Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 121
    bump for a 1a version of the exercise added to thread #1

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    bump for a 1a version of the exercise added to thread #1
    Thanks, I'm enjoying these exercises.

my new webcam arrives tomorrow so hopefully i'll have video examples soon!

Wait 'til you hear the variations on Ex1a!!!

User Info Menu

my new webcam arrives tomorrow so hopefully i'll have video examples soon!

Wait 'til you hear the variations on Ex1a!!!
    Jack, you're killin' us man. I can't stand the suspense. I haven't even moved on to 1a yet and I'm dying to learn the variations you keep mentioning! This is really cool. Thanks for doing this.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of cutting the skin webbing between my fingers to make the stretches easier.

User Info Menu

Hi jack

exercise 1a - I'm hybrid picking with pick and middle only throughout. Any comment?

also just a great alternate picking exercise especially with swing 8ths

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    Hi jack

exercise 1a - I'm hybrid picking with pick and middle only throughout. Any comment?

also just a great alternate picking exercise especially with swing 8ths
    i sometimes play lines like that alternating with Pick and Middle but in this exercise I would recommend adding the 3rd finger

Quote Originally Posted by mastodonovan
    sorry for the dimly lit room, I will keep that in mind next time.
    sounds great, can't see the right hand but i'm digging it. Try adding a bit of a swing feel too just for variation.

User Info Menu

Realy cool..thanks

got my webcam yesterday. Waiting on an LED light to arrive today. Should be good to go this w/e for vid...

User Info Menu

Lesson 1 is coming along nicely. Pretty comfortable at 120.
    Lesson 1a, not so much. It still sounds like "happy trails" at 70 and when I speed it up it sounds like "happy trails" faster, lol. I dont know, it's not grooving yet.
    Last edited by Michael Kaye; 03-06-2014 at 11:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Lesson 1b not so much. It still sounds like "happy trails" at 70 and when I speed it up it sounds like "happy trails" faster, lol. I dont know, it's not grooving yet.
    1b??

User Info Menu

Oops.... 1a

User Info Menu

>NJS . . I see that you responded to my question about 1B . . (it showed on my personal email) indicating it was just added to the original post. However, your post is not appearing here in the forum, nor can I see the 1b addition? Must be my browser?
    Last edited by Patrick2; 03-06-2014 at 11:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks MichaelK . . I do see 1a. I was worried there for a minute when I didn't see 1b.

User Info Menu

Lesson 1a, not so much. It still sounds like "happy trails" at 70 and when I speed it up it sounds like "happy trails" faster, lol. I dont know, it's not grooving yet.
    Mmmh, exc. 1 comfortable at 120 .... Cudos! I'm comfortable'ish at 90bpm, 120 is a bit out of reach for me at the moment.

1b must be the benson lick!

User Info Menu

Jack, I'd be interested to know where you are heading with this. Do you envision it mainly as a chops-builder (in which case I'll invest more time in trying to get it up to ever-faster speeds at ever wider fret-gaps - right now I'm doing it a fifth higher up the neck, where the stretches are much smaller), or are you heading toward some harmonic concepts? Or see it as both, simultaneously? (Of course, I know I could work on the chops aspect anyway, but I'd appreciate some context around how you envision this series of exercises).

Thanks.

User Info Menu

jasaco . . . I think Jack is wanting to get our chops up to this level. I'm 63 years old. Not sure there's enough time left for me to get there. lolol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1jQN94mvJY&feature=player_detailpage

all my exercises are designed to equally stretch both your imagination and your fingers. I will demonstrate some of the ideas over chords when I get my video system working. It'll be more clear then. The Logitech C920 was a dismal failure but I have something else coming saturday which should solve the issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    jasaco . . . I think Jack is wanting to get our chops up to this level. I'm 63 years old. Not sure there's enough time left for me to get there. lolol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1jQN94mvJY&feature=player_detailpage
    You can do it! At the age of 45 I injured my spine and have permanent nerve damage and 25%-40% strength loss in my right arm. After surgery, metal plate and rehab I had to re-learn to play stuff that was routine for me. I lost the ability to pick from my wrist because of the injury and consequently have to pick from the elbow but I've learned to do it and my conclusion is that with dedication it's never too late. The difference between us and them is that we persevere even when the daily progress appears to be minimal!

User Info Menu

You can do it! At the age of 45 I injured my spine and have permanent nerve damage and 25%-40% strength loss in my right arm. After surgery, metal plate and rehab I had to re-learn to play stuff that was routine for me. I lost the ability to pick from my wrist because of the injury and consequently have to pick from the elbow but I've learned to do it and my conclusion is that with dedication it's never too late. The difference between us and them is that we persevere even when the daily progress appears to be minimal!
    So then, if I'm interpreting this correctly . . all I need to do is injure my spine and get a metal plate put in me I'll be able to develope super chops??? Heck man. . that pretty easy. We've still got some snow and ice on the ground. I'll just drink a bottle of fine wine and go out for a joy ride on my Fat Boy.

In seriousness . . I'm pretty sure I could get there in a realtively shorter period of time than I joked about. The challenge for me would be to do that exercise picking every note. I noticed quite a bit of economy picking as you ascended and descended through the exercise. I've developed much more of a Pass or a Wes style whereby I utilize hammer-ons and pull offs more so than picking every note. That happened pretty much as a result of lack of discipline and focus on my part. But, now I kinda prefer it. Gives my lines much more of a horn like vibe. I couldn't imagin doing a head like Billies Bounce or Donna Lee picking every note. But, for improve . . I'm now forcing myself to focus a bit more on utilizing the slurs less and the alternate picking more. The thing is . . when I play, I hardly ever, if ever at all think about my picking. The alternate and economy and sweeps just seem to . . . happen . . subconsciously . . as do the hammer-ons and pull offs. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

for a strong swing feel you'll want to minimize economy picking . It's just too difficult to maintain accurate time and swing. I use a lot of economy picking when I want to go from points A to B and i'm just trying to get a certain set of note in there with little regard to the time (i.e. sheets of sound) but for generalized pocket playing, I'm definitely in the alternate and/or slur camp. But practice your slurs with a metronome and make them accurate. I'll demo those in another vid.

User Info Menu

That's an impressive story. Very inspiring Jack.

Thanks Alain,

I was actually going to quit playing but my son, Jeremy had just started learning to play jazz so I decided to write the sheets of sound book as a method book for him and i had to learn to play all that stuff again to show him.

Unfortunately, he decided to become an attorney, lol...