The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

im filing this one under “technique” because I’d be interested in discussing how playing fingerstyle influences playing with a swing feel compared to plectrum. While I don’t have the speed facility with my fingers that I do with plectrum, I’m finding free fingers (as opposed to hybrid) has a nice looseness that’s easier for me to feel time this way.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I do not offer myself as a jazz player, but I did play fingerstyle nearly exclusively for more than forty years (before learning to play orthodox swing with a pick), to the point that my right thumb is rhythmically the smartest part of my body. (I think it taught the rest of my right hand. Though my right foot keeps pretty decent time.) And it's my impression that I can get articulation and voicing effects with my fingers that I will never manage with a pick--maybe if I were a decade or two younger, I would get there. And when I attempt chord-melody, it is always fingers, not a pick.

One of my playing partners was a hybrid player who could use all three of his remaing fingers, and that was his approach to whatever genre he played--he came out of the rock-band world but had the biggest ears of anybody I've played with, so he might call anything from Pink Floyd to Miles to the Little Rascals theme to "Red River Valley."

BTW, Mark, I think your video answers your question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson
    I do not offer myself as a jazz player, but I did play fingerstyle nearly exclusively for more than forty years (before learning to play orthodox swing with a pick), to the point that my right thumb is rhythmically the smartest part of my body. (I think it taught the rest of my right hand. Though my right foot keeps pretty decent time.) And it's my impression that I can get articulation and voicing effects with my fingers that I will never manage with a pick--maybe if I were a decade or two younger, I would get there. And when I attempt chord-melody, it is always fingers, not a pick.

One of my playing partners was a hybrid player who could use all three of his remaing fingers, and that was his approach to whatever genre he played--he came out of the rock-band world but had the biggest ears of anybody I've played with, so he might call anything from Pink Floyd to Miles to the Little Rascals theme to "Red River Valley."

BTW, Mark, I think your video answers your question.
    thanks for your comments. Hybrid might be the ultimate all time universal weapon, and I really use it a lot. So much so I don’t really differentiate it from my normal plectrum technique since those fingers are really always there. I also palm the pick sometimes under my ring finger but that’s a compromise too compared to all open loose fingers. I’m enjoying it more and more with time especially since all my playing now is solo playing.

User Info Menu

I am completely unsure what I do and what I should do on this. I play with the pick. I play hybrid, pick and fingers. I also will play with fingers only. The real problem is I actually prefer the acticulate sound of the pick for single lines and am much faster. With the fingers only I simply put up with the limitations but it allows freedom with chords and string choices for voicing that hybrid does not.

In the end I cannot come to any conclusion except to keep hacking away to see what happens. I am now much cleaner and faster with my fingers for single lines that I was 20 years ago and my nails seem to be better. I like to use the flesh and nails. Really I call it the Joe Pass dilemma because Joe used all 3 and I pretty much am a Pass type player, without the talent. Joe's sound with the pick in the early years was something incredible and his fingerstyle at times the sound was incredible. Other times is was not quite as nice sounding. I think it depends on the recording situation. His sound on the original Virtuoso still is the best nothing has touched that magic yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I am completely unsure what I do and what I should do on this. I play with the pick. I play hybrid, pick and fingers. I also will play with fingers only. The real problem is I actually prefer the acticulate sound of the pick for single lines and am much faster. With the fingers only I simply put up with the limitations but it allows freedom with chords and string choices for voicing that hybrid does not.

In the end I cannot come to any conclusion except to keep hacking away to see what happens. I am now much cleaner and faster with my fingers for single lines that I was 20 years ago and my nails seem to be better. I like to use the flesh and nails. Really I call it the Joe Pass dilemma because Joe used all 3 and I pretty much am a Pass type player, without the talent. Joe's sound with the pick in the early years was something incredible and his fingerstyle at times the sound was incredible. Other times is was not quite as nice sounding. I think it depends on the recording situation. His sound on the original Virtuoso still is the best nothing has touched that magic yet.
    I’m right there with you. A little bit of everything! Sometimes I just think of it as a craft that uses multiple tools depending on each situation. It’s all good.