Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

you could play Cdim over CmMaj7.
    Jens,

as you know,the notes of Cdim chord:
    C Eb Gb A

are fragments of Lydian Minor,IV th mode of C Harmonic Minor and Lydian Minor dim (or Lydian jazz minor),the IV th mode of C Harmonic Major
    11+ b3 6 T
    6 11+ T b3
    b3 T 11+ 6
    depending of where you are on the fretboard

cheers
    HB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hyppolyte Bergamotte
    Jens,

as you know,the notes of Cdim chord:
    C Eb Gb A

are fragments of Lydian Minor,IV th mode of C Harmonic Minor and Lydian Minor dim (or Lydian jazz minor),the IV th mode of C Harmonic Major
    11+ b3 6 T
    6 11+ T b3
    b3 T 11+ 6
    depending of where you are on the fretboard

cheers
    HB
    I was talking about the diminished scale not the arpeggio, but for the rest yes you can play G harm min and G harmoni maj over a CmMaj chord (I take it you meant G not C?). There's a video of me playing on a Cm blues on YouTube where I do that.

Jens

User Info Menu

you can play G harm min and G harmonic maj over a CmMaj chord (I take it you meant G not C?).
    Yes,I meant well a C,not a G.

Playing a Cdim chord,C Eb Gb A over a Cmin chord,or a Cmin Maj7 chord, Gb(11+) and G(5) will clash, I agree.

But if you skip the 5th ,not an interesting note inside a minor chord, then you got the freedom to play Cdim:
    T b3 11+ 6,fragments of Lydian minor and Lydian minor dim.

As to play G Harmonic minor over a CmMaj7 chord,it doesn't satisfy my taste,cause you got a Bb,and not a B.

cheers
    HB

User Info Menu

Sorry I was indeed not really thinking it through. I actually do like the sound of Gm harmonic over Cm7, that is what I do in the video, in essence it is a D/Cm7 chord sound.

I prefer thinking another chord as a substitute instead of a scale. Thinking in scales never gives me any good melodies, so in my head it would become something like D/CmMaj, since that gives the notes more of a place in what you hear.

I guess I understand C lydian minor (as a C lydian with a b3) I don't really get the lydian minor dim reference, that sounds like a scale with a #11 and a b5?

Did you ever count how many common minor voicings contain the 5th?

Jens

User Info Menu

I guess I understand C lydian minor (as a C lydian with a b3) I don't really get the lydian minor dim reference, that sounds like a scale with a #11 and a b5?
    C Lydian minor,IVth mode of harmonic Minor:

T 9 b3 11+ 5 6 b7

C Lydian Jazz minor (or C diminished Lydian,weird name), IVth mode of G Harmonic Major:

T 9 b3 11+ 5 6 7

cheers
    HB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hyppolyte Bergamotte
    C Lydian minor,IVth mode of harmonic Minor:

T 9 b3 11+ 5 6 b7

C Lydian Jazz minor (or C diminished Lydian,weird name), IVth mode of G Harmonic Major:

T 9 b3 11+ 5 6 7

cheers
    HB
    Interesting so lydian minor is a minor scale with a #11 not a lydian scale with a b3, I guess that makes sense somehow.

And the lydian diminished is because it is the sum of a dim chord and a major 7th chord I guess. To me a clearer name would be mel min #4, but that's probably a matter of perspective.

Jens

User Info Menu

A side note relating to the Benson method and some wholetone use..... C minor7 is the same family as F7, EbMaj7, and A-7b5, so F whole tone (or what is being called B whole tone above) works over C minor perfectly, or F7, or Ebmaj7, or A-7b5. For a dom sound going TO C min 7 (over G7) just use G whole tone. This also means F diminished (1/2 whole) works fine over C minor and the same group of chords as well, or for a dom sound back into C-, obviously G 1/2 whole dim..