The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 121 of 121
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    The tip on exercise 1a with "5note phrase" really helps me with that exercise. Awesome
    i didn't mention this but I love applying that approach to any 4 note pattern. Instant hipness. Adam rogers uses that device a lot

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I read through the last chapter of SOS, Introduction to Dodecaphonics. I played the examples and they sounded damn cool. Would you suggest some books or articles on Dodecaphonics on a simpleton level?

Quote Originally Posted by oeblio
    I read through the last chapter of SOS, Introduction to Dodecaphonics. I played the examples and they sounded damn cool. Would you suggest some books or articles on Dodecaphonics on a simpleton level?
    unfortunately, i'm not aware of any books on the subject. Dodecaphonics is just a term I coined for something I developed as a followup to larry wooldridge's diatonic plurals from my studies with him in the '70s.

levine's book is a good one for overall jazz theory.

The Jazz Theory Book: Mark Levine: 9781883217044: Amazon.com: Books

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply! I have Levine's book around here somewhere. I will dig it out.
    The 'spreadsheet harmony' in the examples will keep me busy for a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Dodecaphonics is just a term I coined...
    I'm afraid Schoenberg beat you to it, my friend.

Twelve-tone technique - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I'm afraid Schoenberg beat you to it, my friend.

Twelve-tone technique - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ummm...I wasn't claiming that I invented the word, but i'm pretty sure I was the first to apply the word to the idea of diatonic synonyms, my friend...

User Info Menu

<deleted off topic post that took away from the spirit of the thread...>
    Last edited by Jehu; 04-21-2014 at 09:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Jack, are you still continuing this series...?

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Jack, are you still continuing this series...?
    I'm debating whether to continue here or on my own blog. This place can get pretty crazy with name calling, personal insults/attacks and stalkers. Luckily, this thread has been well behaved but I'm trying to decide whether it would be beneficial to go to a more neutral location for the lessons.

Thoughts are welcome.

User Info Menu

I think it would be very well received if you move it, but so far it has been going great on this particular forum. The benefit of keeping it on this site of course, is that it is accessible to a lot more folks; as this an already well-known spot.

I personally got a lot out of the first exercise, even though I had to modify it up the neck some, due to back/neck troubles.
    Last edited by srlank; 04-21-2014 at 03:30 PM.

i'm not sure the material is accessible if you're not a member here though. If on a private blog it would be visible to anyone.

In any event, life gets in the way and I'm not sure I can get Lesson II online until early May.

User Info Menu

That sounds great Jack.....plenty to milk from lesson I. Look forward to II in May, or whenever it's convenient.
    Last edited by srlank; 04-21-2014 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm ok with any location. It's a bit convenient here because I've already got the forum on my phone but I can easily look elsewhere if need be.

User Info Menu

Oh and I do agree that the tone of late around here has been a bit off turning. It seems like almost every thread turns into a pissing contest.

User Info Menu

I hope you continue it here Jack. No pressure though. Do what you need to do

User Info Menu

Yea... hang around Jack, Jazz Guitar Forum needs Guitarist like yourself. You have great material and knowledge and even better... You can Play. ( no knocks intended to anyone else... )

User Info Menu

Jack,

I have both of your books and really appreciate the lessons here.

I would advocate that the lessons continue here. The thread should be exempt from critical comments, and to do that it likely means that there should be no commentary.

Maybe I have a short fuse but I wouldn't put up with any grief if I were providing a free and valuable service like Jack is. I'd fold.

Jack deserves our respect, especially for giving us his valuable time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Jack,

I have both of your books and really appreciate the lessons here.

I would advocate that the lessons continue here. The thread should be exempt from critical comments, and to do that it likely means that there should be no commentary.

Maybe I have a short fuse but I wouldn't put up with any grief if I were providing a free and valuable service like Jack is. I'd fold.

Jack deserves our respect, especially for giving us his valuable time.
    OK . . . so this, (the highlighted text in Mark's post) for me has got to qualify as one of the most comical posts . . . ever! Those of you who don't have the honor and privilege of knowing Dr. Mark Goetting as a personal friend the way I do . . . will not be able to enjoy the humor of Mark, (Marty Grass) suggesting he might have a short fuse. Mark has got to be one of the most tolerant, laid back, cool headed, respectful and genuine human beings I've ever met. Hey, I mean . . just look at his avatar! Isn't that a symbol for the Holy Ghost?? lolol

Nice try Mark . . but, I ain't buying it. If you do aspire to a decidedly high level of short "fuse-ed-ness" I'll be happy to help you with understanding how to do that. I've perfected that short coming over the years. But, act quickly . . I do feel myself starting to mellow.

But, we're all hoping JZ sticks around.

User Info Menu

Also, this exercise in parallel 5ths is kind like the motif Andy Summers of the Police uses in Message in a Bottle.
    It's also used in the Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians "What I Am", although their riff is nowhere near as tricky as this lesson.

User Info Menu

They were (are?) one really good band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    They were (are?) one really good band.
    Yes, they were. I don't think (not sure) they're together anymore. The guitar player definitely had chops beyond a lot of typical pop players.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the Letterman band, and it's amazing that all those guys, assisting in this clip, are still there today (Will, Sid, Anton & of course, Paul).