The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

So you gotta do what works for yourself...I mean the point or goal isn't to be thinking about playing.... the goal is playing.

Some... or many of us have different definitions of what playing... playing jazz is. no right, wrong, good, bad.

Personally... when I play... there are always different references and organizations going on, it's just the way I work. No right or wrong... Melodies, changes... tunes can change and usually do. Depending on gig, and if I have a choice, the last thing I want to do is play a tune the same every time. Even on cover gigs, shows etc... the rhythm section will stretch and have fun.

And as Eight String said... he uses his ears, again... how else would you want to play. Maybe one difference for me is... there isn't any difference between using my ears and thinking about playing. My thinking is my ears or visa versa, there's no delay or different feeling from either. My ears only hear what I'm thinking or have thought about. Like I say to much... I'm always ahead of what's going on. That doesn't mean I'm not in the moment, maybe just I'm aware of what the moment is... Like I said. you need to do what works for you... I do.

Getting back to the fretboard thing... basically the same thing, why can't you have different references and relationships going on at the same time. What's stopping you from being aware of a few Key Centers simultaneously, personally it's just a habit, you get use to what ever you do etc...

Maybe... because your not really aware of... or understand what that relationship is or could be, in reference to Tonal centers or Key centers.... maybe that's where the thinking think comes in, your really trying to figure out the relationships while you play... at the speed of jazz. As compared to really just plugging and playing relationships that one has already figured out and have become preconceived concepts that you just apply... like playing two notes instead of one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Like Eight String, if I understood correctly, when I first see chord sheet I look at each one to see if I already have a favorite grip for it, if not to figure one.
    Then I try playing one after another, to hear if there's any melody coming out of it, if not I change grips and rhythm until I get it going. Usually, while doing this global key center becomes obvious. If they are not coming out organically, melody and key center, I look at key signature to fill the gaps.

Once I have it as a song, I don't think about it any more, I already know what will sound good, except when I don't know.
    When not sure what to do, then I think "song is in the key of ..., chord is ..., I'd better play arpeggio before it's too late.", or something similar.