The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 57 of 57

User Info Menu

Just a BTW question

BTW,
    We talk so much about music....why not sending/sharing examples to learn from?

Ronen

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Ronan,
    I can put some examples together later this week, I'm swamped teaching/gigging on the road right now, but hopefully will get some time coming up.

The arp up is just what you said, 1357, then the scale down, so something like this might work out:

1 3 5 7 8 7 b7 6

or over a G7 chord

G B D F G F# F E

the 3-9 formula is the same thing, but only play the arpeggio from the 3rd to the 9th, so over a G7 chord play B D F A, which is a Bm7b5 arpeggio.

For a maj7 chord the 3-9 arpeggio works out to be a m7 chord, so for Cmaj7 you could play an Em7 arpeggio which is the 3-9 of that chord.

Hope that helps out, if there's any specific examples you'd like me to write out just let me know and I'll get on it.

Mw

User Info Menu

Matt,

Thanks so much for guiding!

I though that in bebop the 3-9 means 3, 5, 7b, 9b. Isn't it?

By suggesting examples I meant to sharing video/recording of ideas enabling us to hear the different...

Ronen

User Info Menu

Well that's one 3-9 that can be used over a dominant 7th chord, say C7 you can use Edim7, or E G Bb Db, which gives a C7b9 chord. But it wouldn't work very well over a major7th or minor7th chord for example. But you can play a 3-9 over those chords that will work well, it just depends on what chord you're playing over at the time.

MW

User Info Menu

Have some patience. Three months is nothing. Spend a year transcribing everything you can from Wes Montgomery, early George Benson, early Pat Martino, Charlie Christian and of course Bird and Diz. Add a dash of others to taste. Learn the theory but don't get caught up in running scales up and down the fingerboard. I did it for years and it was a waste of time. Learn the theory and scale concepts but don't practice scales over and over.

User Info Menu

Hey Jack. Haven't seen you here before, welcome.

User Info Menu

I started playing guitar in 1966 and I think I first heard the "Theory v. Just play it!" debate about 10 minutes after I started.