The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 190
    Way to go frank, nice set of licks, and well played

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Same here - nice flowing licks Frank! Very smooth and nicely played! I am really happy that the group is regaining activity and I am determined to work through the book until the end.

I noticed one thing that made me curious - you resolve a coupled of times onto a D which is the 9th of C-7 and not a chord tone at this moment. Alternatively to G. It all sounds good to me! When I have been fiddling with the minor licks the most natural resolution to my ears is the root of the I chord (e.g. C). The V also works well (e.g. the G). But I just did not manage to ever resolve onto the III (e.g. Eb) or the VII (e.g. Bb) and have it sounding good. That is the polar opposite of the major 2-5-1 where the natural resolution to my ears (e.g. those that create most "peace") are the III and the VII of the I chord. Is there an explanation for that? Or is it even a common thing to resolve major licks onto III and VII and minor licks onto I or V? Or is it more my lack of an educated jazz ear/feel that makes me feel this way?

I jave practiced my minor licks all morning long but it didn't reach the point of recording (Steve set the bar too high :-) So likely I'll post over x-mas break.
    ... actually compliments from my wife too - she heard me listening to your blue bossa this morning and commented that it sounded really good!).

User Info Menu

Hi Frank and Steve, thanks for listening and for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    I noticed one thing that made me curious - you resolve a coupled of times onto a D which is the 9th of C-7 and not a chord tone at this moment. Alternatively to G. It all sounds good to me! When I have been fiddling with the minor licks the most natural resolution to my ears is the root of the I chord (e.g. C). The V also works well (e.g. the G). But I just did not manage to ever resolve onto the III (e.g. Eb) or the VII (e.g. Bb) and have it sounding good. That is the polar opposite of the major 2-5-1 where the natural resolution to my ears (e.g. those that create most "peace") are the III and the VII of the I chord. Is there an explanation for that? Or is it even a common thing to resolve major licks onto III and VII and minor licks onto I or V? Or is it more my lack of an educated jazz ear/feel that makes me feel this way?
    That is an interesting observation and I hadn't thought of it.

I do like the sound of the D note as that first note for the Cm7 chord. That just suits my ear.

Not resolving to the 3rd and the 7th on the minor chord, that is thought provoking.

I'm now thinking about my approach of writing these licks. I'm doing it with no backing track. I wonder how it would sound if I write while using a backing track and consciously trying to end on the the 3rd or 7th of the Cm chord. I'll experiment with that.

I have a thought for some of my Sit. 4 licks. I'm thinking of looking at some of the 4 note "cells" of my sit 3. licks and trying to incorporate them into the Sit. 4 licks. This goes back to our discussion of words vs. sentences vs. paragraphs. I think that may aid in making these sounds more a part of my playing.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

I was thinking about our discussion of using small 4 note cells as "words" to write our sentences with. I'm not sure how this follows but, that lead to me taking one lick and then using that same idea for various situations.

It all started with a lick that just happened to write itself in 3 (which makes me wonder, shouldn't we be also writing licks in 3?). From that lick I modified it to fit the various situations. This should make sense if you just play thru this notation.

An audio-video example (I think this would sound real cool at a much faster tempo):

Dear Frank,

Merry christmas!

Thanks for posting this. It is really nice and a really good idea to take functional four notes patterns and integrate them into different licks! I guess it is a similar thinking as superimposing different triads onto a given chord. Overall one has to memorize less and just get better and better in combining smaller pieces into larger pieces of music.I will study it a bit more closely when i am back from my holidays.
    I agree of course that it is a good idea to also do Waltzes (actually I like Waltzes quite a bit). I feel mostly constrained by only playing eigth notes as this is not my natural instinct. But I see the objective of the author and will stay loyal to the book. Next for me will be to record and post the sit 3 licks and then make an attempt at blue bossa following in Steve's footsteps.

I hope you all have nice and enjoyable holidays!
    All the best,
    Frank

Hi Fep,

I like the idea of the 3/4 for the licks. Nice sound too.

I am writing some 251 licks for tune up, hoping to give them

a bit of a bebop/diminished feel but bebop is a bit new to me at the

moment. See what comes out!!

Happy Holidays Fep/Frank/Dana/ and all

Steve

User Info Menu

Steve - that's a great Blue Bossa vid. Beatiful tone. I like the echo. What other effects have you got going on there ?

I ordered the book last night and am eager to get started. I'd appreciate it if someone could PM me the first few apreggios which feature in the book so that I can get started before the book arrives.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Steve - that's a great Blue Bossa vid. Beatiful tone. I like the echo. What other effects have you got going on there ?

I ordered the book last night and am eager to get started. I'd appreciate it if someone could PM me the first few apreggios which feature in the book so that I can get started before the book arrives.

Thanks in advance.
    Dear Liarspoker,

I once prepared some worksheets that should be plenty of material to start with. It is here:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/impro...tml#post238666

Enjoy practicing! It is a great book.
    All the best,
    Frank

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome Frank & Frank ( nice name for a duo ;o)

I don't think that I will catch up to you guys, in fact with 3 kids it's near impossible, but I'm sure that I will enjoy the ride....and if I have any questions I know where I can come.

Thanks for the worksheets FrankLearns. I'll just do half an hour on them now as the kids are in bed.

Marcel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I was thinking about our discussion of using small 4 note cells as "words" to write our sentences with. I'm not sure how this follows but, that lead to me taking one lick and then using that same idea for various situations.

It all started with a lick that just happened to write itself in 3 (which makes me wonder, shouldn't we be also writing licks in 3?). From that lick I modified it to fit the various situations. This should make sense if you just play thru this notation.

<snip>

An audio-video example (I think this would sound real cool at a much faster tempo):

<snip>
    Very nicely done, thanks for sharing with us!

I'm still focusing on the original system outlined by Elliott, but I suspect there's a lot of value in expanding the concepts to other meters, rhythmic patterns, etc. Even having licks which could be inserted for shorter phrases rather than whole bars would be useful. I wonder though - this phase of writing licks is meant to be a stepping stone to full on improvisation, so could investing a lot of time in a rigorous, systematic approach into it be losing sight of the destination?

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker

Thanks in advance.
    Hi L.P.

Welcome aboard, thanks for listening. As for the sound, straight into a Mac

via an Apogee 1 then

into Logic, clean spacious echo effect, bit of reverb and echo, then a bit of

E.Q. to take the top end of my travel guitar.

Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzReggie
    I wonder though - this phase of writing licks is meant to be a stepping stone to full on improvisation, so could investing a lot of time in a rigorous, systematic approach into it be losing sight of the destination?
    Yes, I think the whole book is a stepping stone to full on improvisation.

But I believe improvisation is about 'vocabulary'. It's all a bit of guess work for me. Given that, I was thinking being able to take a lick or a couple licks and morph it to work in various situations would help with the transition from playing licks to 'using/modifying' licks on the fly for improvisations.

Sticking to the book is probably a safe bet. Whenever I venture out of the lines, it's an experiment. But I think of these experiments as extra work, I still plan on also doing all the book exercises.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzReggie
    I wonder though - this phase of writing licks is meant to be a stepping stone to full on improvisation, so could investing a lot of time in a rigorous, systematic approach into it be losing sight of the destination?
    What Fep said, and ...

In order to improvise I'd say you need to know:
    - What to play: Arpeggios, scales, etc related to chords and chord progressions
    - Have your finger muscles memorizing this so that you can play what think
    - Learning to make music out of this (how to play, when to play)
    - Use it in improvisation

The book nicely covers one way to go about doing the first 3 steps, and the last step is down to magic at the stage. If you can't do the first 3 steps (according to this book or any other good books), I'd say it is impossible to improvise and make the magic on stage.

Developing our own licks is a part of the process of finding your own style and learning what you find pleasant in different situation. I don't play the licks that I've written down in improvisations, but i definitely are inspired by them. As I also am inspired by the licks I liked and transcribed by Wes M, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, .... The melting pot of everything I've put together as things I like is what I hope will be my style of guitar playing.

My 2c

Dear friends,

here is a quick take (some rough spots) on a few situation 3 (long minor 2-5-1) licks that I wrote over the last coupled of weeks. The goal was to have things pretty much all over the fretboard so that when it finally comes to "improvising" there is a place to start whereever I am on the neck (I somehow forgot to play number 13 which is among the nicer ones IMHO but then did not have time to redo it).

I hope you all had an enjoyable christmas break and a good start into the new year! This study group is fun and i'd like to finish working through the book. The next step will be a take on blue bossa. Wanted to do this before the end of the year but now it hasn't happened. ... a new years resolution :-)

all the best,
    Frank

Last edited by Frank67; 01-02-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Yes, I think the whole book is a stepping stone to full on improvisation.

But I believe improvisation is about 'vocabulary'. It's all a bit of guess work for me. Given that, I was thinking being able to take a lick or a couple licks and morph it to work in various situations would help with the transition from playing licks to 'using/modifying' licks on the fly for improvisations.

Sticking to the book is probably a safe bet. Whenever I venture out of the lines, it's an experiment. But I think of these experiments as extra work, I still plan on also doing all the book exercises.
    very well said Frank! This is pretty much the hope I have too. Getting these things down to the point where it happens on the fly and there is a mixture of pre-composed, modified licks and free improvisation. Without a bit of pre-manufacturing it is just not possible for me to draw on the more advanced harmonic material (e.g. altered and/or locrian #2) that we learn as things fly by too quickly.

But first there is a lot of work left for me to learn how to use the premanufactured licks properly without sounding too awkward. Steve did such a nice job with that on his blue bossa recording.

User Info Menu

Happy New Year Everyone!

Wow, looks like some changes went on in the forum. Anyway, here are some licks I wrote using Situations 1,2,3 & 4 with patterns 1 & 2. The attached pdf includes notation and tab.

Looking forward to continued progress in the forthcoming year!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dana; 01-04-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Hi All,

Were the hell am I!!! all my vids have disappeared!

Happy new year all, Frank, nice set of licks again, how many guitars!!!

Dana, also some good things happening there

Great stuff

The thread seems to be gaining a bit of momentum, all to the shed

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevebellinger
    Were the hell am I!!! all my vids have disappeared!
    Hi Steve, I am sitting here and grumbling over that too. You can fix it if you edit your posts and copy the partial YouTube address, then click the video icon on the edit window, paste the partial address and complete it to the full web address of the video using the example text given in the opening video insert box. Really awkward - but if we all do it we'll be functional again pretty quickly!

Happy new year all, Frank, nice set of licks again, how many guitars!!!
    Thanks Steve! .... I have way more guitars than talent for sure .... a weakness of mine, hopefully forgivable :-)

The thread seems to be gaining a bit of momentum, all to the shed
    Makes me happy to see the regaining of momentum too. My Blue Bossa take is in the making too. I feel much more at ease with that than with Tune Up which really didn't resonate with me at all (Will look for some other standards with major 2-5-1s). I'll be very interested to see what you make out of Tune Up!

Enjoy practicing everybody!
    Cheers,
    Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    Hi Steve, I am sitting here and grumbling over that too. You can fix it if you edit your posts and copy the partial YouTube address, then click the video icon on the edit window, paste the partial address and complete it to the full web address of the video using the example text given in the opening video insert box. Really awkward - but if we all do it we'll be functional again pretty quickly!
    Enjoy practicing everybody!
    Cheers,
    Frank
    Hi Guys, I'm thinking I'm going to wait a few days before working on getting the old videos to embed. I'm hoping that Dirk might fix the problem.

User Info Menu

All those licks sound good.

What are you thinking on measure 15? It sounds good on the video, but I can't figure out where the notes came from (what scale or arpeggio if any).

Your notation looks great, what software?

Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Thanks fep/Frank.

That's a mistake. That's the C altered scale. Apparently I was still thinking about II, V, I's in F major instead of D minor. I'll have to go back and fix that tonight. I'm always amazed at the things I miss.

I use Sibelius for the notation. I've had it awhile and really like it.

Putting them together and posting them is quite a bit of work. I was thinking about it the other night. Not only do we have our instruments to work on, but we have to learn to be recording engineers/producers/video editors as well. So much to learn.
    Last edited by Dana; 01-04-2013 at 04:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi everybody.

It´s great to see your progress! I wish you all the best for your further progress in 2013.

To those who already wrote licks (Steve, FrankL. and Frank E.P.):
    Can I ask a question:
    Did you learn your licks in all 5 shapes or just one or two?

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    H.

Hi Helgo,

the pros apparently always tell us to learn all the licks in all twelve keys and in all five positions. That would take me a looooong time and much more than I can realistically allocate to guitar practice - I hope it somehow happens along the way (which might well be dillusional). I have been trying to have something like 2 or 3 licks in each of the five positions available. I was hoping that this results in "less panic" as there should always be a lick in the vicinity of where I am on the fretboard. IMHO this is already quite a bit to memorize. It still is a lot of work for me to play these things in the right key at the right time, but I can recognize at least a tiny bit of progress - more than I had before with any other method. Will post some "blue bossa" hopefully soon (but that one is admittedly also not very complicated).

Keep up the good practice and happy 2013,
    Frank

User Info Menu

Hej Frank.

Thanks very much for the response.

I am sitting here practicing and wondering about where I want to go musically and what goals I want to aim for in 2013... your response helps me putting things in perspective!

Until then, thanks again and all the best for you in 2013, too!

Cheers,
    Helgo