The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 109

User Info Menu

I suppose it's a sort of stand-up piano. If the bass had a more dissimilar tone to the treble it might be better but unfortunately they both share the same kind of tone. And I'm not sure what kind of music that tone fits. Maybe not jazz entirely. Plus, being what it is, it's doing everything itself.

Also, there's the different tuning which means learning nearly the usual guitar things only different, which might be psychologically demanding as they say, and there's the tapping. Not that I mind tapping, it can be quite effective.

I think it's a clever thing but it's a bit of a novelty. But someone somewhere loves it :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Most of you are probably practicing indoors or something... hello world!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Woohoo
    How many lessons have you had with your good teacher?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It’s not exactly my favourite instrument, but the guy I saw (George Baldwin) can certainly play it well.

I wonder how many hours a day he practices to play so beautifully?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Most of you are probably practicing indoors or something... hello world!
    I would do the same but it's a bit too cold now... :-)

User Info Menu

....and now the question:
    what does it mean to practice an instrument and what does it mean to practice jazz?
    It's probably not the same...

User Info Menu

It’s not exactly my favourite instrument, but the guy I saw (George Baldwin) can certainly play it well.

I tried playing a 10 string tapping stick for a few years. It's a very difficult instrument to play compared with guitar, both hands have to be simultaneously independent, where on guitar both hands have to be simultaneously insync. That is totally different to years of guitar playing.

I didn't really like the sound either, I used it with a modelling amp with multi-tap delays and a lot of processing. My tapping stick now sits in the corner, ready for Bass duties only.

Great players, I have a lot of respect for their playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    In such a place, I would make the fastest progress.
    The sound of the waves would be my "top player".
    Great energy.
    That's a nice idea though somewhat unrealistic. I lived on the beach in central Florida for a dozen years, worked on the beach for a friend's family on and off for many of those years, and played guitar on the beach often. Beach life is slow moving and beaches are full of unmotivated individuals and upper east coast losers on permanent vacation until they burn out from drugs and drinking (and lack of money) and head back to the armpit they came from so the only one to share in your excitement for guitar progress there is you. Anytime you go someplace humid and tropical everything slows down. Island time is a real thing and not very conducive to getting things done. This is why I relocated to TX. More gigs, more motivated players, more money. More dues paying opportunities. Worse weather but I can shoot deer in my backyard, do donuts in my driveway at midnight and crank a twin at 3.am with no repercussions as long as my woman ain't around.

User Info Menu

There are now four of the "Mad at..." series threads, five if you include the renamed "This thread should be totally deleted now" as an honorary "Mad at post/atonality performance"... everyone should cheer up a bit.

The official Warm up-and-Practising thread-dolphins-png

User Info Menu

This is me being cheerful

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    There are now four of the "Mad at..." series threads, five if you include the renamed "This thread should be totally deleted now" as an honorary "Mad at post/atonality performance"... everyone should cheer up a bit.

The official Warm up-and-Practising thread-dolphins-png
    Hahaha,,,
    After all, this is fun.;
    I'm going to exercise because time is running out.
    Jazz is still alive... :-)
    But fair point...I've already changed the title of thread.

User Info Menu

Being a guitarist is a special kind of hell...

The first 80% of the journey is hard work and will eat up 20% of your life.
    Trying to complete the last 20% will take up 80% of your life and kill you.

Perfectionism kills you with diminishing returns.

::

User Info Menu

After all, I love jazz and playing the guitar.

User Info Menu

Hahaha,,,
    After all, this is fun.;
    I'm going to exercise because time is running out.
    Jazz is still alive... :-)
    But fair point...I've already changed the title of thread.
    May as well spell practicing correctly while you're at it. :P

User Info Menu

Kris is correct for UK English (practise is the verb, practice is the noun). In America I believe you use practice for both.

We like to make things a bit harder for ourselves. Good for building moral fibre, stiff upper lips, etc.

User Info Menu

Regarding progress:

I work on the far southeast side of Chicago, at an elevation of 181m above sea level.

I live just a 3 miles away, west down one major street, at an elevation of 192m above sea level.

But you don't see any incline or steady rising hill on the drive home. There are several short, steeper inclines, that you'd barely notice if you weren't looking, and then much longer periods where the ground is level in between.

What does this have to do with practicing the guitar? Actually, a lot.

User Info Menu

Kris is correct for UK English (practise is the verb, practice is the noun). In America I believe you use practice for both.

We like to make things a bit harder for ourselves. Good for building moral fibre, stiff upper lips, etc.
    How is it that Graham and I get along so well...
    Maybe it's the language of jazz.

User Info Menu

Jimmy,
    I ask again- how many lessons did you have with the organ master?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Regarding progress:

I work on the far southeast side of Chicago, at an elevation of 181m above sea level.

I live just a 3 miles away, west down one major street, at an elevation of 192m above sea level.

But you don't see any incline or steady rising hill on the drive home. There are several short, steeper inclines, that you'd barely notice if you weren't looking, and then much longer periods where the ground is level in between.

What does this have to do with practicing the guitar? Actually, a lot.
    So how to understand it?
    you don't have the conditions to practise guitar?
    You play very nice.

User Info Menu

So how to understand it?
    you don't have the conditions to practise guitar?
    You play very nice.
    Well, just for me personally, my life doesn't allow for a lot of practice. So I spend the time I have right now trying to keep what I got and keep my repertoire, so I'm not forgetting or losing tunes...

But my drive home from work analogy has been my overall experience with playing, since I was 12...there's long stretches where you don't see yourself as getting any better, and then, almost without noticing, there's little jumps upward. It's not a steadily ascending line of improvement, like the climb up the first hill on a roller coaster...it's long plateaus and liitle steep jumps upwards here and there...but you can't get to the next plateau unless you keep driving on the current one...

User Info Menu

Day job + long commute + family = limited time for serious practice. Given those constraints, what has helped me the most to make progress has been playing opportunities. Jams, gigs, even stuff like the "virtual jam threads" here give me a reason to work on things learning tunes and executing them well. I have to say that even in m less constrained younger/single days the times I made the most progress were when I had regular playing opportunities. For me that has always been the spark for learning new repertoire and new ways to play it.

I've gone through periods of regular, structured practice, and even now I occasionally go back to the exercises and scales I used to regularly. But I think my chops kind of are what they are at this point in life, and it's more productive to focus on the expressive and interpretative end of things and building repertoire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    ... I made the most progress were when I had regular playing opportunities...
    What do they say? 1 hour on the bandstand is worth x in the practice room...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    What do they say? 1 hour on the bandstand is worth x in the practice room...
    Not sure of the multiplier, but there definitely is one. That, and performance identifies shortcomings that need work and tunes that need to be learned better.

User Info Menu

Jimmy,
    I ask again- how many lessons did you have with the organ master?
    I've been taking lessons with him every 2 weeks for the past year.