Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    […] Guitar needs a Pedagogy revolution.
    In the year 2000 …

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Are there recognized fingerings for 3 octave scales? Segovia?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Unless you have a 24 fret guitar (or 23, never seen one) then you don't have enough register to complete 3 octaves in every key going root to root.
    He is playing a 21 fret guitar, and in some cases didn't take it to the highest note on his instrument in the key being played. He just stopped and turned back where it made sense with his fingering.

For 3 octave scales, shifting is unavoidable. To practice shifting, I recommend practicing single string scales, full range of whatever key, in groups of both 3 and 2 fingers.

One strategy to craft a sort of universal fingering approach for all keys is to plot out which finger you want to start each octave with. From there, organize your shifts to make that come to pass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    in the video he plays three positions, he goes up to the seventh then moved directly to the next position and does the same.

i think of this as quite a classical way to do it. I’m unclear as to what the Segovia fingerings are so maybe they are similar?

i would not tend to use these fingerings myself, but I do find them interesting. I often to practice scales from the lowest available note on the guitar to the highest note using different pathways, but I don’t tend to jump around like that, but there’s no such thing as useless scale practice imo. Any new way of doing something can help widen one’s knowledge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    in the video he plays three positions, he goes up to the seventh then moved directly to the next position and does the same.

i think of this as quite a classical way to do it. I’m unclear as to what the Segovia fingerings are so maybe they are similar?

i would not tend to use these fingerings myself, but I do find them interesting. I often to practice scales from the lowest available note on the guitar to the highest note using different pathways, but I don’t tend to jump around like that, but there’s no such thing as useless scale practice imo. Any new way of doing something can help widen one’s knowledge.
    In the diatonic scales I see him sometimes playing two strings before shifting, but sometimes only one string (three notes) before shifting. The Segovia fingering uses position spans of four frets, fingered without "extensions and contractions".

The Segovia Scales: Foundations of Classical Guitar Technique – dancosley.com

User Info Menu

@vintagelove I somewhat agree with what you are saying (what is the point in the negativity) but I have to concur with the fellow that asked where the “soul” was. I’m a jazzer but went to study classical guitar with an amazing teacher and performer in Toronto back in the 1980s. She only agreed to teach me if I did not play the old classical chestnuts but focused on Villa Lobos, Egberto Gismonti, Leo Brouwer etc. At my audition she wanted to see my technical facility and asked me to execute a two octave harmonic minor scale. I thought it was easy as I had spent years practicing such things in front of the TV. I did it and she said I had the required technical facility but then asked “Can you play it as music or with some musicality?” That was rather crushing to hear but I realized she was spot on as she demonstrated how much music she could infuse into doing that very thing. She commented that the goal was to address every note with full intention and emotion. Very challenging to do and very tiring but also very worth it.