The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 84

User Info Menu

Well, I think it's a shame that guitar playing is only a therapy or medicine for you! What would happen if you were perfectly free and happy?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, I think it's a shame that guitar playing is only a therapy or medicine for you! What would happen if you were perfectly free and happy?
    And what would happen to you if the Internet disappeared ...?
    Would practising guitar make you happy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    ?

I didn't say it was "only" a therapy... it brings me great joy as well. BTW there's no such thing as "perfectly free and happy", except in moments. It's an illusion. But that's another discussion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    And what would happen to you if the Internet disappeared ...?
    Would practising guitar make you happy?
    who are you talking to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    who are you talking to?
    Guarantee you it's ragman. Kris and Rag have a long history of not getting along.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Guarantee you it's ragman. Kris and Rag have a long history of not getting along.
    ok, got it. Meanwhile, I put up a technique post with sole slapping harmonics but nobody wants to comment on it (boo hoo) so it’s always more interesting to “dance about architecture”, as they say

User Info Menu

ok, got it. Meanwhile, I put up a technique post with sole slapping harmonics but nobody wants to comment on it (boo hoo) so it’s always more interesting to “dance about architecture”, as they say
    I haven't watched it yet, I'm a little nervous about seeing you smack your Halfling

User Info Menu

I haven't watched it yet, I'm a little nervous about seeing you smack your Halfling
    hah, I was gentle with it. Promise.

User Info Menu

I must have missed it and will look around here for it. I have enjoyed everything you put up.

Tony

User Info Menu

Hi Jeff,
    By the way ... I practiced over 8 hours today, I have an important concert in two weeks.

Best
    Kris
    ps.
    I don't know when Ragman is joking and when he isn't.Plus linguistic nuances ...

User Info Menu

I practice at least 2 hours a day and split it between polishing skills ,and improving my repetoire.

User Info Menu

Sorry, didn't mean to start anything. I forgot where I was :-)

User Info Menu

This is a thread about jazz musician's daily work-exercises.I guess it's obvious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    It's like my therapy. As long as I have play time consistently, my "fuse" stays longer dealing with all the stuff that normal life hands you.
    I am much the same.

User Info Menu

I'm currently about 1 hr per day weekdays (work) and up to 4 on weekends. I usually start with coming up with an idea I like, and then seeing how I can vary it and use it. Then it's on to whatever I feel like working on.

I tend to prioritize diff things on different days. EG: after a day of working on something that I can feel the next day, I'll spend a day reading Bach to give it a rest. (my sight reading requires a very slow tempo)

When I came back to playing 6 years ago after a 10 year lay-off caused by a woodworking machine, I spent most of my time regaining chops, which I had from a previous 35+ years of playing. Almost back!

I enjoyed Mark's percussion. Quite gentle and tasteful as always. I'll have to revisit and make sure I gave it a like. Maybe I'll even come up with some sort of comment. I'm hoping this is good enough though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Be careful, you don't want to get to the point where you can play Cherokee at 320 like one of those silly beboppers
    This is me messing around at 300 a few years back

the problem I always found at these tempos is that everything goes dakkadakka

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller

The problem I always found at these tempos is that everything goes dakkadakka
    Very nice...
    I wish I could see your right hand ... I'm interested in the picking technique.
    It is very difficult to play a few choruses solo at a fast tempo.
    Recently, I have been practicing c-minor blues a lot at a fast tempo, trying to break the rhythm so that they are not just fast 8s.

User Info Menu

I used to play fairly quickly when I was younger. 3 note per string scales, legato.

Now that I'm an older player I'm trying to say more with less ( probably because my fingers can't move that fast for too long anymore ).

Coming into guitar player maturity is a very interesting process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Very nice...
    I wish I could see your right hand ... I'm interested in the picking technique.
    It is very difficult to play a few choruses solo at a fast tempo.
    Recently, I have been practicing c-minor blues a lot at a fast tempo, trying to break the rhythm so that they are not just fast 8s.
    At this stage I think it was benson style picking fwiw. I’ve moved away from doing that now but I think I could get a good turn of speed that way.

User Info Menu

Hi, K,
    Once I took music seriously, I became very structured in my practice routine. As a saxer, I did 2 hours-a.m./2 hours-p.m and then gigged at night 4-6 days a week. I did 60 minutes in the morning of scales, chords, inversions, and upper/lower register work and 60 minutes on Marcel Mule "48 Etudes" which is pure madness but a great technique builder. In the afternoon, I would repeat the same routine but do "standards" for the last 30 minutes of each session. Total 4 hours. I also was studying with T.S.(Classical) and Willie Pickens(Jazz) at the American Conservatory of Music in Chicago. Music was my gig.
    When live Music collapsed in Chicago in the late 70's, I retooled in another profession, and in '92 began the part-tiime study of Classical guitar. I was working then and managed 1 hour in the a.m. and, if there was anything left at the end of the day . . . one hour at night. Same program: 30 minutes-technique/30 minutes workpiece. In '95, I started gigging solo part-time on CG and did so until Covid. Since retiring in '16, I do 2-3 hours daily with the same program on both CG and EG with more time devoted to CG since Covid gave me the chance to develop a new program of Classical music. My dear departed friend, P.Z., Jazz jobber and principal bassist for the Chicago Lyric Opera for 30 years always reminded me: "No matter how tired you think you are . . . try to pick up your instrument for at least 15 minutes. Sometimes, he smiled, it turns into an hour." Discipline is the key to success.
    Marinero
    Last edited by Marinero; 10-08-2022 at 02:03 PM. Reason: addition

User Info Menu

By the way, K,
    Here's one of Mule's Classical Saxophone exercises referenced above . . . sound familiar boys and girls????
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller

the problem I always found at these tempos is that everything goes dakkadakka
    I play it every day at 340bpm with Ralph Patt's backing tracks.
    I generally practice at least three hours a day using Peter Sprague's three suggestions for a practice session:
    1)Touch base with previous material (review and the maintenance of technique).
    2) Current projects
    3) Creativity session
    From "The Sprague Technique" by Peter Sprague.

User Info Menu

I did my last gig for a while last Sunday so now have plenty of free practise time (especially since it's midterm here and the better half is going to France for a week tomorrow ).

The last week I've been doing an hour or two per day as follows:

* Ted Greene Modern Chord Progressions
    * Goodrick Almanacs
    * Van Eps Harmonic Mechanisms Volume 1
    * Bach Chorales
    * Mess with a jazz standard
    * Write, write and write

Am loving it

User Info Menu

"* Mess with a jazz standard
    * Write, write and write" Liarspoker

Hi, L,
    YES!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

1h30 a day in average. I start practicing M7, m7, 7, m7b5 drop 2, 3, 4 chords. Then sometimes some Pat Martino activities lines or some 4th shell voicing. Then comes the best exercise IMO: 1) pick a song, 2) play the chords on my loop station 3) improvise a few choruses over a 4 frets section of the neck, then move on to the adjacent one and so on 5) improvise a few choruses on the low E and the A string only, then move on to the adjacent couple of strings and so on.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk