The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 468

User Info Menu

So posting to Soundcloud is less complex than Box.com? I have not checked out Soundcloud. Thanks for the info.

Thank you, Also Ran, for the vote of confidence. Totally justified. Do stay tuned. My wife returned last night. I've been busy.

Actually, although the subject initially was about 'backing tracks' which I do use daily for rehearsal purposes, I ended up revising the original piano, guitar, string bass, and vocal recording and arrangement of Estate for the following reason. I couldn't get the recording to sound less "mechanical" than what happens when you are playing to a strict click track. What I found was that dropping the 'piano' track made the recording more 'human' but it still was too mechanical. But I still strongly advocate using backing tracks for rehearsal purposes and perhaps as percussion/bass tracks.

So I've been recording Estate and a couple of other songs to release as videos at the same time. Songs include Estate, Georgia On My Mind, Cry Me A River, It's Impossible, and likely It Could Happen to You. Ironically, I'm recording them as either solo or two guitar tracks plus or minus vocals. So no unhuman tracks. All guitar and voice. So there won't be any doubt. Coming soon. Very soon. I will check out Soundcloud today. Hope they permit 'covers'. Frankly, I'd rather just upload the recordings rather than go through the extra step of creating the YT videos for now. Just too pressed for time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There is nothing complex about dragging and dropping a file

User Info Menu

DJ, if you sign up for Box.com, which I did last week, they offer you a series of five or so video "lessons" on how to post. Not exactly "drag and drop". Hopefully Soundcloud is a bit more intuitive than taking lessons....I'm going to sign up today. I hope they allow covers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    DJ, if you sign up for Box.com, which I did last week, they offer you a series of five or so video "lessons" on how to post. Not exactly "drag and drop". Hopefully Soundcloud is a bit more intuitive than taking lessons....I'm going to sign up today. I hope they allow covers.
    At last count there were about a billion covers on Soundcloud. I have never heard of them or anyone else having a problem with that.

So I've been recording Estate and a couple of other songs to release as videos at the same time.
    Why not just post the videos to youtube?

User Info Menu

I for one would be sincerely interested in hearing the backing tracks of which targuit was so proud last week. I am still in relatively early stages of learning to play jazz guitar. This forum has an abundance of generous and knowledgeable contributors. When I hear the music someone puts out, it affects how I prioritize their advice and knowledge sharing.

User Info Menu

That is not true....I drag and drop all the time....and it's a free account. All you have to do is decide on the privacy settings on how you would like the file to reside on box. Basically a check box....private or public

Let me get this straight, you have no problems working with Sibelius and complex MIDI scenarios, but you can't figure out how to upload a file?

It's not 1998....uploading files and sharing them has never been easier.

User Info Menu

Jabbarn - The music I recorded is not yet in video form - it is wav.files on my Korg D1200 recorder. The next step is to create a CD-R on the Korg and enter the CD into iTunes for conversion to mp3, mp4 or other file format. This is not difficult, but takes some time for each song. But creating the video(s) requires the use of Windows Moviemaker and matching a couple of photos for visual interest or distraction as you prefer. I did not create a video of my performance, in part because I don't have a decent camcorder. I just want to put up the music. Frankly, though I want to put up the video as well on YouTube, I could use the technical assistance of my teenage son with the YT part.

The arrangement of backing tracks (synth string bass, piano, harmonica, and my live guitar and vocals) is a nice arrangement, but in part because it is non-human, the piano and synth bass have a kind of "mechanical" quality which to me is not pleasing. I use these arrangements for rehearsal purposes nightly (I have a library of over 200), but that is different from what I want to put out on my name. And I am a "perfectionist", which is not always a good thing. I was pleased with the live vocals and guitar, but less content with the piano part in conjunction with the bass.

So, I decided to re-record versions of Estate as well as the other songs I mentioned in order to put up one longer video so I don't have to upload several times on YT. In the meantime, however, if uploading onto Soundcloud is easier, I will do that to get these things out where someone can listen. I just signed up under my actual name on that site, but I have not had the time actually to read the procedures. In signing up, I did read the 'terms of service', in which the site seemed to suggest that subscribers uploading videos are responsible for securing the rights to the music presented. All these songs are copyrighted. So I just want to be sure I am not violating anything. Since this is not for remuneration, and since others here say there are many covers up on the site, I hope that is the case.

In any case, the songs I recorded are essentially my live vocals and one or two tracks of my live guitar playing. No comping or Autotune. A dash of dynamics processing and soft compression. But basically classical nylon string guitar as a take - no comping with the Korg - theory it is possible, but in practice I prefer to just re-record another take.

The backing tracks are not "bad", just too mechanical for my tastes and perfectionist streak. That does not negate my opinion that using these kinds of tracks for rehearsal or other purposes are not valid and helpful. But when I put out music under my name, it must meet my standards.

When I get the music up on Soundcloud - all live - you all can be the judge. But if you think I would waste my time on this site as a phony or a rank amateur, then you don't know me. Whether you like what I play, that is up to you.

Jay
    Last edited by targuit; 11-12-2014 at 11:41 AM.

User Info Menu

DJ - I did not yet get past the sign up on Box.com to watch the five videos or whatever that are suggested as "tutorials" on how to use the file sharing site. Are you saying I am confabulating that? Anyone who wants to verify what I said can just go to the site and read it themselves. In any case, I have not had the time between 'single parenting' the past two plus weeks and my job as a physician, which does take up a chunk of my 'free' time, to get past the tutorial stage. If it so drag and drop, then why the tutorials?

And yes, my son is better at creating YT windows movie maker videos than I. Call me a tech troglodyte but that is the facts. Please withhold judgement till I get the stuff up on Soundcloud which I presume is easier than putting up a YT video (less time intensive). And it was quite a learning curve learning to use Sibelius. Not an overnight deal.

So covers are ok, even assuming no one pays royalties unless they intend to monetize?

Jay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluemusic4us
    I must admit, I usually dump out of threads after about page 3. But this is like a soap opera.
    I can't wait for the next episode.
    Next episode? There is no next episode. Just repeats...

User Info Menu

DJ - I did not yet get past the sign up on Box.com to watch the five videos or whatever that are suggested as "tutorials" on how to use the file sharing site. Are you saying I am confabulating that? Anyone who wants to verify what I said can just go to the site and read it themselves. In any case, I have not had the time between 'single parenting' the past two plus weeks and my job as a physician, which does take up a chunk of my 'free' time, to get past the tutorial stage. If it so drag and drop, then why the tutorials?

And yes, my son is better at creating YT windows movie maker videos than I. Call me a tech troglodyte but that is the facts. Please withhold judgement till I get the stuff up on Soundcloud which I presume is easier than putting up a YT video (less time intensive). And it was quite a learning curve learning to use Sibelius. Not an overnight deal.

So covers are ok, even assuming no one pays royalties unless they intend to monetize?

Jay
    If there are tutorials I never watched them....

I'm very skilled at very BASIC computer stuff...like "create new folder"...and dragging files into them. It's not like you have to be a physician or anything of that caliber.

User Info Menu

Vladan - that is a disturbing image you have of me. How old are you? I thought you had more class than that, but it would not be the first time I'm wrong.

User Info Menu

Dude, just quit the stalling bs and post your clips.

User Info Menu

Anyway, DJ, I just signed up this morning on SoundCloud, where covers are hopefully ok. Looks easier. No tutorials (5) to watch.

Jay

User Info Menu

Anyway, DJ, I just signed up this morning on SoundCloud, where covers are hopefully ok. Looks easier. No tutorials (5) to watch.

Jay
    Any cover you would do falls under Fair Use Doctrine since it is not for profit and somewhat educational (demonstrating the end product of Software, MIDI, etc, used and already discussed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    Well said.

I have a personal conviction about this:

If a cat can't blow decent single lines his solo guitar stuff is going to be lame. The guys who "specialize" in solo guitar are, in effect, saying they can't really cut it paying real music....so they play their brand of rubato solo guitar nonsense. It's horrible and should be stopped. ;-(
    Does that apply to Joe Pass? Herb doing 'Danny Boy/Send In The Clowns', Wes doing 'While We're Young' or
    'I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face'? Personally, this is my favorite kind of guitar music - I like pretty songs and these are some of the best. Also, the stuff that Joe did with Ella is, to me, is beyond great and a couple of his last albums were recorded at the kitchen table using a nylon string guitar - shear genius, IMHO. I will not listen to players who improvise mindlessly for the sake of improvisation - I get bored to tears after about 4 bars - if there's not a melody that I can whistle while walking down the street, I don't want to hear it - but, then, that's just me. To me, the Great American Songbook and the big band era was the height of musical perfection. Guys who play this kind of solo guitar may not be playing in strict time but they are playing with feel and emotion that gets across to the audience.

Just my $0.02 as uneducated as it may be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djangoles
    Any cover you would do falls under Fair Use Doctrine since it is not for profit and somewhat educational (demonstrating the end product of Software, MIDI, etc, used and already discussed.
    I read soundcloud's policy and they seem to be saying that if someone samples a Michael Jackson track to do a 'DJ remix' (whatever the hell that is), but hardly changes it, Soundcloud MIGHT think that's a bit out of order, because it wasn't 'creative' enough.

So I think doing your own cover from scratch of a jazz standard is of no concern to them whatsoever.

User Info Menu

Vladan - that is a disturbing image you have of me. How old are you? I thought you had more class than that, but it would not be the first time I'm wrong.
    Jay, sorry, it was over the edge. I hoped for a humorous twist, like he loves crocks just as you love arrangements of Jazz music, but I was wrong and wrong and sorry again.

User Info Menu

Thank you, Vladan! Of course, you could delete that gross image. I'm no longer a pretty boy, but I don't look quite that bad yet! There is an expression in English regarding crocks and excrement. Hope you weren't referring to that....

You sound quite young to me, btw. If so, lucky you. Technology is likely in your genes. Not the blue ones. Well, maybe a cellphone.

And thanks for the reassuring words, DJ, regarding covers and copyright and Soundcloud. I cannot wait to upload the files. I have not yet checked to see what file formats are supported or required. Details, details....it is easier for me to play the damn music than to "package" it. My fault for being older. But I ain't dead....yet.

Skip - I'm with you. But don't worry.

Jay
    Last edited by targuit; 11-12-2014 at 03:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Does that apply to Joe Pass? Herb doing 'Danny Boy/Send In The Clowns', Wes doing 'While We're Young' or
    'I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face'? Personally, this is my favorite kind of guitar music - I like pretty songs and these are some of the best. Also, the stuff that Joe did with Ella is, to me, is beyond great and a couple of his last albums were recorded at the kitchen table using a nylon string guitar - shear genius, IMHO. I will not listen to players who improvise mindlessly for the sake of improvisation - I get bored to tears after about 4 bars - if there's not a melody that I can whistle while walking down the street, I don't want to hear it - but, then, that's just me. To me, the Great American Songbook and the big band era was the height of musical perfection. Guys who play this kind of solo guitar may not be playing in strict time but they are playing with feel and emotion that gets across to the audience.

All those cats could blow single lines, so Richb's conviction does not apply.

I do agree with him about "rubato solo guitar nonsense". Things played without time are very unappealing to me. This does not apply to those players you mentioned. It is also very important to me to hear interaction among musicians.

Don't think he was meaning that. I read it as a kind of "those who can't improvise often 'specialize' in chord melody". Don't know what I think about that but there's something there.

Joe and Herb obviously don't fall into that category. They weren't 'specializing' out of a lack of being able to otherwise pull it off...

User Info Menu

Standard Stuff will work...

What types of files can I upload?

We support AIFF, WAVE (WAV), FLAC, ALAC, OGG, MP2, MP3, AAC, AMR, and WMA files. The maximum file size is 5GB.

​Please note, if your sound is over 6 hours and 45 minutes long, our system will not be able to process it.

SoundCloud | What types of files can I upload?

User Info Menu

Rubato's like curry powder. You don't put it in everything.

Rich's comment was directed at those who play solo because they can't play with others. If you've got crappy time, playing solo is a great enabler...trust me, I play a lot of solo...I've learned some lessons the hard way.

User Info Menu

I'm with Richb on "solo arrangement only" guitar players. And you just named 3 players who were incredible single note improvising players which only serves to further back up Rich's point. The fact that they are such quick and tasteful improvisers lends greatly to their chord melody playing.

Quote Originally Posted by danwaineo
    All those cats could blow single lines, so Richb's conviction does not apply.

I do agree with him about "rubato solo guitar nonsense". Things played without time are very unappealing to me. This does not apply to those players you mentioned. It is also very important to me to hear interaction among musicians.
    +1 you beat me to it...