The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi there.

I know that Rhythm Changes are usually played really fast.
    This is part of what makes it a very frustrating experience for me to try and learn them:
    Fast 8th-notes-lines sound very good, but are very hard to pull off.
    On slower tempos, 8th-notes-lines are easier to deliver and control but sound boring
    extremely quickly.

As for fast tempos: There are a whole lot of great recorded solos to cop lines from.

But which recordings do any of you know that are below a tempo of quarter notes at,
    let´s say, 180 bpm.

I collected some; most of them don´t appeal to me. That´s why I´m asking for input.

Thanks,
    Best,
    H.

ps: Sorry for the typo in the headline.... Noticed too late ....
    Last edited by Helgo; 04-23-2014 at 05:03 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Flintstones?

User Info Menu

Hank Mobley did a few but I can't remember names off hand, have a dig through great tasteful player.

User Info Menu

Load a song into Audacity or Garageband (or any other DAW), and slow it down to whatever tempo you want.

User Info Menu

Check out Jamey Aebersold, he has rhythm changes in all keys fast and slow. Volume 47, I believe.

User Info Menu

Hello Helgo

Blackout - Red Garland

Lumpy - Mike Stern

Ginecology - Alberto Marsico's Organlogistics
    Alberto Marsico: Organ Logistics (CD) ? jpc
    There is also a youtube video of that tune, but on the record is a great guitar solo by Lorenzo Frizerra. It builds up from a simple rhythmic motif on one note to great bebop lines. Really great stuff!

Off topic: I attended a Concert of them in Dresden where Lorenzo did a solo in the same manner, building from almost nothing to WOW. After his solo the band continued the tune for at least 5 (!) minutes at half the volume, because the audience didn't stop applauding. That was really a great solo and a great experience. Check him out and don't miss a chance to hear him live!

Grüße ;-)
    Christoph

User Info Menu

Dexter Gordon - Apple Jump is a relaxed tempo and a great solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Dexter Gordon - Apple Jump is a relaxed tempo and a great solo.
    Charles McNeal has done a transcription of this solo (for tenor sax):

http://www.charlesmcneal.com/uploads...terGordon_.pdf

User Info Menu

Hi all.

Thanks a lot for your ideas and suggestions!!

GuyBoden - I think thtis rendition of Flintstones is pretty fast... But thanks for posting!

Dan from Foulds: Hank Mobly is a good listening suggestion! I dig his playing! If I find something, I´ll post it here on this thread!

RyanM and lkmuller:
    Sorry, I should have specified that I am looking for actual solos at the mentioned speed. My experience is that copping
    fast lines and playing them at slower tempos doesn´t sound too good most of the time. Fast lines just need to be played
    fast I guess
    That´s why I am looking for slick lines at a not-so-fast-tempo. (So no slow-downed versions or backing tracks)
    But thanks for posting, guys!

grahambop and Stanford J17: Thanks guys! I´ll check it out!

Keep 'em coming!!

Cheers,
    H.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Oleo

The Eternal Triangle

Good Bait

User Info Menu

Hi all.

David B: Thanks for your suggestions - although the first two examples seem pretty fast to me. But anyways,
    thanks for taking the time to share!

Stanford J17 / Christoph: Was geht ab? Das ist ja ein h-a-m-m-e-r-t-r-a-c-k! Thanks a lot for this tip with "Ginecology" by Organlogistics. It´s exactly my taste and might be the best guitar solo I´ve heard in quite a while.
    Guys, this track is 0.99 USD on itunes... go check it out!

Dan from Foulds: I took a dive into my collection of Hank Mobley albums... What a pleasure! Thanks for making me listen back to his music again...

Two sweet and not-too-fast Rhythm changes tracks of Hank´s are "Peckin' Time" from the album of the same name and "Barrel of Funk" from "Hank Mobley Sextet". Have fun.
    (Also, I really re-discovered the non-rhythm-changes Hank Mobley tunes "This I Dig of You" off of "Soul Station" and the track "Uh Huh" with Grant Green on guitar (album: Work Out).

Thanks a lot all you guys!

Cheers,
    H.

User Info Menu

Goodbait's not rhythm changes. But it's a great Coltrane solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Goodbait's not rhythm changes. But it's a great Coltrane solo.
    Hi Henry,
    I included Good Bait as it's just rhythm changes A section in two different keys. I study with Sheryl Bailey and she encourages learning this tune when first tackling rhythm changes. P

User Info Menu

Yes, it is the A section in Bb and Eb.

User Info Menu

Also, I'm pretty sure there are many songs which use the Rhythm Changes bridge (although that is the easier part of the changes to navigate, I think). For example Stompin At The Savoy use the bridge from Rhythm Changes but up a half-step from the key of the tune (e.g. tune in Db but bridge uses D natural 3-6-2-5 cycle before resolving down). Stompin is usually taken at a pretty reasonable tempo and not too fast. Jim Hall recorded it so that could be a great resource for you.

User Info Menu

Dexterity is often played medium or medium up rather than fast.

It's btw a beautiful melody IMO

Jens