Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 190
    Hi Frank,

Well done, thats a lot of licks happening. I better get working

Steve

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Dear all,

I continued the work from last week and finally had a little time to record a video. This is situation 2 now (short 2-5-1 in major). I set myself the goal to have two licks in each of the five positions. Following last weeks discussion there are two versions for each lick - the first is totally vanilla and the second contains color tones, mainly drawn from the altered scale (sorry for the bad video quality and the clipping).

There are some slight variations two what is written in the PDF below - but I am sure that they are easy to figure out - to be honest - these straight eigth notes start to drive me slightly crazy. I confess to feeling an urge to be more rhythmic. I am not sure that the recorded licks are things that I would normally play. I nevertheless decided to stay loyal to the book and continue these exercises in the way that they are recommended in the book. But at some point I will want to change this.

The next things on the list are situations 3 and 4, then disguising and then move on to play trough actual changes (provided I can remember all of these licks by then :-)).

Have a great sunday everybody!
    Last edited by Frank67; 01-02-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Hi Frank,

Hello from a hot and sticky Saigon

Well done again, and timing a lot better.

Bought some new strings at last, so will get them on asap, my little

travel guitar just hates humidity. Hope to get a vid posted before I leave

Saigon on the 4th. Keep up the great work.

Steve

thanks for the encouragement Steve!

I have finally recovered from a very nasty flu that I had for three weeks might have influenced the last several videos a bit .... but timing issues have always been with me. Still hoping to get past that one day ...

Good luck in hot and sticky Saigon (... it is pretty cold and rainy in Germany). I am looking forward to your next set of licks!

All the best and enjoy practicing!
    Have safe travels too!
    Frank

Dear all,

I really wasn't so happy with the last recordings and decided today to move on and insert some licks into some progression that modulates a bit. I came up with a 16 bar sequence that contained four tonal centers, three situations 1 and two situations 3 ... one step better perhaps than to noodle on the same 2-5-1 all the time which started to get really old on me.

In the video there are three passes through the 16 bar sequence and various of the licks that were written down are inserted at the appropriate places. Not that I find them too exciting - it is an attempted to stay loyal to the book and just follow the instructions.

Last edited by Frank67; 01-02-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Dear all,

here is an attempt at chapter 15 - disguising licks.

I spent my day playing with the kids and then I felt like taking the exercise from chapter 14, spice up the chord progression a bit without destroying the general structure (there also is a four bar intro, the chords of which were generated by Band in a Box - they probably make much more sense than the ones I have inserted ...) and practice disguising the licks.

Not surprisingly, the result sounded more like a kids song than jazz :-( ... after a few miserable attempts I thought that "The awkward turtle" would be an appropriate working name (... make a wild guess why :-)) - and after having decided that, the "disguise" parts were a bit inspired by it - so imagine a turtle running around cluelessly and looking awkward while being watched by all those accomplished jazzers ....

It nevertheless was fun and I guess I caught a glimpse of where it is heading. It is just such a long way from ocurring spontaneously and it took quite a while to have things inserted and have licks at least kind of connected. Anyways, see what you think (.... my own honest assessment is that my time and swing (e.g. lack thereof) sucks; it is also over-ornamented ... lots of work to do)

... in the unlikely event that anyone is interested in more detail, I'll be happy to write down which lick was used when and perhaps also figure out some of the fills (although I doubt I could manage to do a good job in the latter).
    Last edited by Frank67; 01-02-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Hi All,

Made to Goa, even got a bit of wifi in my apartment, so will be able to stay in touch. few days relaxing, then it's back to the woodshed!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevebellinger
    Hi All,

Made to Goa, even got a bit of wifi in my apartment, so will be able to stay in touch. few days relaxing, then it's back to the woodshed!

Steve
    Hi Steve,

great to know that you made it to INdia ok and even have internet access! It got a bit lonely here after you were gone :-) I'm still on track though and will next try to come up with some minor licks .... don't think I could do it as nicely as you did but it'll be good practice.

Take care,
    Frank

PS: I listened to a few more of your YouTube videos and I think that you have a really really nice feeling for music. It is a joy to listen!

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

I've been busy. I plan to get back to the book and these threads soon.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Frank,

Nice to hear from you! I hope everything is well!

I'll travel the coming week but i'll take the book with me and keep on practicing.
    I also finally bought myself a half decent webcam. So hopefully the video quality will be better in the future.

Hi All,

A couple of Maj. 251 licks Sit.2 in a bossa style. Will post a couple of Sit 4

licks, then try

the suggested song!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Just listened to your licks while being on the road. That sounds really good! You have such a nice feeling for the music!

I've been working on situation 3 licks but got a bit sidetracked recently by rock band activities. Hopefully i can post some next week and then continue practicing inserting and disguising licks.

Great to know that the group is still alive!

All the best to India,
    Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for listening and the comments. Looking forward to your licks.

stay safe on the road! India nice and sunny.

Steve

User Info Menu

What kind of guitar is that, Steve?

Hi,

The guitar is a Traveller ultra light Electric, U.S.A. company (made in China!)

into a Macbook via a apogee usb sound card. Great little set up for traveling.

Although a bit disappointed with the Apogee, great sound but breakout cable

seems to be a bit of an achilles heel, had 2 so far and they seem to need a

wiggle.

Steve

Dear all,

apologies - still haven't found the time for more videos, but keep practicing. I hope to revive the thread soon.

Keep up the good work and take care,
    Frank

Hi all

Here's my attempt at putting my minor 251 licks into blue Bossa

Can't seem to get the video to link correctly, will sort it tomorrow

steve
    Last edited by stevebellinger; 12-17-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: video not showing

Hi Steve,

it sounds GREAT! Really smooth - what I found particularly impressive how apparently seamlessly your licks fitted into the groove of the song. And the disguising part also worked really well. It never sounded like pre-learned licks to me. I guess in the later choruses it was freely improvised? In any case, it sounded great to me and it was a pleasure to listen to you and watch the video!

I've been working in slow motion on my long 2-5-1 minor licks and hopefully should post them before christmas at least. Life's just too busy at the moment. But it'll take a lot more work before it will flow even half as fluent as you have just demonstrated.

Keep up the great work!
    All the best,
    Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for listening, and comments, and i know your get it just as smooth.

Don,t work to hard!

I seem to be struggling to get the youtube like to load correctly.

Will try again tomorrow, may be an India thing?

Steve

I seem to be struggling to get the youtube like to load correctly.
    For me it worked after I pasted the link directly into the browser.

Enjoy india! (Europe is cold, grey and ugly these days ... no bossa feeling :-))

User Info Menu

Wow, Steve. You sound great. And like Frank said, that playing doesn't sound like your playing licks at all. That is really inspiring.

Re: youtube, I use the link in the browser window and it works, this one

[ur l=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAJ92KIo_YA&feature=youtu.be]Blue Bossa. - YouTube[/url]

User Info Menu

Sounds great, thanks for sharing.

Hi Fep/Dana,

Thanks for listening, and the kind comments.

Seems youtube takes a while for the link to show up correctly!

It can't of been me!!!! Thanks Fep for putting up the Vid correctly

This happened before when frank helped me out, 2 vids!!!

Will start work on the second tune recommended by Mr Elliot

Tune Up I believe. Not a tune i know, I'll have to have a good listen

to franks take on the tune, not sure it sits nice on my ears yet!

May have to write some new licks for the tune.

Keep up the practice, and lets push this great thread on.

Steve

Will start work on the second tune recommended by Mr Elliot
    Tune Up I believe. Not a tune i know, I'll have to have a good listen
    to franks take on the tune, not sure it sits nice on my ears yet!
    May have to write some new licks for the tune.
    Dear Steve,

probably the Wes Montgomery version of Tune Up is a good listen - I personally don't care for the horns in the recording but well ....

I'm sure you'll do much better than my admittedly sad attempt in no time :-) (will redo more seriously when we're done with the book).

I have completed my minor 2-5-1 licks and hope to find some time for recording them before leaving for Texas on thursday.

Keep up the great work!
    Cheers,
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank67; 01-02-2013 at 02:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Cheers