The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I decided to do this.
    As it happens, Tommaso Tufarelli (aka Tommo) was assigned my submission, "Unlocking the Tremolo." (As in the first video, this means playing a single note on a single string as fast as one can, warts and all.)
    It is clear that I use a downward escape picking motion (DSX). You might think of this as the opposite of the conventional rest stroke: when I play an upstroke, the pick ends (rests) on the next lower string; when I play a downstroke, the pick angles slightly away from the guitar body and is not trapped. This makes switching strings after a downstroke faster than switching them after an upstroke.

Tommo recommended a few adjustments and they immediately helped.
    This is the gadget I used to hold my iPhone while recording.
    Troy Grady website's new feature: Technique Critique-gadget-jpg

It's not necessary to have something like this. (The Magnet Troy uses would work much better but I don't have one of those. I think I bought this from someone on Etsy.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The first three videos I submitted were handled by Tommaso Tufarelli (aka tommo). He's a professor of mathematical physics at the University of Nottingham by day and a guitar picker by night. He's fast and clean, two things I'm not (yet).

Here he's using downward escape picking (DSX), which is what I use.

My speed is okay, but the side of my thumb sometimes (too often) touches the string I'm picking. It's harder to stop doing that than I expected. Still making slight adjustments to end that.

My most recent video submission was handled by Troy Grady. His response was thoughtful and encouraging. Still gotta fix that thumb thing because I haven't yet. But I will.

[QUOTE=MarkRhodes;1227148]The first three videos I submitted were handled by Tommaso Tufarelli (aka tommo). He's a professor of mathematical physics at the University of Nottingham by day and a guitar picker by night. He's fast and clean, two things I'm not (yet).
    +++++++++++++=

This is awesome.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu