The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Great news folks,
    For those of you who have tortured yourselves with the Charlie Parker Omnibook here comes a whole new world of pain. Hal Leonard proudly announces The John Coltrane Omnibook. Oh well... I didn't have much planned for the next 20 years anyway..
    Best Wishes
    Puby. http://www.halleonard.com/search/sea...trane+omnibook

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good news, I think.... so, when do we start debating which tunes and or versions should have made the list?

User Info Menu

Let's hope they figured out what key signatures are in this book compared to the Parker one

Jens

User Info Menu

Sounds like yet another book to sink my money into. :-)

User Info Menu

hopefully it's more accurate than the bird one...

User Info Menu

Jack, how inaccurate is the Bird book? I've been thinking about getting it.

User Info Menu

I think the Bird was is pretty accurate.

User Info Menu

it had a lot of minor mistakes but still worth getting.

User Info Menu

I don't know any transcription book that isn't bound to have SOME perceived mistakes. And notating improvisation is a crap shoot sometimes. You need to simplify rather than add every single dynamic, ghost note, false fingering or breathing notes, etc.. I think the Omnibook is great for getting Bird to every instrument in a concise clear manner.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jack & Henry for the replies.

User Info Menu

If you click on the 'Closer Look' link you can see a couple of sample pages:

http://www.halleonard.com/product/vi...k&subsiteid=1&

User Info Menu

OMG, writing the first chord in giant steps as a Cb ?!? WTF?!?

User Info Menu

so, no comment on giant steps in Cb?!? Seems like an epic #fail to me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    so, no comment on giant steps in Cb?!? Seems like an epic #fail to me!
    Ironically that almost starts to make sense if you hear the song in the key of Eb. Not sure if I'd really say that I hear Giant Steps as being in one of the keys, but still....

Jens

User Info Menu

doesn't make sense since every chart i've ever read in 35 years has started off with a B chord. Doesn't matter what the key sig is since the tune moves in major 3rds.

User Info Menu

I agree Cb, kind of odd.

"mistake" no. 1?

User Info Menu

Probably that key center mafia again. They gave them a tonality they couldn't refuse.

Jens

User Info Menu

I don't understand why that seems like an epic fail.

User Info Menu

I was able to play the tune, I'd agree with Henry. Since I'm not, I'll keep quiet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I don't understand why that seems like an epic fail.
    I think he was being funny by being an alarmist, the real book version has B as the first chord so most people are used to seeing it that way

User Info Menu

epic fail because no other C lead sheet on the tune I've ever seen in 35 years of playing it started with a Cb. Obviously, it's a transposition error with no proof reader having looked at it. I hope the accuracy of the transcriptions themselves are good but I have to admit that after having transcribed the tune with 5 sharps, it's a bit disconcerting to see it written with Cb and its associated II V's.

User Info Menu

Does someone know the transcriptions of Andrew White ?

User Info Menu

yes, I took some lessons with andrew white. By far the best coltrane transcriber and historian. Unfortunately, he does not have a web site but you can call him and order transcriptions. They'll all be in Bb though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Great news folks,
    For those of you who have tortured yourselves with the Charlie Parker Omnibook here comes a whole new world of pain. Hal Leonard proudly announces The John Coltrane Omnibook. Oh well... I didn't have much planned for the next 20 years anyway..
    Best Wishes
    Puby. http://www.halleonard.com/search/sea...trane+omnibook
    Haha - what you didn't write your own? What kind of jazz student are you anyway :-P