Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 451 to 458 of 458

User Info Menu

Hey, guys, anyone here have the DVD called "Swing Jazz Soloing and Comping"?

I have the DVD but have misplaced the booklet. I'd hate to have to buy the DVD again just to get the booklet.

Also, the description of the DVD says the disc has "printable PDF reference" material on it, but when I put the disc in my laptop to play and click on that 'feature' there's nothing there. Weird.

Can anyone help me out here?

Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for the booklet. It was with the DVD when I bought it. I know that. I've seen it since, but danged if I know where it is now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello there friends. I would like to share a study that I started today with Herb book, if this is not the place just let me know that I'll erase it.

My playing is almost only chord shapes oriented. I improvise using the chord tones and add a tension here and there.

I tried a lot of times to learn scale shapes, but always get lost with all those shapes, so I was revisiting a great book from Herb Ellis, All The Shapes You Are (this is the third from the series) and I get some insights to visualize scales inside chords shapes that are common to me.

I split it on 3 shapes each (major, minor and dominant) to cover almost the entire neck and I'm having a lot of fun studying scales now. hahaha

There is no shape 8 on Herb Ellis book, I did it because I wanted 3 for each type of chord and do not get attached to the name of the shapes, I think about where the chord is on the neck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Hello there friends. I would like to share a study that I started today with Herb book, if this is not the place just let me know that I'll erase it. .

Thanks, Cleber! I've been playing some of Herb's material this week. (I play it for awhile, go on to something else, then come back again.) I like that you added that third minor shape---that's a useful shape that is played often.

On a side note, I've ditched the Crossover Pick (like a thumbpick) for now and am back to a Jazz III. I may record "Bay Blues" again to see how it compares with the recent take with the CP.

User Info Menu

I was studying the minor shapes today and playing it with A as root it gets an F#, so he is thinking the Am as the II of G and not as natural minor?

User Info Menu

I was studying the minor shapes today and playing it with A as root it gets an F#, so he is thinking the Am as the II of G and not as natural minor?
    Hhm. Let me first get clear about which minor shape (6,7, or 8) and where you are placing the root.

I think of all the shapes in relation to scale fingerings learned from Jimmy Bruno. The same as CAGED but he HATES that term and instead names the patterns by the scale degree they start on. (And by scale degree, he means the lowest note in the position.) For him, the fingerings (let's assume the key of C) are 5 (which starts on the G at the 3rd fret, mixolydian, if you think that way) then 6 (which starts on the A at the fifth fret), then 7 (which starts on the B at the seventh fret---this is the normal Ionian / Major fingering starting on the 7th), then 2 (starting on D at the 10th fret) and finally 3 (starting on E at the 12th fret). So there are five fingerings but they are not named one through five, they are named 2, 3, 5, 6, 7. (They always go in that order, or if you prefer, 7-2-3-5-6, but the first available one--avoiding open strings--changes depending on the key you are in. In G, you would start on fingering 7. In Db, you would start on fingering 3. In F you would start on fingering 2...)

In your chart, for minor chords, I think of shape 6 as using the Dorian shape---the ii chord in E (F# minor).
    I think of shape 7 as being the Aeolian fingering (or Jimmy's fingering 6). If this chord is Bm, the lowest note in the position is F#. This would be natural minor sound rather than a Dorian sound.
    I think of shape 8 as the Ionian fingering starting on the 7th. This is Jimmy's fingering 7. But that chord is Eb minor. It's also F#6 (or Gb6)

Is that confusing enough? ;o)

User Info Menu

I get it. I was talking about shape 6 with A on 6th fret as root, it has a F#, so it's a Dorian sound. huummm.
    I think that I need to rethink my studies. I don't want to think in modes now, just the chord shape and go... hahahaha

User Info Menu

Hello there friends. I would like to share a study that I started today with Herb book,
    That was interesting. As I study more and more, I'm starting to think a little more in chord shapes. It's still scalar, but I now am finally starting to think of the chord I'm playing and the scale that works with it, instead of trying to find scales that work over the entire song/section.

Shape 8 is interesting as I like to use that for minor chords more and more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    That was interesting. As I study more and more, I'm starting to think a little more in chord shapes. It's still scalar, but I now am finally starting to think of the chord I'm playing and the scale that works with it, instead of trying to find scales that work over the entire song/section.

Shape 8 is interesting as I like to use that for minor chords more and more.
    Yeah, for me it's much more easier to have a chord to visualize than only the scale. Of course that with time it doesn't matter anymore because your hand will play what you're thinking, but to start to study it's a great tool.