The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 84

User Info Menu

Been practicing 11 hours a day everyday for at least 6 weeks and have now just recently finished practicing improvising harmonic major and its modes in 12 keys all over the fretboard. Now I'm working on melodic minor with one key already finished

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I practice 23,5hr a day at 350bpm with two fingers taped together on my left hand and my right hand tied behind my back. I blast Charlie Parker the whole time and am alternately blind folded, wearing ear plugs, or both. I sit in a bucket of ice water, naked, and refuse to speak in anything but GAS lyrics. Four more weeks of this and I’m guaranteed to win at music. Sorry suckers, no one musics harder than me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I practice 23,5hr a day at 350bpm with two fingers taped together on my left hand and my right hand tied behind my back. I blast Charlie Parker the whole time and am alternately blind folded, wearing ear plugs, or both. I sit in a bucket of ice water, naked, and refuse to speak in anything but GAS lyrics. Four more weeks of this and I’m guaranteed to win at music. Sorry suckers, no one musics harder than me!

Hi, R,
    You are nobly awarded the Marinero JGF quote of the day! Five stars!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

It must be a terrible torment.
    I try to exercise only when I am eager and in a good mood, it helps a lot ... :-)

User Info Menu

I usually try and practice for an hour every lunch time during the week, although sometimes I'm just not feeling it and I may work through lunch instead. I attempt one tune at a time, over a course of 2-3 weeks usually, and so practice consists of scales and arpeggios for that tune, transcribing the head, playing some sort of comp, and rubato composition of appropriate lines. I recently started transcribing a couple of solo segments by ear. I usually play 30-90 minutes in the evening as well before cooking dinner, and that tends to be a little less structured - more line composition and perhaps some attempt to improvise over a backing track. Weekends I normally have more time to spare. Yesterday I spent (for me) a monster 4-5 hours on various aspects of Lester Leaps In. Today I've just composed a bass line and am currently practicing the chords against a Brazilian clave. Each week I then record whatever I have the evening before my lesson with Christian, and the whole house of cards inevitably collapses .

User Info Menu

Nonsense. The way to do it is to spend hours online telling other people they're doing it wrong. Only in this way will I become the musician I wish to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Nonsense. The way to do it is to spend hours online telling other people they're doing it wrong. Only in this way will I become the musician I wish to be.

Look at the pot calling the kettle black . . .
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Look at the pot calling the kettle black . . .
    Marinero
    HOW DARE YOU

I’m shocked, I tell you, shocked.

Nothing to see here move along

User Info Menu

HOW DARE YOU

I’m shocked, I tell you, shocked.

Nothing to see here move along
    C'mon C,
    You know you're a pedant at heart! How 'bout some English humor? And, despite the needle . . . it only hurts when it first goes under the skin . . . things are that way with needles.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

C'mon C,
    You know you're a pedant at heart! How 'bout some English humor? And, despite the needle . . . it only hurts when it first goes under the skin . . . things are that way with needles.
    Marinero
    The problem with British humour is it does rather tend to fly under American radar

User Info Menu

23,5hr a day at 350bpm with two fingers taped together on my left hand and my right hand tied behind my back. I blast Charlie Parker the whole time and am alternately blind folded, wearing ear plugs, or both. I sit in a bucket of ice water, naked
    After four weeks of this, everybody tells the truth.

User Info Menu

I have lately been playing at least 2 hours a day sometimes more with a minimum of 1 hour. I can at times go for longer but age keeps me honest, and I do not have the concentration I did when I was younger. Other than run arps that occur in tunes I have completely eliminated all exercises at such. I now only work on tunes and especially the melody. Then I outline the changes before I start trying solos. I wish I have done this 40 years ago because it is all about knowing a lot of tunes from memory and playing them till they just work like eyes blink.

In my youth I did the modes, scales, and patterns but frankly now it is all tunes. I am in the Joe Pass camp completely. He never wanted to jam he always said......"lets play a tune." Guitar diarrhea can get old unless you happen to be Pat Martino or George Benson. One has to know their limits. Practice tunes!

User Info Menu

In my youth, I did the tunes, but frankly now it is all modes, scales, and patterns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    After four weeks of this, everybody tells the truth.
    Perhaps, G,
    He had a brief visit to the asylum of Charenton.
    Marinero

P.S. Perhaps the Old Marquis is still alive and well!
    M

User Info Menu

Perhaps, G,
    He had a brief visit to the asylum of Charenton.
    Marinero

P.S. Perhaps the Old Marquis is still alive and well!
    M
    Aha so there is an explanation for the Voice leading Almanacs

User Info Menu

Sheryl Bailey said, in a recent interview, she practices 2 hours a day, first thing in the morning, just on technique. Without fail. As well as personal fitness. She makes time for these.

I have a unique predicament: I’m learning the guitar all over again. Basically 8 string guitar. Takes a long time to internalize what came naturally. Also recognizing, in starting over, the gaps I have on the instrument.
    So, in a way, I’m not afraid of “beginning again”. This time, I have a plan, I’m organized, I know what I want to do.

How many of us, other than the pros, really know our workspace, inside and out? How many of us can harmonize a note on the spot, with whatever chord, in dyads triads, clusters, 7th chords, inversions, etc.

I’m not keeping track of time. I just building everything back up again.

I just discovered Thomas Echols’ floor and elevator way of thinking about our instrument. As someone who is force to-rethink it, it’s been very helpful.

User Info Menu

The problem with British humour is it does rather tend to fly under American radar
    Oh come on, I get all of your and Graham's jokes. It's just a certain person that I've had on ignore since he made his Lord Valve-like appearance here.

User Info Menu

Aha so there is an explanation for the Voice leading Almanacs
    Yes, perhaps, C,
    The vapours surroundeth us . . .
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Sheryl Bailey said, in a recent interview, she practices 2 hours a day, first thing in the morning, just on technique. Without fail. As well as personal fitness. She makes time for these.

I have a unique predicament: I’m learning the guitar all over again. Basically 8 string guitar. Takes a long time to internalize what came naturally. Also recognizing, in starting over, the gaps I have on the instrument.
    So, in a way, I’m not afraid of “beginning again”. This time, I have a plan, I’m organized, I know what I want to do.

How many of us, other than the pros, really know our workspace, inside and out? How many of us can harmonize a note on the spot, with whatever chord, in dyads triads, clusters, 7th chords, inversions, etc.

I’m not keeping track of time. I just building everything back up again.
    I just discovered Thomas Echols’ floor and elevator way of thinking about our instrument. As someone who is force to-rethink it, it’s been very helpful.
    Good post, N,
    Once you know the fundamentals of music, learning any new instrument becomes merely a matter of mastering the physical dynamics. My first instrument was guitar . . . then sax, clarinet, and flute. Good luck in your journey!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Oh come on, I get all of your and Graham's jokes. It's just a certain person that I've had on ignore since he made his Lord Valve-like appearance here.
    Apologies for insulting your nation ;-)

User Info Menu

Apologies for insulting your nation ;-)
    I’m 100% American and trust me when I say we are all idiots over here.

User Info Menu

Recently I have reached a state where several hours daily exercises gives me great joy.
    I've had it for about two months.
    I read somewhere that Coltrane was a titan of work.
    I wonder how he approached the daily exercise ...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Recently I have reached a state where several hours daily exercises gives me great joy.
    Yes, me too. My wife was away this week. I played so much it was great. My hands are a bit sore now though. I'm writing some things that I like very much.
    It's a great feeling when you are completely into it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I wonder how much time a day do you practice guitar?
    ...and the next question: what are you practicing?
    Best
    Kris
    Hi. Number of hours matters, but it is even more important to know how to take advantage of them. You can practice infinitum hours and wont get the results if your approach to learning is not the right one.
    Also is important to try to make it the more entertaining as possible, as at the end of the day . Guitar must be something fun!Daily exercise...tell the truth :-)-happy-cats-small-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Oh come on, I get all of your and Graham's jokes.
    We’ll have to fix that. Maybe write them in Northumbrian dialect or something.