The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 190 of 190

User Info Menu

That guitar.....!

Is it your fingers giving that nice bell-like, popping tone or is it the guitar?

Regardless, another nice Vid.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Thanks guys! Happy to see that there is still interest in the book. Love to see your videos too!
    I do feel that the work on the book has paid off to some extent. It is still not anywhere near spontaneous, but when a new tune comes up it takes less time finding chord tones and connecting them. I hope a few years down the road it becomes so much of second nature that I don't have to scratch my head and count on my fingers all the time.

I can only speculate AlsoRan. I don't think it is my fingers as I don't have great technique and other guitar/amp combinations don't have that tone when I play them. I really do think that it is largely inherent in that magic guitar. Also, the tube amp is a part of the equation as it sounds different with a solid state amp (also good of course, but les 'lifely'). The excellent reverb pedal (mad professor silver spring) does some too. Finally - it was relatively loud in the room (my neighbour hates me ...) and I could feel the tubes pushing some air and the top of the guitar vibrating close to feeding back - the carved top indeed is much more susceptible to do that. I also found out by trial and error that having the amp relatively loud and rolling back the volume on the guitar tends to give nice jazz tones.

Happy practicing everybody!
    cheers
    Frank

User Info Menu

I am currently in the lick writing process.

What do you think of this one?

arpeggio substituion on the IInd chord, altered scale then resolving to the 3rd of the I chord.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    I am currently in the lick writing process.

What do you think of this one?

arpeggio substituion on the IInd chord, altered scale then resolving to the 3rd of the I chord.

Sounds good, I can hear the altered sound. Congrats on getting this far in the book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Sounds good, I can hear the altered sound. Congrats on getting this far in the book.

Thanks

I find lick writing in situation #5 to be very hard!

User Info Menu

In this phase, did you spend a lot of time on the connecting game as well, or did you devote all the time to writing licks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I wish I continued doing the connecting game every day as a warm up, I'm now not as fluent as I was. I'm going to start using it as a warm up.

And another warm up I think is good, have your licks written out and use some ofthem as part of your warm up.

Both are much better than practicing scales.

User Info Menu

I wish I continued doing the connecting game every day as a warm up, I'm now not as fluent as I was. I'm going to start using it as a warm up.

And another warm up I think is good, have your licks written out and use some ofthem as part of your warm up.

Both are much better than practicing scales.
    I’ve been doing like 1.5 hour for situations 1-6 in the two recommended patterns. I think I will cut it down to like one minute for each situation, as a warm up every day. I talked to the author the other day, and he suggested spending as much as possible on lick writing.

User Info Menu

This whole lick writing makes me want to kill myself....So angry.

I wrote some licks, sent them to the author, who is super helpful and always answer emails. He recommended me to learn the MM arpeggios, cause my licks weren't really doing it. So I have learned the maj7#5, and I try to write licks, but they just sound so awful all of them...

Sounds like someone who picked up the guitar for the first time..:

User Info Menu

Gm7 C7alt Fmaj7.. is that the progression?

I think the lines okay, I think if you improved your phrasing it would sound much better.

User Info Menu

Gm7 C7alt Fmaj7.. is that the progression?

I think the lines okay, I think if you improved your phrasing it would sound much better.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes that’s correct. IV over II.

How exactly would you go by improving the phrasing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I just did a quick recording of your lick. Phrasing comes together over time and becomes part of your playing personality. Not saying mine is great, it's an evolving thing.

Box

Edit: Just listened back, I added an F note at the end of your phrase. It's not necessary but I couldn't help myself. And you can ignore the fills I put in over the Fmaj7, those are not the point.
    Last edited by fep; 01-24-2019 at 09:27 AM.

I just did a quick recording of your lick. Phrasing comes together over time and becomes part of your playing personality. Not saying mine is great, it's an evolving thing.

Box

Edit: Just listened back, I added an F note at the end of your phrase. It's not necessary but I couldn't help myself. And you can ignore the fills I put in over the Bbmaj7, those are not the point.
    Great. This, this!

User Info Menu

By the way, it says in the book, and the author was very strict about this when I talked to him, that all licks should be written with eight notes throughout the bars. He says that you will probably modify them when you play them in actual situations, but the lick should always have simple rhythms. So for two bars there should be 16 notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    By the way, it says in the book, and the author was very strict about this when I talked to him, that all licks should be written with eight notes throughout the bars. He says that you will probably modify them when you play them in actual situations, but the lick should always have simple rhythms. So for two bars there should be 16 notes.
    Writing just eight notes was good for helping me hear/keep track of the bar line and the beat. I did that mostly but sometimes not.