The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

On a flat top guitar, and particularly on a Stratocaster, I have a tendency to anchor my pinky on fast runs. This comes from having quick access to the volume knob, but it’s ultimately detrimental IMO.

On an archtop, I find it impossible to anchor… so my pick hand floats free, and I tend to pick from the elbow with my wrist relatively firm. There are subtleties there, with occasional moments that could be considered semi-circular or whatever, but elbow motion is the primary motion. While the wrist is firm, it is not locked; both the wrist and fingers remain relaxed with no significant tension. And as I practice more, this technique is gradually becoming more precise.

I know that all manner of techniques work for different people. But I also know that in general, usage of bigger muscles tends to result in more fluid and relaxed overall motion along with enhanced endurance. This holds true in virtually all athletic endeavors. It also is true in some aspects of drumming and in upright bass playing. On drums, your kick drum foot tenses up a lot less if you are playing primarily from your hip/thigh rather than from your ankle. Likewise on upright, the primary motion - for both arco and pizzicato - should originate from the shoulder.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coyote-1
    On a flat top guitar, and particularly on a Stratocaster, I have a tendency to anchor my pinky on fast runs. This comes from having quick access to the volume knob, but it’s ultimately detrimental IMO.
    Ultimately detrimental? Why? I've seen Guthrie Govan do that.

User Info Menu

Let your neck be free
    To allow your head to go forward and up
    To allow your back to lengthen and widen
    To allow your knees to move forward and away

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Let your neck be free
    To allow your head to go forward and up
    To allow your back to lengthen and widen
    To allow your knees to move forward and away
    The guitar I’m playing changes my picking technique.-img_2526-jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Ultimately detrimental? Why? I've seen Guthrie Govan do that.
    ”Stellar performer _____ does _____, therefore that thing the performer does must be awesome”.

As a counter to that idea, I present to you RA Dickey. A mediocre pitcher for years. But along the way, he developed a particular pitch. And for three seasons was nearly unhittable, even garnering a CyYoung trophy on an otherwise terrible team. But does that make the knuckleball a pitch every pitcher should develop? Most who try get clobbered, and quickly abandon it.

As for why it’s detrimental to me? In the ‘jazz’ idiom, I do a fair amount of fingerpicking. No pick in my hand. And like many, that means the nails on my right hand are a bit long. But there are moments where I desire to ‘shred’ a phrase. How do I accomplish that? Answer: I keep the pinky nail longer than the others. When I want to ‘shred’, I grab my pinky with the other fingers and use that long nail like a flatpick.

If I need to anchor the pinky in order to play fast lines, but I need the pinky nail to “be a flatpick” in order to shred on my archtop, well….. see the issue?

EDIT: here’s how I hold my right hand for this:

The guitar I’m playing changes my picking technique.-a34feb80-5618-4fae-882f-ce532ccbdec4-jpeg
    Last edited by coyote-1; 05-14-2023 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Adding info

User Info Menu

I change picks depending on what type of guitar I'm playing. I find that a bit of an issue when changing to a stiffer pick.
    Last edited by garybaldy; 05-16-2023 at 04:27 AM.

User Info Menu

I have an unusual picking technique:
    - don't flex my elbow
    - don't move forearm
    - wrist totally relaxed
    - pinky's on the guitar
    - picking by flexing thumb and forefinger
    (moves pick both vertically and laterally)
    - bending of pinky moves hand positions
    (rack & pinion - hand rack, pinion pinky)
    - no rest stroke; aucun, none, nada, zilch

That picture of John shows perfect form. Finger
    board out to left (allows straight left wrist), pick
    centered over navel (natural right arm position)

Not to nitpick, but John - while very fluid in the wrist - originates his strumming motion in his elbow.

Note that he is typically strumming, as opposed to playing single lines.

Here’s the great Freddie Green. Again plenty of fluidity in the wrist… and again, the stroke originates from the elbow:

Benson, along with plenty of other greats, anchors his pinky when fast picking.

Pat Martino anchored his forearm up by the elbow, and the hand floated freely:

Jimmy Bruno, IMO perhaps the greatest technical player of his era, floated his hand and arm freely and originated his picking from the elbow:

It’s fascinating to see so many different approaches.

User Info Menu

I just thought the picture of Lennon illustrated LItterick's comment perfectly. Sorry to derail.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I just thought the picture of Lennon illustrated LItterick's comment perfectly. Sorry to derail.
    No worries! Conversations go where they go; it’s all good.

User Info Menu

I was quoting the directions of the Alexander Technique. Lennon seems to have been a natural.