The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Posts 426 to 432 of 432

User Info Menu

I get it. I was talking about shape 6 with A on 6th fret as root, it has a F#, so it's a Dorian sound. huummm.
    I think that I need to rethink my studies. I don't want to think in modes now, just the chord shape and go... hahahaha

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Hello there friends. I would like to share a study that I started today with Herb book,
    That was interesting. As I study more and more, I'm starting to think a little more in chord shapes. It's still scalar, but I now am finally starting to think of the chord I'm playing and the scale that works with it, instead of trying to find scales that work over the entire song/section.

Shape 8 is interesting as I like to use that for minor chords more and more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    That was interesting. As I study more and more, I'm starting to think a little more in chord shapes. It's still scalar, but I now am finally starting to think of the chord I'm playing and the scale that works with it, instead of trying to find scales that work over the entire song/section.

Shape 8 is interesting as I like to use that for minor chords more and more.
    Yeah, for me it's much more easier to have a chord to visualize than only the scale. Of course that with time it doesn't matter anymore because your hand will play what you're thinking, but to start to study it's a great tool.

User Info Menu

Hi I just picked up a copy of Herb’s Swing Blues book and stumbled across this thread. Looking forward to learning with you all.

David

User Info Menu

I know this thread was started 8 years ago, but for those of you that did go through Ellis' Swing Blues or any of his other 2 books, did you actually get anything out of it? Did it help you play better over a jazz blues, Rhythm Changes or "All the Things You Are" changes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    I know this thread was started 8 years ago, but for those of you that did go through Ellis' Swing Blues or any of his other 2 books, did you actually get anything out of it? Did it help you play better over a jazz blues, Rhythm Changes or "All the Things You Are" changes?
    Yes, I got a lot out of it. I use a lot of things I learned from Herb on a daily basis.
    Mind you, Herb is one of my favorite guitar players, so the things he does are things I tend to like a lot. His stuff is the stuff I wanted to learn.

User Info Menu

Hi to you all !
    I managed to grab a copy of the "Blues Shapes for Guitar" CD but I had no chance in try ing to get the book.
    Anyone here would have a copy he would be ready to sell ?
    Thanks,
    Eric
    Herb Ellis: Shape System-41zcnhwiu1l-_sx362_bo1-204-203-200_-jpg