The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 154 of 154

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EFlat
    I thought about for a day and decided, since this is not a sprint, to stick with the chapter 2 exercise at least another week. I want to get this right before I move on. I am along going to try to play straight 8 instead of trying to swing them. Besides the useful feedback (thanks guys) I want to say another problem is I still have to think too much instead of having those arpeggios internalized. And, since I am not playing over an accompaniment, I sometimes forget what arpeggio I am playing. One more thing, when I am descending on the V7 arpeggio in the key of F my finger keeps wanting to reach for the 6th on the 4th string instead of the flatted 7th.
    When I am satisfied, hopefully this weekend, I will redo the video.
    I used to use Band-in-a-Box to create custom backing tracks for these exercises, the way that fep did. It really helps get the notes under your fingers, and fights boredom.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The last few days I have gone back to the original major/minor arpeggio fingering which I had made up out of the Leavitt scales and trying the connecting game and it's actually fairly difficult to play the notes in order and then jump to the next arpeggio note at the start of the next bar.

To put this into context i actually started with the arpeggios in the book but realised that I would make faster progress and learn the arpeggios faster if I made up the arpeggios from Leavitt scales (which I sort of already new by then (I know them much better now)).

I did the connecting game but went from playing straight arpeggios to improvising over the changes while adding scale tones etc over time. So now I have found that going back to playing the original connecting game I'm not as good at it as just improvising with the arpeggios. Does that make sense?

My tip would be that every couple of weeks take a few days or even a week off. Stop practising the connecting game and practise other stuff. Then after a few days of not playing the connecting game (or practising the arpeggios) your subsconscious will have been at work and when you start the connecting game again you'll be surprised at how well you know the arpeggios (I learned this while practising for my classical guitar exam). Less is sometimes more.

User Info Menu

Just a quick note so as not to highjack this thread. I have temporarily put this book on hold for myself. I have been frustrated with my guitar progress as a whole lately so I have bitten the bullet and have begun formally taking guitar lessons. My teacher has put a lot on my plate to begin and I want to concentrate on doing the needed work on the plan I have been given. Once I get used to this, new to me method of studying guitar, I can come back to this book, perhaps with new eyes. Thanks everyone for the input you have given me. I’m still lurking on this forum and will still post when appropriate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EFlat
    Just a quick note so as not to highjack this thread. I have temporarily put this book on hold for myself. I have been frustrated with my guitar progress as a whole lately so I have bitten the bullet and have begun formally taking guitar lessons. My teacher has put a lot on my plate to begin and I want to concentrate on doing the needed work on the plan I have been given. Once I get used to this, new to me method of studying guitar, I can come back to this book, perhaps with new eyes. Thanks everyone for the input you have given me. I’m still lurking on this forum and will still post when appropriate.
    I hope that you're not going to feel overwhelmed with your teacher since he has given you a lot at the start.

My opinion is save yourself money and keep working with the book but just approach it differently.

You don't have to practise the arpeggios every day. Work on them then take a break, let your subconscious do some work, then come back to them.

I've recently started following the Commit to a tune a week thread which I am finding great for my arpeggios. It's a lot of fun working with the arpeggios on a song per week as the changes are different every week.

You'll definitely see improvement if you play along to that thread especially if you learn the songs melody in your arpeggio positions.

Stick with it. Introduction to Jazz Guitar Soloing Chapters 2 and 3Introduction to Jazz Guitar Soloing Chapters 2 and 3Introduction to Jazz Guitar Soloing Chapters 2 and 3

Sent from my MYA-L11 using Tapatalk