The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29
    Thanks AlsoRan - that was quite a compliment. I plan to do more on this topic and have a few videos on the subject so far.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I listened to the CD in the car on the way home to and from and it has unlocked my ears. I just keep generating licks, so far mainly modal ones you would play on a 2 chord tune like Impressions.

I am even learning to hum and scat the music, something I had trouble with before and this is translating to the guitar.

I have a whole new way of practicing now, with a little recorder and I play my licks over and over and modify them a little. This is really internalizing things better than just playing licks sitting in a chair without some chord reference.

Like I said, you have changed my life - at least my Jazz Guitar life.

I am not sure that everyone likes this type of melodic playing. I have noticed many forum members like a lot of dissonance thrown in, but this Fishman book/CD is my cup of tea.

I even noticed how well whole tone licks blend with Latin-tinged Jazz, something I did not realize.

I could go on and on, but I will stop here.

That's so awesome. Yeah with modal tunes you can superimpose progressions like a ii V i and then use those licks. I love melodic playing and licks as well. Here's another tip: you can often superimpose ideas from one chord type to another. For example for Cmaj7 you can often play a minor7 lick by finding a related chord eg. Am7 Em7 or you can play min7 licks over dominant chords (find the ii chord and grab the appropriate lick). Plus there are many melodic cells within the lick (little 4 note groups). I did a video where go in different directions using different parts of licks. Lots of fun!

User Info Menu

I agree, thanks for turning us onto this book Will. really digging it!