The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Tim Pierce talks about Ben Eller in one of his videos, recommended his channel, so I started following him.
    This is a great tip that Ben got from massive_bass_nerd.

My take (with a larger, thicker pick that I use to pick with):
    The Fix for Flailing Fingers, a tip from Uncle Ben Eller-img_0989-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I hope this works for flailing arms of pop singers as well.

User Info Menu

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is wrong with resting fingers on the pickguard? If they stay out of the way when necessary what is the issue?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is wrong with resting fingers on the pickguard? If they stay out of the way when necessary what is the issue?
    Good question.

At the moment if I'm playing something where the upstroke escapes, because of the angle of the hand I do usually rest some fingers on the pickguard.

I've also seen Guthrie Govan rest his pinky on the pickguard.

User Info Menu

I did not watch the video, but in my general understanding the topic are flailing fingers and not resting fingers.
    When I do a lot of strumming in quarter notes in uptempo songs, making a wrist helps a lot getting the right punch into my playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    I did not watch the video, but in my general understanding the topic are flailing fingers and not resting fingers.
    When I do a lot of strumming in quarter notes in uptempo songs, making a wrist helps a lot getting the right punch into my playing.
    He does kind of dis finger resting also, bit in the middle. Just been playing and I vary from all kinds of finger positions depending on what I'm doing, hook em under the treble strings at some points. Feels like a non event.

His main point is about players playing with a really tense picking hand, fingers all stretched and warped. Solution to that is not be tense! U can have ur fingers chillin' on the pick guard no worries.

User Info Menu

The Fix for Flailing Fingers, a tip from Uncle Ben Eller-fllail-jpg

This is very very cool!
    Thank you.

User Info Menu

Splayed fingers seems to work just fine for Jimmy....

User Info Menu

Are the Americans giving advice about technique again? Bless ‘em.

User Info Menu

The sad thing is how many guitarists out there that will be wasting their time worrying about this instead of enjoying playing the instrument

User Info Menu

I’ve been experimenting recently with how I hold the pick and whether to use a resting 5th finger on the guard when playing single note lines. I think I’m becoming most comfortable with gently touching the guard with it but not trying to anchor it or hold it in one place or position. It slides on the guard as I move the pick (held between thumb and index finger) from string to string, and both ring and little fingers are relaxed and slightly curled.

This helps me stay in the zone between neck pickup and fingerboard for the tone I like best, which was the reason I started to consider the issue. I found myself moving toward the bridge with my long time practice of holding the pick between thumb and first two fingers and my hand and arm off the instrument. I also find it easier to keep my picking light and more consistent with my current approach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Are the Americans giving advice about technique again? Bless ‘em.
    Yes, almost as bad as Europeans giving advice about how to swing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    Yes, almost as bad as Europeans giving advice about how to swing.
    indeed!

I jest, but it does seem European players are endlessly technical and American players are about the vibe and groove. It’s a vast generalisation of course.

And while it’s hard to find two top US jazz players who use the same technique, almost all the European Manouche players play the same way…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    American players are about the vibe and groove.
    i wish

User Info Menu

American as in American by nationality, ethnicity or what? The guy in the OP seemed to be of European ancestry.

User Info Menu

Is there a topic that has been done to death more on you tube than "rock guitar gear and techniques"?

User Info Menu

Fingers do not flail. Arms flail.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i wish
    well
    some

of them….

are?

ah forget it :-)

User Info Menu

It's not wrong.
    If it works for you, great!
    I prefer not to do that. When I do, my hand tilts in a way that makes matters worse for me. I played that way for a long time. I was comfortable with it but my picking was a mess!
    Different strokes for different folks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar
    American as in American by nationality, ethnicity or what? The guy in the OP seemed to be of European ancestry.
    Uncle Ben is from Knoxville, Tennessee.

User Info Menu

The sad thing is how many guitarists out there that will be wasting their time worrying about this instead of enjoying playing the instrument
    I'm afraid you sound like one of them.

User Info Menu

Just a few points:
    It's not a pick guard it's a finger rest.

Drawing your fingers up into a ball/first shape requires a good deal more tension than allowing fingers to naturally hang where they may.

Actively splaying said naturally hanging fingers requires even more tension than drawing them up into a ball.

Nobody cares what you you choose to do but you should at least know the differences between the choices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Uncle Ben is from Knoxville, Tennessee.
    Yeehaw!

User Info Menu

Everybody is different, so it's not for everyone. Ben is primarily a "shredder/metal" type player and speed is highly valued by them, but it's never been one of my strengths. I can see reducing wasted motion to increase efficiency helping somewhat, but I think being able to relax when playing fast is more important. It may be worth a try to see if it helps.