The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

This usually happens when I am reading single lines and not paying attention to where I pick. Usually I start to play just below the the bridge pickup. When I hear clicking it is because the end of the pick is hitting the fretboard.

I'll discuss this with my teacher at my next lesson, but first I'd like to hear from esteemed forumites.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention that my picking hand floats, i.e., I don't anchor or touch the body of the the guitar with my other fingers. I removed the pick guard. So given the absence of a tactile point of reference, what do you guys recommend?

User Info Menu

I deliberately play over the fretboard, for the harp-like tones. Sorry, I am no help at all.

User Info Menu

Tie a shoelace around your wrist, tie the other end to the tail piece...

User Info Menu

It’ll go away with a little focus.

User Info Menu

Why do you want to pick below the bridge pickup? It's harsher there, while it's warmer over the fretboard or neck pickup. I notice jazz guitarists use that for effect but I don't see why you would want to make a habit of it.

User Info Menu

Oops I meant to say that I usually play behind the neck pickup (not bridge).

User Info Menu

I see. Well it isn't a technique or sound deficiency for your hand to move father up, it would only be if you don't want to hit the fretboard with the pick.

User Info Menu

Just like Eddie

Need help - picking hand keeps drifting towards the fretboard-screenshot-2022-09-23-10-48-43-am-png

User Info Menu

If you listen to the sound, and you learn to associate the sound with where your hand is picking, you should develop an awareness of how your arm position effects the music.
    As pointed out, you get a rounder sound up there. Play with an awareness of the sound. It'll develop into a way of playing and you'll play better. As you mature as a player, you'll learn to use picking and string position with sound, so relax, listen, be aware of your body, your entire body, and hear what comes.
    Don't sweat it. It'll come with time and it'll be a natural relationship you have with your guitar over time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickB
    I forgot to mention that my picking hand floats, i.e., I don't anchor or touch the body of the the guitar with my other fingers. I removed the pick guard. So given the absence of a tactile point of reference, what do you guys recommend?
    Well, since I pick over the last two or three frets on virtually every guitar I play (Tele, Strat, semi-hollow, archtop, flattop, nylon string), I would say don't worry about it. For jazz, I find that is where the tone is the most appealing for the things I play. But even back when I was first starting out and primarily played blues, I found myself playing over the end of the fretboard because I thought that's where the tone was the best. This is true whether I am using a pick or playing fingerstyle.

I have always wanted a warm, fat tone rather than a cutting tone. From the beginning I have almost always used the neck pickup exclusively in all styles of music.

Some of this may also have to do with size. I am 6'3" with proportional arms, and it may just be that my natural reach positions my hand there because my forearm is that long. To play down by the bridge, I have to consciously pull my arm pretty far back.

User Info Menu

Stick a small handbag mirror on your music stand? You get a visual reference as you play?

User Info Menu

Where is your guitar? Right leg, left leg classical, hanging on strap high on chest, rock-'n'-roll low?? If your arm/hand is moving while you're playing, I question whether it was in the proper position when you started.