The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

May be of interest. Seems good stuff to have under your fingers

this young man is (unsurprisingly) a very impressive player, if you check his other vids too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

But, I don’t hear any soul in it.

User Info Menu

A Julliard student with a tuner on his headstock. Heavens to Betsy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    whatever next?

User Info Menu

This isn’t unlike what’s done on classical guitar. Much of it, well… it could be better.

Scales - Way too much emphasis on shifting. Very unlike how music is actually played in the real world.

Picking - um, no…

It’s late… TLDWrite

Guitar needs a Pedagogy revolution.

User Info Menu

Well I thought it might be interesting to see this kind of institution is teaching to its guitarists. Julliard has more of an emphasis on early jazz which is interesting (but not surprising given the faculty.)

User Info Menu

Downward strokes for the picking exercise, just like Charlie Christian. The guitar teacher, James Chirillo, "has worked with many Swing Era greats".

User Info Menu

ouch, all this negativity! Scales are not supposed to be how one plays out there in the real world. They are exercises in fretboard knowledge, fingering, and other aspects of knowing and playing.

Thanks for posting this.

User Info Menu

I began on classical, and the Segovia scales were essential to my idea that linear phrasing could move smoothly without any break in perception from the strength of one tonal centre to another further up the neck. It's one thing I do think position shift mastery is a good skill in the toolbox.

Early jazz and Wynton's shadow is a solid one, but there are inherent dangers in instilling prejudices about what jazz is, and that's one thing Wynton is guilty of. It's been well documented that the attitudes of that philosophy preclude a certain spirit of growth, evolution and experimentation, which has been the driving force of jazz. Prejudice is never good for evolution.
    The skillset demonstrated by this curriculum is a formidable one. I can see great utility in it. The attitude in that particular branch of the academy is another thing. I see the real possibility that it can impose the same close mindedness and technical snobbery that has long plagued the cross fertilization between western academic classical music and creative improvisational music we call jazz.
    The Julliard requirements do seem to recognize the role of outside instructors to foster fresh thinking. I wonder if someone who chose to study with someone like Sonny Sharrock, Derek Baily, Fred Frith or Joe Morris as a private instructor would be credible in their world view.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    But, I don’t hear any soul in it.

User Info Menu

Guess I won't be going to Julliard and studying with a teacher who isn't on faculty! :)

Serious amount of work there in 36 minutes. Makes my practice sessions look positively anemic.

He's a young student. He says he's not going to be able to play this stuff in a couple of months since he won't be practising it daily, presumably because he'll be working on actual music. He's got a pretty solid tool box for that.

He has to pass their proficiency test if he wants his teacher to be somebody like, who knows.... Bernstein or Okazaki for EG, and still get his degree. Looks like they don't want to make it easy. Interesting look at the inner workings.

Check back in a few years. I worked with a trombonist who did Julliard 30 years ago. Awesome player in every way, including emotion.

User Info Menu

Favorite movie ever!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Guess I won't be going to Julliard and studying with a teacher who isn't on faculty!

Serious amount of work there in 36 minutes. Makes my practice sessions look positively anemic.

He's a young student. He says he's not going to be able to play this stuff in a couple of months since he won't be practising it daily, presumably because he'll be working on actual music. He's got a pretty solid tool box for that.

He has to pass their proficiency test if he wants his teacher to be somebody like, who knows.... Bernstein or Okazaki for EG, and still get his degree. Looks like they don't want to make it easy. Interesting look at the inner workings.

Check back in a few years. I worked with a trombonist who did Julliard 30 years ago. Awesome player in every way, including emotion.
    He says he wanted to study with Kenny Washington, so not a guitarist at all.

User Info Menu

I’m sorry I thought the irony would be apparent. Of course there is no soul when practicing for a competency exam.

This kind of practice is exactly up my alley, for all the reasons the earlickers avoid them. It’s un-musical, abstract and easy to track.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    thank you much Jimmy...

A very "underground" film..seems little..if any.. has changed in the political world..and being an optimist..I doubt little will

Putney says..

User Info Menu

I am alone in being surprised and irritated by the string noise he made when playing those scales?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Guitar needs a Pedagogy revolution.
    Ab-so-F'n-lute-ly.
    Could not agree more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    May be of interest. Seems good stuff to have under your fingers

this young man is (unsurprisingly) a very impressive player, if you check his other vids too.
    Indeed, David is a very talented player, with excellent musical skills, and who are working with discipline to achieve his goals. Even 5 years ago he did the 30 solos in 30 days, what is an unbelievable achievement. Also worth listening both the old band recording serie, both the newer one.

User Info Menu

...yes there was an era without tuners... ln the advent of tuners I thought, tuners are for those who does not have ear.

Shortly I realized, who does not use tuner, probably a) does not have ear :-) to hear how terrible is the result, or b) just do not care about optimized tuning with minimal out of tune compromises of a particulary imperfect instrument in frets where he plays often (say 5 - 10).

User Info Menu

I am alone in being surprised and irritated by the string noise he made when playing those scales?
    Not alone. That got me too. Although obviously the young guy has a lot of skills. Miles beyond me at less than half my age. He could clean up that part of his technique though, imho.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChazFromCali
    Ab-so-F'n-lute-ly.
    Could not agree more.
    some days I agree. Some days I think we actually need less pedagogy. Jazz is fuelled by heutogogy and always has been. Pedagogy is a necessary evil and nothing more.

User Info Menu

some days I agree. Some days I think we actually need less pedagogy. Jazz is fuelled by heutogogy and always has been. Pedagogy is a necessary evil and nothing more.
    Yeah, I get it.
    What are you gonna do?
    I mean say for instance the best, most logical system to learn guitar ever devised by humankind was suddenly available. People being people still would be all over the map with differing methods. Sometimes I think it's Darwinian almost. Only the people who 'want it the most' will find the good stuff. And IDK, maybe that's how it should be anyway.

"heutogogy"
    I'm gonna have to look that up,

*edit:
    Oh, how funny. The meaning of it is kinda what I'm saying in my post, lol.

User Info Menu

I feel a haiku coming on...

Christian Miller post,
    Now searching heutogogy
    In dictionary.

User Info Menu

It’s a useful word because it describes the self teaching process of jazz musicians very succinctly

User Info Menu

Heutagogy