The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I've been looking at Adam Rogers' My Music Masterclass video and he recommends Bach Sonatas and Partitas as technical studies. He provides a copy of one of the "Doubles" in BWV 1002 in b minor (the one in 9 8).

I've really enjoyed playing and bought a copy of the Schrimer's "Sonatas and Partitas for Violin".

Can anyone recommend some of the other pieces from the book as good studies at about the same level of difficulty?

Thanks,

Josh

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Barry Galbraith's Bach book is really good. Each piece is written for two guitars but you can play each on its own too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by josh74
    I've been looking at Adam Rogers' My Music Masterclass video and he recommends Bach Sonatas and Partitas as technical studies. He provides a copy of one of the "Doubles" in BWV 1002 in b minor (the one in 9 8).

I've really enjoyed playing and bought a copy of the Schrimer's "Sonatas and Partitas for Violin".

Can anyone recommend some of the other pieces from the book as good studies at about the same level of difficulty?

Thanks,

Josh
    I used to play the Presto from BWV 1001 when I played with a plectrum. I also would sight-read several movements. My experience was that they're all various levels of difficult! Suffice to say, I never reached the required speed for my 'Presto'. Some might be less scary owing to being a lower required tempo - so I guess those are the movements you might want to look at. You should perhaps find a recording of these pieces so you can gauge the kind of tempos you want to aim for. Some more polyphonic movements might be useful if you don't mind using other fingers of your right-hand. It's all amazing and beautiful music of course.

User Info Menu

You can play the polyphonic bits with a pick. I’ve seen it done.

User Info Menu

The Bm partita has double for every movement. It's a wonderful suite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    You can play the polyphonic bits with a pick. I’ve seen it done.
    Cool - I guess that's more faithful to a 'pick as bow' concept.

User Info Menu

Cool. Lately I’ve been using the Prelude to the Cello Suite No. 1 as a hybrid picking exercise. Love Bach!

User Info Menu

Bwv999 as a crosspicking etude

User Info Menu

Thanks,

Josh

The whole collection of 2 part Inventions is a treasure trove of knowledge. Probably the single most important thing I’ve studied.

User Info Menu

Josh, you might be interested in my Famous Lute Solos for Plectrum Guitar. See the thread about it here:

Famous Lute Solos arranged for Plectrum/Pick Guitar

User Info Menu

Thanks,

Josh
    Ted Greene has many Baroque studies on his web site TedGreene.com

Ted also said to explore the Bach Chorales

User Info Menu

I've just downloaded the public domain solo violin sheet music from IMSLP

I've mainly used them as reading practise material. It's really ejoyable and satisfying.
    Last edited by orri; 10-04-2022 at 05:58 AM.

User Info Menu

One thing about doubles - they are usually variations on the preceding dance, so you can see how the harmonic structure relates and that's a useful thing for studying improvisation

User Info Menu

For those of us not quite up to the Bach challenge I highly recommend this book (Fernando Sor - The Sixteen Easiest Pieces) to get some sight reading practice and classical sounds going. There are many examples of folks playing these on YT. Our own Rob M. among them.

https://tecla.com/shop/books-and-mus...pieces-guitar/

If you want to dig into the Bach solo violin sonatas and partitas this particular publication is very cleanly notated.

Amazon.com

Bach Sonatas and Partitas as Plectrum Technical Studies-2e8cb343-1c4f-48e8-8794-de296e5a6be2-jpg

User Info Menu

I just download things on musescore. It’s quite useful having them in an easily editable format

User Info Menu

I’ve read through parts of several of the suites, but not to performance standards. I did some serious work on this Presto. Alternate picking, then economy picking attacking every note, then adding the slurs. Almost turned out to be more of a lesson in working out efficient and musical fingerings than anything else!

Here’s a pic I took at some stage of development, though I eventually completed notating the positions and fingering - the book is in storage right now.

I remember Jimmy Bruno told me - “Why do you want use those Leavitt books for reading, when you could play Bach or Kreutzer or Wohlfahrt and learn to read and listen to GOOD MUSIC at the same time!!??”

Bach Sonatas and Partitas as Plectrum Technical Studies-20140212_091703-jpgBach Sonatas and Partitas as Plectrum Technical Studies-20140212_091715-jpg

User Info Menu

A minor partita for flute BWV 1013
    Also the flute sonatas 1030-1035

User Info Menu

Oh man. I'm so with Bruno on this...