The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

String Muters
    – Gruv Gear | Krane

Anyone else use these types of string mutes besides myself? I have started using these sometimes on pieces when I am not using any open strings. Just curious if anyone else does.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've seen a lot of players (mostly NAMM shredders) who put a woman's hair "scrunchie" at the nut end of the neck to mute open strings. Lots cheaper than the EB version at $16.99 and just as effective.

And, coincidentally, I stumbled across this Herb Ellis video yesterday. I am pretty sure that the contraption on the headstock is a string mute, but I would welcome correction if it's not...

User Info Menu

I probably still have my violin "hotel mute"

String mute...-5d5c27_c40d850650844bfebb9cda58b2acb7a9-jpg

which was really effective, and similar mutes could exist for archtops.

I don't get the point of using anything to damp just the open strings unless you're playing bottleneck in open tuning ... the only effect on stopped notes that I can think of is that it prevents sympathetic resonance from open strings?

User Info Menu

My particular technique of fingering and picking includes a sub-technique that developed completely on its own in which all strings I do not wish to sound are automatically damped by both hands. I can "freeze" my hands at any instant while playing anything and confirm that every string I'm not playing is being damped by either the left or right hand. I don't even know the scheme of how they are doing it, but it is instantaneous, completely transparent, and effortless. I can't imagine it could be taught except by listening over time and letting it develop on its own. Even when I play an occasional solo burst of 32 notes in 2 seconds this damping is in full effect, no impact on speed or quality, just intrinsically part of my playing.

I had no idea I was doing it until I was asked while giving a lesson how I kept the open strings from sounding. I had never thought about it, spent a moment observing my own playing and noticed it for the first time. This thing is one of a whole bunch of "micro techniques" that guitarists may naturally develop. It has probably been ages since we last deliberately thought about finger placement close touching behind the fret, or the adjustments in position of thumb behind the neck, or the tilt of the pick. Our focus is typically not mechanical but tone and other qualities of the resulting sound. My experience is that what you focus on in terms of sound will naturally produce the gradual development of these various micro techniques.

User Info Menu

I don’t disagree with any of that. I have been playing for over 40 years now and only tried this mute thing a few weeks ago. One part laziness and one part curiosity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    I've seen a lot of players (mostly NAMM shredders) who put a woman's hair "scrunchie" at the nut end of the neck to mute open strings. Lots cheaper than the EB version at $16.99 and just as effective.

And, coincidentally, I stumbled across this Herb Ellis video yesterday. I am pretty sure that the contraption on the headstock is a string mute, but I would welcome correction if it's not...
    That's the Van Eps string mute, designed, built, and sold by George Van Eps, who was an excellent machinist and inventor in addition to his estimable guitar playing skills. Unfortunately, they are no longer available, AFAIK. Perhaps something similar is out there.