The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    Just as a heads up to fep: I won't be on the forums much for the next month and a half. I'm continuing to practice Situations 1, 2, 3, and 4 in Patterns I/II (and III/IV for minor), as well as the altered scale stuff. I'll check back in from time to time but since I'm busy with kids this summer, I'm settling for just a "keep my head above water" mode. :-)
    Same here, crew. I have a family vacation the second week in July, then I'm off to San Diego for a conference. When I return, I should be in the final throes of closing on a new house. I'm afraid moving and renovations are going to keep me quite busy. The good news is that the house will have a room designated as a the "the woodshed" - I'll finally have a quiet space to practice.

I'll still be working on sits 1-4 and the maj-nin patterns as time permits. I'll also be checking in for my weekly be-dazzling by fep's and Frank's progress!

Brian

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onetruevibe
    then I'm off to San Diego for a conference. When I return, I should be in the final throes of closing on a new house.
    Hey I live in San Diego, maybe we could meet up if you have time. PM me if you're up for it.

Also, some of the local jazz talent:

PeterSprague.com: The Eye & The Ear

Peter has various configurations that he plays with, I've been trying to see his string consortium.

Also Bob Magnusson:

Bob Magnusson Gigs

Also Mike Wofford:

Just a taste, there's many more.

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

Enjoy your family vacation! Mine are coming up too in july
    but presently i am in Barcelona and await the
    Start of the the european soccer championship
    Semifinal germany against italy.

Have done my worksheet homework and will
    try to post some more videos soon.

See all of you online :-)
    Cheers
    Frank

User Info Menu

Hey Fep! Thanks for the tips - I was really looking forward to checking out the San Diego music scene but didn't really know where to start. It's great to know someone in the area!

I'll PM you with the details - it would be real cool to meet up!

Brian

User Info Menu

I've just started looking at these chapters, and try to do the connecting game over a ii-V-I. Pretty bad so far, but I guess I'll improve. Video coming up if I can make a decent one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    Dear friends,

today I finally had a little time to toy around with some video recordings. Here are two videos on minor scale practicing.

Enjoy your practice time!
    Frank, is there some chord progression or vamp I could have playing in the background to keep me motivated while doing this? Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

When you guys talk about the altered scale are you referring to the Jazz melodic scale?

edh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    When you guys talk about the altered scale are you referring to the Jazz melodic scale?

edh
    I hated to see you having to hang waiting on an answer so here is mine. Just to make sure I am not out in left field I refer to my handy dandy Jazz Guitar book guitar method. On page 43, it shows the 7th mode of the Melodic Minor scale. Other names given to this mode is Super Locrian, and as you asked, the Altered Scale.

Melodic Minor 1-2-b3-4-5-6 -7 degrees
    For "A" Melodic Minor that would be A-B-C- D-E-F#-G# and back to A
    ------------------
    The Altered Scale is built on the 7th of A Melodic Minor. The 7th degree is G# for which you have G#- A - B - C - D - E - F# and back to G#
    Here are the intervals:..1 - b2- b3- b4 -b5 - b6- b7

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Dear friends,

today I finally had a little time to toy around with some video recordings.
    Also, a friend of mine commented that your guitar had nice tone. Could you briefly tell me your set up for recording. Direct into computer? Mic'ed amplifier?

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread. I have been enjoying your's and fep's videos.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Alsoran. I agree the tones put out by the guitars that fep and FrankLearns are very nice.

I can't seem to get those nice tones from my es-175. It may be due to the amp I'm using(I'm considering changing my saddle from a ToM to a rosewood saddle to get a more woody tone). It's a 1981 Acoustic 110. Small amp but that's all I needed at the time. Maybe I should consider upgrading to a Hendrickson or Polytone.

I always wanted a Polytone.

User Info Menu

Hi edh and AlsoRan,

Thanks for the nice comments!

Yes, the description of the melodic minor scale fits exactly. Elliott comments it is simply a major scale with a flattened third and that crutch works for me. Not sure which vamp would work for practicing the scales best. The way we are about to use the MM scale it should be a B7 vamp when you practice the C melodic minor scale. Actually that is a good idea. Should try that.

As for the tone - i am happy that you both like it! The guitar is a 2009 ES175 (really, nothing wrong with those Gibsons IMHO, except they are too expensive but it sounds really nice. Got this one used for a good price) with TI Bebop 12 roundwound strings (the strings were a big factor in making the tone nicer in my perception). I use a fairly heavy Wegen Gypsy pick that certainly does not float everbodies boat but I like it.

I have tried different things in the videos that i posted which ranged from micing a Henricksen 112ER into a SM57 into a M-Audio interface into GaragEband or alternatively using the line out of the Henricksen or alternatively use a Fender Twin modelling of a Mustang floor into the M-audio (at night). If you go to YouTube the videos contain information what was done how (i'll be interested to know what sounded best to you). When I travel I typically use the Garageband "Cool jazz combo" preset with a bit of reverb which sounds good to my ears.

Hope to have some more time for practice soon! All the best and enjoy practicing!
    Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    I always wanted a Polytone.
    Me too! I recently got a beaten down old Polytone Minibrute from ebay for relatively small money (they are generally much more expensive in Europe). I really like it. The Henricksen is somewhat similar but doesn't colour the tone as strongly as the Polytone.

Me personally I prefer the metal bridge. I feel the tone is more alive but it really is a matter of personal taste and I equally well understand the opposite preference. The strings really were a big factor and after i changed to the Bebops the "yes that's it" feeling came.

User Info Menu

The way we are about to use the MM scale it should be a B7 vamp when you practice the C melodic minor scale. Actually that is a good idea. Should try that.
    Thanks for the quick response.

I think B7 would be good. It illustrates that altered scale over Dominant 7 sound. Of course, there may be a problem in that it does not resolve but I will give it a shot.

I found out that Don Mock uses an Amin Chord vamp for the melodic minor practice in his book. Of course, this does not give us that complex Jazz sound.

As for as your tone, to my ears all your videos sounded good. I may have to try those TI strings and see if they affect my own tone.

Take Care. Back to the cold, cruel world

User Info Menu

All of these chords can be harmonized from the Ab melodic minor scale. I'm using this for a 'key center soloing approach' using Ab melodic minor. Or, just running the Ab melodic scale and/or scale melodic patterns.

90bpm

||: Eb / / / | Eb9 / / / | Abm6 / Bbm7 / | Eb / / / |

| Eb / / / | Eb9 / / / | Abm6 / Bbm7 / | Eb / / / |

| Eb/B / / / | G7alt / / / | G7alt / / / | Eb / / / |

| Eb/B / / / | G7alt / / / | G7alt / / / | Eb / / / :||
    Last edited by fep; 07-03-2012 at 11:20 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm using this to practice the G altered scale (7th mode of Ab melodic minor) and resolving to Cm7.

120bpm sw8s

||: G7alt / / / | G7alt / / / | Cm7 / / / | Cm7 / / / :||

User Info Menu

You have given me an idea.

I will take the five positions of the Melodic Minor in one key, and choose a different chord for each position, preferably the diatonic chord based on the note the fingering position starts on.

Thanks for the idea. It will be a bit time consuming but should pay dividends in the long run.

User Info Menu

Dear friends,

work is crazy busy at the moment. I still get around to practice some but not as much as I'd like to. I did my homework assignment and created some worksheets summarizing what has been learned so far. These are the major/minor and melodic minor fingerings for all five positions as well as the 2-5-1- arpeggios in major and minor together with their diatonic substitutions and the altered scale for the minor progressions.

I hope that there are not too many mistakes. If anyone finds this useful I am happy to send the powerpoint file that was used to create the charts.

As soon as I can I will more seriously practice the connecting game with the altered scale as suggested in the book following feps lead. I also feel that we need at least two bars of the dominant seven chord to cover enough of the scale.

Enjoy practicing!
    Frank

User Info Menu

Nice Worksheets Frank
    What kind of software did you use to make the scale diagrams ?
    cheers
    Miguel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MGranada
    Nice Worksheets Frank
    What kind of software did you use to make the scale diagrams ?
    cheers
    Miguel
    Thank you very much Miguel,

I simply used powerpoint. It is a bit laborious but with a lot of copy and paste it did not take that long. I am happy to provide the file. Maybe PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

User Info Menu

Cool stuff Frank. I'll check them out and let you know if I find any suggestions for changes.
    Dear friends,

work is crazy busy at the moment. I still get around to practice some but not as much as I'd like to. I did my homework assignment and created some worksheets summarizing what has been learned so far. These are the major/minor and melodic minor fingerings for all five positions as well as the 2-5-1- arpeggios in major and minor together with their diatonic substitutions and the altered scale for the minor progressions.

I hope that there are not too many mistakes. If anyone finds this useful I am happy to send the powerpoint file that was used to create the charts.

As soon as I can I will more seriously practice the connecting game with the altered scale as suggested in the book following feps lead. I also feel that we need at least two bars of the dominant seven chord to cover enough of the scale.

Enjoy practicing!
    Frank

User Info Menu

+1 Great stuff Frank L. Thanks for sharing that.

Hi all,
    great job, many thanks
    Steve

User Info Menu

Hi team,

I'm way behind, but enjoying my progress so far. A question for you: I like the simplicity of thinking of the alt scale as 'the melodic minor one up from the root' - however, when it comes to fingering the scale, what are you all doing? Are you, for example on the 6th string G alt, playing G# melodic minor position fingering (but stretching down to the G with the first finger)? Or are you using a different/ dedicated fingering? Thanks!

User Info Menu

... after forum changes only 1 video per post allowed. Hence reposting:

User Info Menu

Sounds good Frank!