The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Swing is simply a matter of syncopation and anticipation. Due to the odd number of beats in the triplet 1.5, it will generally fall on the 'and' of a beat, and this create momentum.

Swing is just an anticipation of the beat and to push it along. So lets say you are playing 4/4 start your rhythm on the 'and' of 4 in the previous bar, to give the new bar momentum. Just do that on every bar, hit the 'and' of beat 4.

You will notice the rhythm start to sound quite jazzy.

Now do the same but add your hit on the 'and' of beat 2, so now you are hitting beat 2 'and' + beat 4 'and'

try to tap your foot whilst doing this and you will notice immediately how the rhythm seems to have mooch more drive to it.

Now add the triplet feel over this, which you nearly already have and your away.

(go to youtube find a video expelling the swing beat if you have issues)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thank you Archtopheaven ......... Im practicing with a metronome . That really helped Thank you all again

User Info Menu

I don't believe a triplet has 1.5 beats ... It doesn't divide evenly that way. 3 to a quarter note ... 3 to a half note ... 3 to a whole note etc. Comes out .3333333 beats ... .6666666 beats and 1.3333333 beats. For that reason triplets don't fall on the and of a beat unless you start it there. I think what people are referring to is the actual placement of ands within a beat. In swing stuff that can sound like a quarter note and eighth note under a triplet depending on the tempo and style.

1.5 beats would be a dotted quarter note. Still a super cool rhythm but not the same.

User Info Menu

Pardon didn't mean post that twice
    Last edited by pamosmusic; 11-19-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: accidently posted twice

User Info Menu

Thank you Pamosmusic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I don't believe a triplet has 1.5 beats ... It doesn't divide evenly that way. 3 to a quarter note ... 3 to a half note ... 3 to a whole note etc. Comes out .3333333 beats ... .6666666 beats and 1.3333333 beats. For that reason triplets don't fall on the and of a beat unless you start it there. I think what people are referring to is the actual placement of ands within a beat. In swing stuff that can sound like a quarter note and eighth note under a triplet depending on the tempo and style.

1.5 beats would be a dotted quarter note. Still a super cool rhythm but not the same.

When I went to music school explained Swing as triplet with first two notes tied together.

User Info Menu

I was really just trying to simplify it. The point of swing is to feel movement in rhythm. When you start to understand how to push and pull rhythms with simple ideas like accenting the 'ands' it just helps you get more of a feel. Once you get that feel, you can then start to subdivide it. Just playing triplets will sound boring. Its the syncopation and accenting that creates swing, not a division of dotted quavers tied to a semi quaver (or whatever).

"Swing eighth notes are generally played legato (slurred). Accenting the "and" between each beat slightly is also a common swing characteristic"

Don't get bogged down luke in the small detail. Theres a million different ways to interoperate swing and understand the swung rhythm. Just keep your steady 4/4 beat and play around with the accents (that is the 'and' of the beats) Push into them by say using the and of 4 to anticipate the coming bar, or delay the coming bar by holding off till the 'and' of beat 1

Then once you'v got comfortable doing that, start adding some syncopation with your hits, to make it sound more musical. if you don't know what syncopation is, well then thats another thread :-))

User Info Menu

Apologies. Didn't mean to imply that I was disagreeing with your ideas. Just clarifying that a triplet is not a beat and a half. It doesn't divide up that way. And Docbop... I think I said it as a quarter and eighth under a triplet which is the same as three triplets w the first two tied together. Yours is probably a bit clearer. Good call.

User Info Menu

Apologies. Didn't mean to imply that I was disagreeing with your ideas. Just clarifying that a triplet is not a beat and a half. It doesn't divide up that way. And Docbop... I think I said it as a quarter and eighth under a triplet which is the same as three triplets w the first two tied together. Yours is probably a bit clearer. Good call.

Not at all mate, you were right too point it out. I was being lose with my information and would have called on it anyway.

Don't worry :-)

User Info Menu

Thank you so much again Docbop , Archtopheaven and Pamosmusic for your great inputs ........ Its really helping me a LOT. Trying really hard to get the accents right

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukeguitar
    Thank you so much again Docbop , Archtopheaven and Pamosmusic for your great inputs ........ Its really helping me a LOT. Trying really hard to get the accents right
    The knowing the technical of the notation is nice, but the real teacher is listening to lots of Swinging Jazz and getting the feel into your gut.

User Info Menu

Very true ........ Been listening to lots of Charlie Christian's stuffs. Thank you so much docbop and others for being so helpful ........ I do wish someone would do a video lesson on swing and upload it on you tube though