The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
    "Dream a Little Dream of Me" is a 1931 song with music by Fabian Andre and Wilbur Schwandt and lyrics by Gus Kahn.

Wow, 1931, very nice!!!

This song is dedicated to all beautiful dreams from our world, may they all come true!!!

This is one of my early recordings, and I was just starting to do this venture.
    Hope you enjoy!!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Very nice job on this but I'd have loved to hear your voice

Quote Originally Posted by aestheticsound
    Very nice job on this but I'd have loved to hear your voice
    I love your comments.
    I will have to do the vocal thing again, just for you, and your lovely comment!!!
    Respectfully,
    Rene

User Info Menu

Thank you for bringing back some old memories. Lovely rendition. I for one will never forget Mama's voice but I'd like to hear your version also. Thanks again

User Info Menu

Good stuff.

I have an old 78 rpm record of this song - from the 30's or 40's. Yes I was surprised when I first found it and played it. I thought Mama's version was the original.

User Info Menu

Look forward to hearing the vocal version!

Mama Cass' version has always bugged me. Her delivery of the song is marvelous, with that sweet voice – I enjoy her singing as much as anyone.

But she and her colleagues changed the modulation to the B section, and consequently the modulation back to the final A. She sings it in C, I believe, and modulates to A major for the B section. The original modulates to Ab, which makes for a nice simple segue back to C; Cass' version has to jump down an extra half-step to get back to C. The stories surrounding the decisions among The Mamas and The Papas to record this song make it seem like perhaps a lot of the original playing of the song was from memory; they may just have remembered it wrong, or maybe in their rock'n'roll heads they couldn't imagine a modulation to bVI.

The version that modulates to VI, whoever sings it (and there are now whole generations that only know that version), still bugs me, and I'm sure it would bug composer Fabian Andre, reportedly a family friend of Michelle Phillips, as well.

Although perhaps if he had lived to collect royalties on Mama Cass' recording, it might not have bugged him as much...

Interesting trivia: according to Wikipedia, it was first recorded by Ozzie Nelson (Rick's dad, of course) in 1931.

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Thank you for bringing back some old memories. Lovely rendition. I for one will never forget Mama's voice but I'd like to hear your version also. Thanks again
    Hi Archtop Guy,
    I love your comments.
    This classic song is a fav, and is truly timeless!!!
    Thanks for your wonderful words
    Rene

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    Good stuff.

I have an old 78 rpm record of this song - from the 30's or 40's. Yes I was surprised when I first found it and played it. I thought Mama's version was the original.
    Hi j4zz,
    I am so glad we connected on this song, this tune is truly timeless, and specially nostalgic!!!
    Thank you for commenting.
    Rene

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    Look forward to hearing the vocal version!

Mama Cass' version has always bugged me. Her delivery of the song is marvelous, with that sweet voice – I enjoy her singing as much as anyone.
    Although perhaps if he had lived to collect royalties on Mama Cass' recording, it might not have bugged him as much...
    Interesting trivia: according to Wikipedia, it was first recorded by Ozzie Nelson (Rick's dad, of course) in 1931.
    Hi Ukena,
    Wow, your background info on song is amazing.
    You must have some solid connection with this song, and maybe its history as well.
    Maybe I can get back and sing this tune, but it will be my own, and maybe not a whole lot of modulations, hahahaha.
    Love your comments
    Respectfully,
    Rene

User Info Menu

Same here. I didn't realize how old this was either - until a vocalist wanted to wotk it up for a gig several years ago
    Great tune!

Quote Originally Posted by FredH
    Same here. I didn't realize how old this was either - until a vocalist wanted to wotk it up for a gig several years ago
    Great tune!
    Hi FredH,
    This true classic is timeless.
    I cannot get over the 1931, and it is still very hip and relevant!
    Thanks for your love and enthusiasm over this song!!!
    Respectfully,
    Rene