The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hi, i've been using D'Andrea Picks for a few days and i have to say that they have a gret sound! I would like to ask you maybe a trivial question, but how often do you change your pick? Because i have 4 pieces D'andrea picks 1.5 mm, and i don't know whether play with the same pick or change it from time to time...

Thank you for your possibile reply

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a box full of D'Andreas, Dunlops, and others – in various shapes and sizes. I choose one each time I play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fra88
    Hi, i've been using D'Andrea Picks for a few days and i have to say that they have a gret sound! I would like to ask you maybe a trivial question, but how often do you change your pick? Because i have 4 pieces D'andrea picks 1.5 mm, and i don't know whether play with the same pick or change it from time to time...

Good question.
    It depends on how much you practice the guitar every day.
    Recently, I have been exercising with wooden picks and polishing them with a special nail file.
    I have also box of D'andrea picks 1.5 but only use one all the time - over two years.

User Info Menu

If a plastic pick is worn out you can grind off the wear by rubbing the edges of the pick on a carpeted floor made of a palstic material.

User Info Menu

I have one red pick Jazz III/Jim Dunlop/ - I still use it- over 20 years-funny.

User Info Menu

I have six picks, standard 351 shape, what used to be called "Heavy" at .82mm (before the popularity of the multiple mm picks - up to 6mm now!), so nothing special, came out of a fish bowl of different picks at the counter of the local mom and pop music store (I could feel they were different and collected a handful) except I can't find any more like them. They are shiny black - look glossy painted. Their material is different than any I have felt trying to replace them. The closest thing they are similar to is Delrin, very slippery against the string, but their surface is not quite as ultra smooth as Delrin; Delrin feels cold, and these six of mine feel warm (I mean literally how they feel in my fingers).

Anyway, I maintain their beveled pointy ends and sides using a little piece of Scotch-Brite scrub pad, so whichever one falls first out of the packet I keep then in is always prepared for use.

User Info Menu

A common answer to many questions is " by listening". When your pick doesn't sound like it did when you were happy with it, it's time for a new one. A rough, scratched edge will boldly sound rough and scratchy, especially on the top 2 plain strings. In general roundwound strings will impart damage faster than polished flats and of course different materials wear at differing rates as will the angle of your particular attack angle.

User Info Menu

J Dunlop 1.14 Ultex OR 1.0 in a pinch or Blue Chip TPR 40 in that order

User Info Menu

I assume you’re talking about changing brands and thickness, not about chucking one if/when it’s worn out. I was turned on to the Clayton Raven 1.52 standard shape about 20 years ago have NEVER used anything else ever since.

User Info Menu

I check smoothness with the edge of a fingernail. When the pick starts feeling rough, I sand it with a fine grain sandpaper until it's smooth again. Now and then, I'll check them all and sand as needed.

User Info Menu

years ago..using mostly a semi classical nylon string

had a small white "jazz" pick--plastic..had it for years

then..a tad larger than "jazz" made of off white bone..loved that one ..it did wear a bit..but lasted for years many of which used on a Guild 175 style model

then moved to a burgundy color stone pick just over small size..using it on my 06 Les Paul Classic..over 15 yrs....super smooth and gives a very slight slide guitar effect which is heard as reverb by some

great for chord runs and fast solo work..the tip gives strong volume control and the round side does rhythmic chores with ease

User Info Menu

I have picks I've been using for 30+ years. The tips have rounded off on some (Dunlop Delrin 500s in particular, 1.5 mm; those are the oldest I have). My newer picks are mostly 10-15 year old ProPlecs and remain my standard in terms of tone. I buy new picks often just to check them out, but most of them end up in the reject pile. I generally prefer small teardrops and have often cut down the standard Fender picks to that size. Currently I am really liking a red Fred Kelly Fat Flat pick, made of Delrin 2.02 mm and a really nicely tapered edge. Bigger than I like but I am adapting.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 11-15-2022 at 02:18 AM.

User Info Menu

The tip gets worn, so I change them after a while. Maybe one, two months. I bought about a hundred from Thomann when they were available after some time where you couldn't find them in Europe..

User Info Menu

When ever they disappear into thin air I get a new one from a bag I have.

This happens on a near daily basis.

User Info Menu

Does anybody use felt picks? I haven't tried them but would imagine they would eliminate or, at worst, minimize pick click and I suspect would darken the sound.

User Info Menu

AFAIK they're mostly used by bass guitar players. I've tried lots of materials, but not felt.

User Info Menu

I walk around with these in my pockets..

Technical question about the picks-pics-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ARGewirtz
    Does anybody use felt picks? I haven't tried them but would imagine they would eliminate or, at worst, minimize pick click and I suspect would darken the sound.
    I tried one once. They are good for banjos, takes off that scrapey sound. For guitar, not so much. I could imagine playing rhythm with them, but not lead.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    AFAIK they're mostly used by bass guitar players. I've tried lots of materials, but not felt.
    Yes, I've heard that they are preferred by bass and ukulele players and that's mostly what I found while searching the web. There is one site, Timber Tones, that sells only picks made from all kinds of different materials: plastic, bone, stone, metal, wood, felt, leather, and lots more. Prices range from $1.50-$18 each. The sell a felt pick they call Felt Tones Mini, which they advertise for Ukes but the description says they are "...manufactured from the finest quality UK sourced High density Wool Felt. 4 Different Colours, 2 thicknesses, 2 of them are also stiffened. They are a scaled down smaller version of the classic 351 Guitar Plectrum shape and are precise Picks with a Jazz III like feel..." Sounds like maybe it has possibilities.

If you're not interested in felt or other picks from Timber Tones then they also sell their Treasure Tones Jazz Fat Silver 1 pick. It can be yours for $150, although sorry to disappoint but they are currently out of stock .

User Info Menu

I find I am liking the sound of nylon picks, but all the ones I have and all the ones I have looked at on the web have a grip surface and typically raised lettering. Anybody know of a source for nylon picks that have plain surfaces? Thanks.
    Last edited by pauln; 12-06-2022 at 02:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I find I am liking the sound of nylon picks, but all the ones I have and all the ones I have looked at on the web have a grip surface and typically raised lettering. Anybody know of a source for nylon picks that have plain surfaces? Thanks.
    China. Don't go there.

User Info Menu

If I understand you correctly, the question is: Rotate between the 4 picks or play one and the same till it is worn?

I'd go for the latter. Play one pick until it's worn. Then nail it at the wall of your practice room.

This way you can

a) always compare the pick-to-play with the un-played and estimate the wear...
    b) have an impressive gallery of worn out/played out pick at the wall after some years ,...

User Info Menu

Reading this I think you all have far too much time on your hands!

Far far too much time!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Reading this I think you all have far too much time on your hands…
    …or a paucity of more serious concerns I still have one Gibson Les Paul pick left from my high school days, which I treasure but no longer use (the pick, not my high school days - I both treasure and use my high school days frequently!).

I think the OP’s question has different answers, depending on how and how often you play. I gig at least twice a week, so I carry at least 3 picks in my pocket on stage. I leave 3 each of my ProPleks, fat Jazztones, and white Jazz IIIs in a small dish in my music room and grab whichever I want when practicing or playing out.

ProPleks are for most playing, Jazztones for acoustic work on arch or flat top, and J3s for blues. I don’t worry about which of the three identical ones I use - I just look at them every few weeks and replace any that are worn too much with a new one from the bag. I use flats and pick rather lightly, so I probably swap one new pick into the bunch every 3 months or so at most.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    …or a paucity of more serious concerns I still have one Gibson Les Paul pick left from my high school days, which I treasure but no longer use (the pick, not my high school days - I both treasure and use my high school days frequently!).

I think the OP’s question has different answers, depending on how and how often you play. I gig at least twice a week, so I carry at least 3 picks in my pocket on stage. I leave 3 each of my ProPleks, fat Jazztones, and white Jazz IIIs in a small dish in my music room and grab whichever I want when practicing or playing out.

ProPleks are for most playing, Jazztones for acoustic work on arch or flat top, and J3s for blues. I don’t worry about which of the three identical ones I use - I just look at them every few weeks and replace any that are worn too much with a new one from the bag. I use flats and pick rather lightly, so I probably swap one new pick into the bunch every 3 months or so at most.
    Up until a year or so ago I had my 3rd ever pick ( something like that ) kept as a souvenier. It was knackered and had even been chewed by a dog. Then I moved house and it went awol. I was distraught!