The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm searching a book for scales fingerings. I found this:

https://www.amazon.es/Modern-Method-...2&sr=8-1-fkmr0

But this book omit basic shapes and fingerings in my opinion.

Do you know some good scale/fingerings book?

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't have that book but I knew Larry Baione from school, so I can't imagine it not being a good book.

Not sure what you mean by 'basic shapes and fingerings'. I learned from the Modern Method for Guitar Vol. 2 & 3 by Bill Leavitt books. Very complete IMO.

Heck, a Google search will provide tons of charts of guitar fingerings.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Sometimes a scale fingering is presented as dots over the entire finger board, in which instance the actual choice of fingers to be employed for a neck position may be up to the guitarist.
    For fingerings where the dots only cover a position of the finger board, that is maybe more suggestive of which fingers to use, but still not as directed as some chord fingerings where the numerals in the dots indicate the specific fingers.
    For position presentations of scale fingering, there might be some assumptions about whether the guitarist uses three fingers or four fingers, and maybe how much fret span they might reach between the first and third or fourth finger. I think some technical methods actually present specific favored position fingerings based on their method's assumptions (based on how the method teaches to finger).
    Do both three and four finger guitarists (outside of a teacher's specific methods) just use the generic fingering patterns or are there generic but separate fingerings for three and four finger players?

User Info Menu

Dennis Sandole was a guitarist and the teacher of John Coltrane and Pat Martino amongst others. In his book “Guitar Lore” he covers a lot of alternatives for position shifting which gives you a lot more freedom than pure position playing like e.g. CAGED.

One thing you can figure out yourself comes from Mick Goodrick’s “The Advancing Guitarist”: Play a scale on all strings through all keys in one position. Thereby keep middle and ring finger always in the same fret position while stretching index and pinkie where necessary (middle and ring finger are tied together more tightly than the other fingers; think Vulcanian salute). Start with basic scales: major, melodic minor, whole-tone, diminished.

User Info Menu

There’s always Segovia …

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Dennis Sandole was a guitarist and the teacher of John Coltrane and Pat Martino amongst others. In his book “Guitar Lore” he covers a lot of alternatives for position shifting which gives you a lot more freedom than pure position playing like e.g. CAGED.

One thing you can figure out yourself comes from Mick Goodrick’s “The Advancing Guitarist”: Play a scale on all strings through all keys in one position. Thereby keep middle and ring finger always in the same fret position while stretching index and pinkie where necessary (middle and ring finger are tied together more tightly than the other fingers; think Vulcanian salute). Start with basic scales: major, melodic minor, whole-tone, diminished.

Thanks!!!