The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Barry has a bunch of really excellent video lessons over at Welcome! | Barry Greene. I downloaded a lesson on There Is No greater Love, and just a zillion ideas. He has lessons at various levels and explains things as well as he plays. Likely people already know about his site, but I thought I`d give it a bump. He also has 3 minute lessons on Utoob, and I think it was a link to one of those from this list that got me hipped.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, very impressive player and teacher as well. He is really into the chord/scale theory and applies it very well. Maybe just a bit nervous when he speaks !

"His" simple idea of knowing how to play all the chords of a song in a single position and know the associated scales was a mind-opener to me (well maybe a big reminder !). Of course you have to divide the neck into 5 positions and repeat the process for each position.

User Info Menu

Ref.Barry Greene . He has his own site now at barrygreene .com plus a lot on YouTube He has a very laid back style but not only is a great teacher but he can play what he teaches. He is very patient and courteous with any problems be it an explanation to a lesson-downloading or general queries. Above all he is prompt in his replies. At times I find his programme advanced and have to go through things several times before the penny drops. That's just me

User Info Menu

FYI.

I've been a member of Barry Greene's site for three months now. Volumes of information in just one lesson and there are about 117 of them (maybe more).

In the last lesson I watched I have four pages of notes...all of which are applicable right now.

YouTube "Barry Greene Trio" and see for yourself. Many instructors are just that--instructors. Barry is a player and it makes a huge difference.

I'm a graduate of GIT, class of 87/88, studied with Diorio, Greene, Sprague, Henderson, Gambale, Eshete, Sid Jacobs, et.al, so I know a little about bogus instructors and the real deal.

Barry is the real deal.

$25 bucks a month? Yep...

User Info Menu

Just have to add my praises.
    If you want to know how to play jazz guitar and need someone to demystify and collate all the chunks of information floating around in your head and in all the instruction books collecting dust on your shelf then Barry Greene is your man.

Great player and a very likeable fellow.

User Info Menu

thanks maxpicks. Unfortunately his website appears to be down.

Has anyone done Greene and Bruno. How would you compare them?

Cheers

User Info Menu

I had bought a couple of the Barry Greene lessons and watched a number of his free 3-minute lessons and liked them. Barry had a sale this week (I think a day or so left) and got a subscription to his videos and pdf's. I am really enjoying his lessons, there is so much info in each one. Barry sits in his music room plays and gives you a brain dump on the topic, always more than the subject. I like how relaxed he is like he's sitting one on one with you, makes a mistake point it out, get off-topic for second and pull himself back, rubs his nose (he has allergies), reminds me of sitting in open counseling with Joe Diorio at GIT. A lot of his teaching is via tunes. so not just here's a concept and example so you're learning in a musical way.

Right now it's like $95 for six months access to his material I think that is really inexpensive for the information to be gleaned. I want to point out his pdf's are pretty bare bones a lot of the good stuff you're going to need to get from the video watching, taking notes, and transcribing. As you'll discover hearing Barry talk a lot of what he knows came from tons and tons of transcribing the Jazz greats.

>>> from his email

20% off a 6 Month Video lesson Subscription. Copy and Paste the discount code sdbwr8f3h Currently 112 lessons!

Buy two video lesson downloads and get a third one free. Copy and paste the promo code PW3NGT0 at checkout.

<<<<<
    Last edited by docbop; 11-26-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: update

User Info Menu

website is now ok

User Info Menu

He also has a book that you can buy from iTunes. I just bought it last week, so still just getting to know it, but I must admit that I'm impressed with how it is layed out with text, video, audio and tab. So Happy to have made the purchase.

User Info Menu

$95 a month for six months is his special. I've been paying the $25 a month (month to month) option. Site is up.

User Info Menu

Thanks maxpix, Mr Greene is now helping me on my journey.

User Info Menu

He really is a gifted player and seems like a great guy. Bert Ligon posted a transcription of one of Barry's YouTube clips, 'linear turnaround secrets' or something like that, which is an eighth-note run through the rhythm changes without a pause. I put it on my music stand and will start on it as soon as I get down the Sonny Stitt solo from "On The Sunny Side of the Street."

Hi Guys,

Here is a 50% promotional code to my monthly subscription lessons. I appreciate all of the comments and suggestion you've made, have a safe and happy Holiday Season.

Promo code "jazzguitarbe" Good through December 5th.

Thanks,

Barry

User Info Menu

Tried Bruno, not for me Barry stuff is great and he offers a 3 day trial for 5 bucks. Money well spent , I'm hooked.

User Info Menu

Have used Barry Greene for about a year now. Excellent teacher. However, he is not for beginners, and leans more to the proficient intermediate/advanced.
    Make sure you know all your diatonic chords in at least four keys and chord inversions. This will serve you in good stead.
    His delivery is quick and precise and like Ted Greene conveys his message succinctly.
    A great player and technician The lesson video's are first class and very reasonably price. Recommend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmagic
    Tried Bruno, not for me Barry stuff is great and he offers a 3 day trial for 5 bucks. Money well spent , I'm hooked.
    Three day trial for five bucks? Wow, hadn't heard of that. Have to check it out.

User Info Menu

Spent the last few lunchtimes listening and taking notes from his 3 Blues videos. So much great stuff just on the first 5 bars.

User Info Menu

Excellent teacher and player!

yes it's an awesome site!!!

Ken

User Info Menu

Barry inspires me, daily!

User Info Menu

I have just subscribed to Barry's inspiring lessons. I can see myself staying for many months.
    I love how he's using tunes to explain the theory in context.
    I think the price for a monthly subscription is very reasonable indeed.
    Wonderful player and teacher
    Last edited by gratay; 07-03-2017 at 01:24 AM.

More videos and specific topics..PDF's have a lot more info, the the PDF for How Insensitive, great lines at machine gun speed lol

User Info Menu

Perfect :-)

User Info Menu

Has anyone noticed that the man himself has just posted here in #13? You may address him personally

I think the like button is disabled

User Info Menu

Barry doesn't have previews on YouTube for these, but he recently released a "Barry's Basics" lesson, and a "Stepping Stones" group of lessons that are super helpful.

Covers a whole bunch of chord voicings (drop 2 & 3 and more), ergonomic fingerings for the most often used chord scales, practice tips, ear training tips, some good bebop vocabulary and patterns to help practice your scales. Basically, if you're anywhere between a beginner or intermediate player, there's weeks (if not months) or stuff to practice. I consider myself intermediate, but these have still been really useful and given me a lot to work on. Something most people on this forum should definitely check out.