 30 years experience you should be better than me and more expensive. Capitalism isn’t a race to the bottom.
    Hi, A,
    I'm a capitalist to the core however, I never got $1500. for a solo gig . . . ever. Congrats! You must have some excellent skills/connections.
    Marinero
    Last edited by Marinero; 11-07-2022 at 10:17 AM. Reason: addition

User Info Menu

I went with Cool. When I think of that, I'm thinking late 40's early 50's like Miles Davis Birth of the Cool, the Tristano school (Lennie Tristano, Lee Konitz, Warne Marsh etc.), Chet Baker, Gerry Mulligan and others along those lines.

User Info Menu

Black Jazz.

User Info Menu

Organ trio, all day all night.

Hard bop. That's a kind of loose "sub-genre," but I associate "it" with any number of interesting original compositions that still have negotiable changes (i.e., not exactly modal jazz, no matter how many chords are present in a modal tune, nor their harmonic rhythm).

Not really because of any supposed bluesier influence, either. It's just where I'd put many of the players I admire in, that bag or loose timeline (say, 1955 to mid/late 1960s, with plenty of overlap with other styles).

So, you know, if I had to pick....or put my finger on it...that's about it. I get to use bop-style angular chromaticism, outlining chords, any number of sounds (or even clichés) that are idiomatic. On the recordings, acoustic pianos became better recorded in general, and innovators like Horace, Elmo Hope, Herbie, came out swinging, Hammond organ came on the scene in the form one recognizes today.

With strong reservations about just picking one style, I guess that's the bedrock for me.