The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have been practicing my slur (ligado) technique on classical guitar… using the Aaron Shearer book.

As I was doing exercises I thought, “some of these could make good sequences”. Then I started to try and apply them in a more jazz way. Not working so well.

I did a lot of problem solving and came up with some ideas. However I feel like the wisdom here far transcends my limited-ness.

I would appreciate peoples insights.
    Attached Images Attached Images Slur-7cb4f9fa-b12e-4d71-8ebf-0d341e384d20-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The motivation for the book was to systematically address different slur fingering combinations. Each figure though is built with slurred notes within reach of each other. Pedal notes always add logic to a sequence. The bulk of these have a flow similar to enclosures. To me they make the most sense resolving to a chord indicated by an additional target note or notes. They also can form cool sequences by moving the patterns in various ascending or descending intervals. Harmonically speaking the starting and ending points define function. Now that you have assimilated these moves, not a bad thing to consider if they have any application outside of guitar gym class.

Thank you

I was noticing the enclosure type feel… there is an extra note, but I am not sure that is a bad thing.

I also fit them into relationships where the two and four are more emphasized.

They still seem a little chunky…

In my experience if I practice a technique but do not apply it universally, the technique tends to become a trick and not self-reinforceing.

I still use technique that I learned at the beginning of guitar, and I have forgotten a ton of “tricks”.