The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

After many (enjoyable) years of playing and practicing the guitar I've realized that there is no hope of becoming a jazz player if you are not a good guitar player in the first place.

Part of being a good guitar player is being able to play a song at the tempo that it was intended to be played, which means fast tunes need to be played fast. (This is true for every genre.)

I seem to max out around 85-90 BPM for sixteenth notes before I start to fall off the rails and I haven't been able to figure this out myself.

I'm hoping that some of you more accomplished players can see something in my picking that is holding me back.

I know this example is not Jazz, so apologies, but picking is picking.

It's quite possible that it's just not in me and I'm cool with that, but if anyone can see something that would help me out, that would be great.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bird played Tico Tico, too, no need for apologies.

I am by no means a picking expert (I have developed a rather intuitive way of economy picking which is still in need of being worked on) but maybe watching this video with Frank Vignola at the lowest YouTube speed may help you.

User Info Menu

Well, at that tempo you're pretty clean...itd be interesting to see if something breaks down as you get faster.

I guess if anything, I'm seeing more finger joint movement on the faster parts...that could possibly fatigue you as the tempo increases, if that movement increases.

But im not one to talk...my picking is nothing great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well, at that tempo you're pretty clean...itd be interesting to see if something breaks down as you get faster.

I guess if anything, I'm seeing more finger joint movement on the faster parts...that could possibly fatigue you as the tempo increases, if that movement increases.

But im not one to talk...my picking is nothing great.
    Thanks for the observations. Yeah, that was eighth notes at 165 which I know I can handle without flubbing. (But still an insufficient tempo for a tune like that.) I will see if I can record something faster (above my comfort zone) to see what that looks like.

And you are one of the better players here so I appreciate your input.

User Info Menu

Hey Bop Head thanks for that. I did what you said and watched at slow speed. Frank Vignola is one of the cleanest pickers and a good example to follow. I noticed his wrist is loose, while mine is tight, and his thumb doesn't really move while mine flexes in and out especially during longer streams of eighth notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    After many (enjoyable) years of playing and practicing the guitar I've realized that there is no hope of becoming a jazz player if you are not a good guitar player in the first place.

Part of being a good guitar player is being able to play a song at the tempo that it was intended to be played, which means fast tunes need to be played fast. (This is true for every genre.)

I seem to max out around 85-90 BPM for sixteenth notes before I start to fall off the rails and I haven't been able to figure this out myself.

I'm hoping that some of you more accomplished players can see something in my picking that is holding me back.

I know this example is not Jazz, so apologies, but picking is picking.

It's quite possible that it's just not in me and I'm cool with that, but if anyone can see something that would help me out, that would be great.

Hello, a few thoughts.

First, there isn’t one correct picking technique, and also they can change based on speed.

So, my first thought watching your video is, it’s clean, but it’s way too much motion to play fast with. Too much arm motion. Here’s a video of my picking, you can see how small the movements are, and at least for me, they come from the wrist.

Perhaps start with just a single string, working on building up your pure speed.

User Info Menu

vintagelove:

Those are great observations. Just the kind of thing I was hoping for.

Too much arm motion and motion in general. Also not using small movements from the wrist. That makes a lot of sense as to why I can't get past certain tempos.

I am expending too much energy to change directions rapidly. Thanks! This will take a lot of practice, but I like to practice.

User Info Menu

It looks like your picking motion comes from up/down movement of your arm. Meaning you lock your wrist, and it is mostly an extension of your arm.

It also seems that your pick hits the strings almost completely perpendicular? At more of an angle, the pick will push the string down and and glide over it. Straight on, it's the pick that need to bend. Either by loosening the grip, or by using a flexible pick.

I'd suggest to try to avoid that wrist locking. Set it free Use the arm more for positioning and not as up/down picking movement. Twist it instead. That way the pick will also come up and get ready for the next string.
    Don't prohibit/force movement, or think too much about that hand. There's small adjustment/movement needed in fingers and wrist etc depending on where you need to go. Let things move where it wants to, and practice relaxed. Your body likely knows best.

I made a little video which may make things clearer, or not :-D

Last edited by Runepune; 09-21-2022 at 09:40 AM.

User Info Menu

To Runepune:

That is very clear, and I'm sure could help others as well as myself.

I can see exactly in your demo what you are doing as opposed to what I am doing.

Now, the key will be to put in enough relaxed practice time to overcome my ingrained habits.

Thanks for taking the time, Well taught!

Alan