The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Anybody used this book? I recently picked it up, and am wondering if anyone has any experience that they could share.

Thx!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jzzr
    Yikes......I got the book because I heard some of his playing, and found it really cool....especially the counterpoint stuff. LOL. I'd be curious to know what you don't like.
    He also has a DVD out on the same subject. The reviewers on Amazon say that it is pretty advanced and that the guitarist is very good.

You just have to consider the source, I guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    Haven't looked at the book, but I have VERY serious reservations about books that are written by people who can't play very well....so approach w/ caution.
    YOW -- Sid is ba-a-a-a-a-ad, imho. What music are you referring to, Rich?

I'm more leery of guys who can burn, but have shown no talent for teaching, e.g., John Abercrombie . This book got an immediate one-star review from some idiot, and that ruined its Amazon sales, but it's a very, very, very good book. Sid has done two of the Mel Bay "Private Lessons" folio things, along with Mimi Fox and Bruce Saunders, et al, and these are superb. He also authored Mel Bay's "Complete Book of Jazz Guitar Lines, Licks and Phrases," or something close to that, and I love that book. He single-handedly developed the jazz curriculum at GIT and was the youngest instructor ever at University of Nevada, Las Vegas - age 18. Awesome teacher.

The book in question is very good, imo. Ignore the one-star idiot and grab a copy, if you're at that place in your development. I'd call it introductory stuff for serious players. No spoon-feeding, but if you're smart and dedicated, it's well worth the investment.

kj
    Last edited by Kojo27; 09-07-2011 at 04:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Haven't looked at the book, but I have VERY serious reservations about books that are written by people who can't play very well....so approach w/ caution.
    duuude---i don't know WHAT you've been listening to, but sid is a MONSTER play, amazingly prolific, musical, and highly respected among his peers.

haven't looked at the book in question, so can't speak to that, but i have this book, and it is very good:

Amazon.com: Mel Bay's Complete Book Jazz Guitar: Lines & Phrases (9780786665785): Sid Jacobs: Books

also have his cd as leader, excellent:

Amazon.com: Its Not Goodnight: Sid Jacobs: Music

other opinions:

Sid Jacobs - Composer, Instructor, Recording Artist

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    duuude---i don't know WHAT you've been listening to, but sid is a MONSTER play, amazingly prolific, musical, and highly respected among his peers.

haven't looked at the book in question, so can't speak to that, but i have this book, and it is very good:

Amazon.com: Mel Bay's Complete Book Jazz Guitar: Lines & Phrases (9780786665785): Sid Jacobs: Books

also have his cd as leader, excellent:

Amazon.com: Its Not Goodnight: Sid Jacobs: Music

other opinions:

Sid Jacobs - Composer, Instructor, Recording Artist
    Yeah, Randall, that's what I was trying to say. The Complete Book of Jazz Guitar Lines, Phrases, etc., is killer. It has a misleading title, as it puts the "phrases" in some very illuminating contexts. Good teaching going on here.

Thx for the replies......stuck at work for MANY hours so won't be able to investigate the book just yet, but yeah .....biik looks like it could open some doors!! And I really like Sid's influences!

User Info Menu

I thought his Bill Evans for guitar was well done. Lots of nice voicings. Just Jazz Guitar printed one. (My Bells)

So I guess the question is....Who do you think are todays 'good players'?

User Info Menu

I also have Sids' Bill Evans book and it is spot on with Bill Evans concepts. It is not a book for newbies but is truly excellent for extending your Bill Evans approach. Also, IMHO, there is noting mediocre about Sids' very sensitive playing.

wiz

User Info Menu

Hi KJ,

I suppose it's possible for a mediocre player to be able to teach well and even write a book that is good, but I have seen far too many books/instructional methods by lame players that actually lead students astray...Not being able to play that well will almost always color the instruction in some way. Why would any beginner want to use instructional materials from a player who is lameass? It doesn't make sense.

Also, Abercrombie was NEVER a "burner" type player, really the opposite actually, so what you said doesn't make sense.
    Also, universities are FILLED - worldwide - with highly degreed people who can't play sh!t. It is so common, that if a cat in an academic environment can play, I am always flabbergasted!

Anyway, I haven't seen the book in question, and it might be good, so I might be way off - but not about the playing....
    You're absolutely right -- nobody with self-respect would want to know that the person who created his instruction material can't even do the thing for which he purports expertise. Many guitarists felt pissed upon learning that Mickey Baker couldn't really do the stuff in his book at the time of its writing (he got it down soon enough, of course.) I've seen this lots of times, and it's a turn-off. No disagreements here.

When you say, "...[the book] might be good, so I might be way off - but not about the playing" -- are you saying you aren't wrong about Sid Jacob's playing - or the playing of whomever might have written a book, but who can't play very well? I'd love to be able to play as well as Sid Jacobs, myself. AND: Sid definitely plays better than Mickey Baker. But who among us doesn't revere Mickey's book?
    I didn't intend to say Abercrombie could "burn" in the sense of "shred" -- I wrote "burn," then tried to think of a great player who couldn't teach, and he came to mind. Bad example, bad descriptor - my bad. I think my point still makes sense, though -- I'd rather learn from Sid Jacobs, who may or may not be as good as Abercrombie, but who can definitely teach circles around him and can play damn well, too, imo. And in Joe Diorio's opinion, and others who would know.

Maybe look at it like this: what good is "studying under" Sum Buddy Super, if he doesn't really know how he does what he does? I betcha Wes would have been a bad teacher, for example -- but I'd rather listen to him than anyone else. He could show you where to put your fingers for certain licks -- but I bet the real know-how was intuitive. Same with Django. Imagine taking violin lessons from Grappelli, or Joe Venutti. Your resume would sparkle, but what would you have taken away from it all? Inspiration? Yep, or discouragement - ha.

BTW, I have three of Sid's books and they're probably the ones I refer to most, because they're "meat and potatoes" books. The Mel Bay's Complete Book of Lines, Licks, Phrases thing is _so_ well-thought-out -- the title belies its great worth as a way of understanding jazz soloing.

Appreciate your input, Rich. : )

kj
    Last edited by Kojo27; 09-08-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Well now that that's all out of the way....LOL...if anyone has had some experience with that particular book (or his other books), it would be great to hear how you approached getting through it and how it changed the way you heard/played music.
    Last edited by Jzzr; 09-08-2011 at 01:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jzzr
    Well now that that's all out of the way....LOL...if anyone has had some experience with that particular book (or his other books), it would be great to hear how you approached getting through it and how it changed the way you heard/played music.
    I don't have his book but as I mentioned above JJG printed an excerpt from his Bill Evans book. (My Bells).

After seeing this post I checked him out on you tube, specifically the Evans tunes.

Based on these two things alone I would recommend the Evans book. Even if you don't get the tunes down 100% you're going to learn some really nice voicings

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

Sid Jacobs just contacted me re this thread, and I feel mortified by the whole thing, so I am deleting my responses.

I would like to add, that my "beef" was not really w/ Sid, but rather a more general complaint, where his name kind of got dragged in. Anyway, apologies to all, FWIW, and there is not much more I can say without sounding like I am trying to backpedal on my views, which I still hold. Once again apologies.
    Considering the fact that you talked the same shit about Sid over on The Gear Page, I can see why he'd think you had a beef with him. Nice to hear the he finally stood up for himself!

I wish that this matter would be dropped at this point. I heard the guys vids, and on the basis of his music I bought the book. I wanted to know if anyone else was using the materials and give me some insight. That is all. I truly regret my post at this point however, and I wish that someone would close this thread. I read the forum rules this morning, and I think that the posts did not follow protocol. I take partial responsibility, because I actually asked the question of what was not liked about the music. I learned my lesson here for sure.

User Info Menu

Ah, so it was you who sent him to this forum. I was wondering who it might have been!
    As i said to Sid in our message exchange, he and anybody else should find it very easy to dismiss my opinions on this or any matter. After all i am just an i ternet nobody, while Sid has a relatively high profile.... Sid seems like a very kind and decent guy too.
    Sorry, it wasn't me! You should know from my pm to you a couple weeks ago that I prefer to air my grievances directly.

It was nice to see you put in your place though lol.

User Info Menu

Not true, jzzr. My very first post included this paragraph:

The book in question is very good, imo. Ignore the one-star idiot and grab a copy, if you're at that place in your development. I'd call it introductory stuff for serious players. No spoon-feeding, but if you're smart and dedicated, it's well worth the investment.
    And later I stated that I had the 3 books by Sid, and that they are the ones I use most. "Meat and Potatoes books," I think I said. And they are. This one, Jazz Guitar Improvisation, is wonderful. Couple it with Mickey Baker (for the chord studies) and Galbraith's book on comping, and a very few other choice volumes, and you've got YEARS of study you can absolutely bank on.

This book has 99 demo tracks, which should say something, too! Lots and lots of real jazz phrases, well-demonstrated by Mr. Jacobs. Practice tips, and actual "playing" exercises to practice - I especially like these. I recommend the book, obviously. I recommend HIGHLY his Mel Bay's Complete Book of Jazz Guitar Lines & Phrases, as it is so, so, so much more than just that. It's a method book in itself.

I hear you Kojo....very true. There were also many other helpful responses. Thx much.

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

Sid Jacobs just contacted me re this thread, and I feel mortified by the whole thing, so I am deleting my responses.

I would like to add, that my "beef" was not really w/ Sid, but rather a more general complaint, where his name kind of got dragged in. Anyway, apologies to all, FWIW, and there is not much more I can say without sounding like I am trying to backpedal on my views, which I still hold. Once again apologies.
    Wow man. You've sunk to a new low (again). You're always talking shit about guys who are out there doing it. How many guys have you publicly dissed at this point who have come back and commented publicly?

First of all, Sid is a great player but apart from that, your idea that a book can't be of value to a jazz player unless the book was written by a great jazz musician is just rubbish. Slonimsky and many, many other great books are out there that have helped zillions of musicians that were written by folks who hadn't a clue about how to play jazz.

The other sillyness in all your statements is the notion that *YOU* and *YOU* alone decide by some arbitrary method which musicians can and cannot play.

RUBBISH!

User Info Menu

Oh, and Jzzr -- when you get your book and have had time to consider its worth, please do go to Amazon and tip the scales in the proper direction regarding the "star" rankings. I'm sure you'll not give the book a single star -- heck, one good lick, one new concept... that would repay me the cost of Jacob's book.

Getting a one-star review, right off the bat, and as a book's ONLY review, can (and probably did) nearly destroy a book's sales on Amazon. This book doesn't deserve that, imo. I've gotten at least a music school semester's worth of learning from it already!

kj

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27
    This book doesn't deserve that, imo. I've gotten at least a music school semester's worth of learning from it already!
    It's plain to see that the reviewer doesn't know squat. A pity for it looks like an interesting and thoughtful method. I hate when someone trashes a dude's hard work just like that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatswisdom
    It's plain to see that the reviewer doesn't know squat. A pity for it looks like an interesting and thoughtful method. I hate when someone trashes a dude's hard work just like that...
    It is a pity indeed. No matter what you do, there will always be someone who is contrary, and even combative. And you don't even have to go to the comments section of Yahoo or Youtube; heck, you can find it right here on this forum!

I had kind of hoped to escape that kind of mean-spiritedness, but you still have guys that want to attack you personally.

Those types of people remind can bring up painful memories of other ogres you may have had to grapple with in the past, and can make you want to withdraw. It's really sad when those people can impact on your livelihood.

OK. I am off my soapbox...

User Info Menu

Wow, left this place for a while cuz of pathetic persons on here, only to return to see its the same place, different sh*t-talkers. Funny how someone could type acrimonious comments, then suddenly feel "mortified" when confronted by the target of his BS. Pathetic.
    Last edited by orasnon; 09-09-2011 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orasnon
    Wow, left this place for a while cuz of pathetic persons on here, only to return to see its the same place, different sh*t-talkers. Funny how someone could type acrimonious comments, then suddenly feel "mortified" when confronted by the target of his BS. Pathetic.
    Like any other "neighborhood," you take the good with the bad. And, there are a LOT of good people here making beautiful music, and they will help you do it, too!

User Info Menu

I have the 'Lines and phrases' book, and saw the video which I think covers similar material to the book you were asking about. Both are very informative and well presented, and I definitely found them very useful. My only complaint with the book is the tabs - it's pretty obvious that they were added as an afterthought, and not by Sid Jacobs (they are contrary to the idea of finding every possible way to play a phrase which he stresses).
    I also learned his beautiful arrangement of Naima, it makes me want to explore his Evans material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Like any other "neighborhood," you take the good with the bad. And, there are a LOT of good people here making beautiful music, and they will help you do it, too!
    Yes, you're absolutely right! Sorry for the negativity.

I have learned a great deal from Jacobs' "Complete Book of Guitar LInes and Phrases." Much respect to him. And I have been helped immensely in the past by generous people on this forum. Big ups to them!

[quote=Jzzr;169001]Anybody used this book? I recently picked it up, and am wondering if anyone has any experience that they could share.

Thx! I downloaded a video of his at TRUEFIRE guitar tuition. He seemed very very passionate and experienced as both a guitarist and a teacher. The video was about Bill Evans style rootless voicings, basically 3rds and 7ths.....it took me back how powerful and useful this concept is....kind of impressionist...its changing the way I play ( slowly ). I think the book MUST be good, he wouldn't have it in print otherwise.