The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've run into this problem with my PRS SE Custom, as the volume knob is close to the bridge pickup and A) I've reverted to something like a Benson grip and B) my hand is the size of a Cornish hen. I unintentionally turn the knob at times, reducing the volume.

I asked Tommo at troygrady.com about this and he suggested putting a rubber washer under the volume knob.

Here's a short video on that subject by another player.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tape it down! - unsightly i know, but transparent tape will do the trick. It's a studio hack I learned, if you set a knob carefully and you don't want it moved...

User Info Menu

Tape on the face of the guitar, I'm scared.

I like the rubber washer idea better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Tape it down! - unsightly i know, but transparent tape will do the trick. It's a studio hack I learned, if you set a knob carefully and you don't want it moved...
    I never thought of tape. And it won't harm the guitar's finish? Regular Scotch tape?
    An advantage to tape is that you can easily remove it. Removing a washer requires removing the knob, not something you want to do while playing.

Another thing about the washer (-from what I've heard with someone who's experimented with this) is that it doesn't keep the knob from being turned; it makes it less responsive to accidental touches. (So much depends upon the size of washer one uses.)

Tape. Well, I never... Thanks, man. That's good to know.

User Info Menu

I've used some of the non-slip material, which is pretty much the same as what is sold for getting a grip on a jar lid. It's sort of a waffle pattern, comes in big or small strips. I cut it to size with scissors and put it on the shaft, then the knob, and it works well for preventing accidental turning. I keep it on my reverb pedal knob, which wants to turn easily. The knob can still turn, but it requires a little force, just enough to keep it in place unless I really want to turn it. I suppose a rubber washer would work, but I prefer to use what I have readily available, already on hand. I have a big roll of the non-slip stuff, for putting under my guitars while working on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I never thought of tape. And it won't harm the guitar's finish? Regular Scotch tape?
    An advantage to tape is that you can easily remove it. Removing a washer requires removing the knob, not something you want to do while playing.

Another thing about the washer (-from what I've heard with someone who's experimented with this) is that it doesn't keep the knob from being turned; it makes it less responsive to accidental touches. (So much depends upon the size of washer one uses.)

Tape. Well, I never... Thanks, man. That's good to know.
    Scotch tape shouldn't harm any finish I wouldn't think, just the tiniest bit will do the trick - I've even put gaffer's tape on knobs many times, some times long enough that I've needed to use a drop of citrus oil to get rid of any residual gunk, and never harmed any finish. Mind you, they have been mostly solid bodies...

User Info Menu

The adhesive on Scotch tape will eventually harden and become unsightly and difficult to remove, if left in place long enough. I've never needed to keep a knob immobile. There are knobs available that lock in place, mostly used on pedals. You lift the knob to move it, but as long as it's not lifted up it can't move. That seems a far better option, albeit more expensive.

User Info Menu

Remove it completely..

I had that issue with a Jackson Soloist Pro in my speed/thrash/metal days. So I removed the knob completely leaving just the metal split pillar that extends out of the pot
    and that thing is impossible to turn accidently even if you rub your hand or palm all over it.