The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

...............never SEEN Grant Green on video before.awesome trio

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

any more footage of GREEN

User Info Menu

I think that's the ONLY clip Would love to be proved wrong !

User Info Menu

That's the only one I know about - I wonder if there is more footage from this gig around somewhere.

User Info Menu

There is an interview in Wax Poetics magazine (issue 31, 2008) with Grant's guitar playing son, Grant Green jr.
    GG jr says

"there is actually one more video out there of my old man playing. And I know where it is. [laughs] A friend of mine has it in Cleveland. And it's the funky era, like 1973 or '74."

Grant Green Jr. goes on to say that he thought the film was made to be used as a 'cinema short' between movies.
    Wonder why it was never released in the years since the interview? Perhaps it's being saved for a doco or something.

User Info Menu

I so wish there was video footage of his bands!

User Info Menu

I transcribed Green's solo a few years ago. I love how he keeps coming back to that triplet figure as a kind of motif.

Also, Burrell's tone is awesome.

greens soloing is fantastic....what an enigma he is...all we have are the recordings...i could listen to him all day...well not all of it....lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    greens soloing is fantastic....what an enigma he is...all we have are the recordings...i could listen to him all day...well not all of it....lol

Green's ex daughter-in-law collaborated with Green's family, friends, and acquaintances in putting the book together.

There is a thread about it here on this forum.

Sadly, I had hoped he would have been a little more transcendent - but he was just a person trying to find his way in a challenging world that is ever-changing, and trying to live with the present situation that his past produced.

Still, the book fascinated me in that it painted a picture of the Jazz scene that Grant was a part of.

influenced by saxophonists parker etc,his approach was therefore almost exclusively linear rather than chordal.. simplicity and immediacy of Green's playing, which tended to avoid chromaticism, derived from his early work playing rhythm and blues.... "lithe, loose, slightly bluesy and righteously groovy". Grant achieved his tone by turning off the bass and treble settings of his amplifier, and maximizing the midrange. This way he could get his signature punchy, biting tone.

No theres more!

Would like to see all of it though.......
    Last edited by LeftysBlues; 06-01-2014 at 06:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Would've like to see more of that video. But great to see another footage of Green.

User Info Menu

The guy that uploaded this clip to youtube posted this in the 'about' section:

Published on May 22, 2014
    for a trade copy , e-mails ,, fabiodrummy@gmail.com
    THE GREAT GUITARS , Live ''Jazz-Sessions'' Tv-Studio ,Parigi,
    in Paris1969, t.68'minutes , 1^ ,DVD ,set ..
    1,,Kenny Burrell,cht ,trio, ,Larry Ridley,cb,,Don Lamond,dr,
    2,,Barney Kessell,cht ,trio, ,,Larry Ridley,cb,,Don Lamond,dr,
    3,,Grant Green,cht ,trio, ,Larry Ridley,cb,,Don Lamond,dr,
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,
    THE GREAT GUITARS , Live ''Jazz-sessions'' Tv-Studio Parigi, in Paris..1969 ,, t.71'minutes , ..2^ ,DVD ,set ..
    1,,Kenny Burrell,cht ,Barney Kessell,cht ,Grant Green,cht ,,Larry Ridley,cb ,,Don Lamond,dr, Live TRIO jam sessions...

So possibly there's over 20mins of footage of just GG with bass and drums. I gotta get this.

User Info Menu

OMG....I think I'm going to cry!

Just seeing GG in action....WOW! I remember hearing how Kieth Richards and Eric Clapton felt after the Robert Johnson photos finally surfaced in the late 1980's.

User Info Menu

We need to get and share this please!

User Info Menu

A gift from the Angels....viva la France

What wonderful news this is!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Burrell's tone sure is awesome in that colour film from Ronnie Scott's!!!!! This is also the earliest film of Kenny Burrell too that I'm a aware of anyway.

I found this today - my greatest contribution to jazz guitar ! ......finding it after rummaging around on youtube - i deliberately stuck the 3 names in in hope ....yeah!
    lets get the whole thing whacked up -
    ps still struggling at 54 w guitar did yrs as sax player - but i gotta say playin, ATTYA and TWNBAY is miles easier on a Tenor..
    Grant Green wot a player, like an RnB guy who could really play jazz ..
    Check on Lous Blues CDv the track Brother John . did any other 3 men groove as much ./;?
    Last edited by LeftysBlues; 06-01-2014 at 12:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Grant Green Jr. posted at his Facebook page a small video and said that is possible to buy an entire concert from Grant Green here:

http://store.payloadz.com/details/21...d-product.html

Here is a short video:

http://www.frequency.com/video/grant...952?cid=5-2393
    Last edited by clebergf; 10-02-2014 at 09:10 PM.