The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I was just checking out Black Narcissus and its chock full of maj7b5 chords. Now is this just a sort of jazz unnecessary extension situation or is this something I should know how to use. I'm pretty sure it only says "b5" because there's a b5 in the melody. If this is the case then I could just improvise over it like a regular maj7 chord. So anyway... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't oversimplifying things. And - for curiosity's sake - how would I improvise over a maj7b5 chord if the necessity arose?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You would need to use the lydian mode, think Ionian with a raised 4th. A couple of tricks you can use are the minor pentatonic a half step down, so for Cmaj7#11 you can use B minor pentatonic. Or you can use two major triads a tone apart. So for Cmaj7#11 you can use C and D triads.

MW

User Info Menu

Alright cool. That's sort of what I was wondering. Its kind of like the difference between 7#11 chords and 7b5 chords. How about that one? Is it cool to use Lydian Dominant over the 7b5? I figure if your playing with a guitar player it won't matter because he won't have enough fingers to play every note in the chord. But what about a piano player? Would Lydian Dominant work over 7b5 or Mixolydian (b6) over a 7#5?

User Info Menu

sit down at a piano, here's the difference...

7b5 is R, 3, b5 ,b7

7#11 is R, 3, 5, b7, 9, #11

now granted you'll rarely play all of those notes in the voicing you choose...and rarely in order as well...that's just your theoretical answer.

lydian dominant (1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, b7) and mixo b6 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7)would both contain good notes for blowing over the two chords you mentioned. i might be inclined to not hang on that perfect 5th over either, esp. the G7#5, and normally, i like to see how another altered tone or so will work in there as well...whenever i see an altered dominant, i like to think of it as a suggestion and get away with whatever i can over it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ...whenever i see an altered dominant, i like to think of it as a suggestion and get away with whatever i can over it!
    Agreed. A suggestion or an excuse. I call it "going altered".

john

User Info Menu

.just flat the fifth if u dont like the sound lose it.if you use it end the phrase with a (13 flat 9). think big look at the whole chorus-- or bridge-- statement before you decide what to use.
    Last edited by jimmy; 01-05-2009 at 08:22 PM.

User Info Menu

hi,
    to get back to 'maj7b5' - i can't help thinking 'bad habits die hard' every time i see this chord symbol. maj7b5 supposes that the chord/scale contains a diminished 5th (as opposed to a perfect one) - and a perfect 4th.
    imo it should rather be referred to as maj7#11 (as matt put it). even if you omit the 5th when voicing this chord type (quite common), the lydian mode containing the raised 4th/11th and the perfect 5th obviously fits best.
    andy

User Info Menu

that's sort of what I'm wondering. I'm definitely satisfied with the Lydian mode answer... that's sort of what I was going for - but I was wondering if there is a single scale that contains 1 3 b5 7 and the nat 4.

User Info Menu

Try this one for 7b5

C D E F Gb A Bb

It's Bb harmonic major.

Or this one for maj7b5

C D E F Gb A B C

MW

User Info Menu

is that maj7b5 scale just an altered major scale or does it have an actual fancy name?

User Info Menu

nope just an altered major scale. You could call it Ionian b5.

MW

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m78w
    Or this one for maj7b5

C D E F Gb A B C

MW
    hi matt,
    ok - but i hear this one as a lydian scale with a chromatic passing tone between 3 and #11 and a skipped 6th - for me there's no b5...
    sorry
    andy

User Info Menu

sorry: i wanted to say: skipped 5th
    andy

User Info Menu

this is actually a minor 6 9 cord form,,,, mickey baker jazz guitarbook 2 to for referance.

User Info Menu

Yeah that scale isn't a great choice, it's the only maj7 I could think of that has an 11 and b5.

All the of ones I would use have the #11 and no natural 11.

MW

User Info Menu

imo this scale contains a b5 only in terms of theoretic scale construction - i'm not able to hear this as a b5 (but i don't want to get too german about it ;-)
    in fact i like this f (as a passing-tone) - and when going up i'd tend to skip the (perfect) 5th, as otherwise this would make the #11 just another chromatic passing-tone to the 5th.
    andy

User Info Menu

b f# E AND C ------A NICE CORD START ON 7TH FRET FIRST STRING--GOES GREAT WITH CMAJ7--CHUCK IN A DMAJ6 --THEN BMIN7 --THEN BFLAT MIN7-- THEN AMIN7 ARPEGGIO-- D AUG ARPEGGIO--C MAJ7 CORD THEN BACK TO THE (AMIN 6 9 )THE CORD WERE TALKING ABOUT BOY WHAT AN INTRO
    Last edited by jimmy; 01-08-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: had wrong cord lettering

User Info Menu

THE CORD IS A (AMIN-6-9) STARTING ON THE 7TH FRET IST STRING B F# E B -- USED GREAT AS AN INTRO SUCH AS --CMAJ7--AMIN-6 9--DMAJ6--BMIN7 --Bflat MIN7--AMIN7 ARPEGGIO--DAUG ARPEGGIO--CMAJ7 CORD-- AMIN6 9-- THUS THE INTRO
    Last edited by jimmy; 01-08-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: had wrong cord lettering

User Info Menu

The Major 7 b5 is one of those multi purpose chords that work well for a bunch of sounds

CMaj7b5
    F#Mi 11b5
    Ami6/9
    D13 (or Ab7 #5/b9)
    B7b9 sus 4 (common early Real book chord)

Two scales that work great on this is the Kumoi pentatonic (C,E,F#,A,B) which is really an A major pentatonic with a lowered 3rd and a Cma7 alt5 ( C,E,F#,G#,B) Which is an E major pentatonic with a lowered 6th

User Info Menu

to improvise over a maj7 cord take the fifth in the scale and play a diminished arpeggio over it but return to the maj7 right at the end