The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

first time trying this out to help with my recovery from tendon surgery.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

beautiful ,
    you’re gonna be fine man !

User Info Menu

Wow, Mark, you sound great! How is the recovery coming?

User Info Menu

The playing is great, as always. Very artful tape application! :-) Did you do it yourself?

User Info Menu

The tape was put on by a physical therapist who specializes in lymphedema which I’m having lingering in my forearm and wrist. This doesn’t bother fingerstyle playing at all but does limit my plectrum use significantly. My pima chops are now better than ever while my plectrum speed playing is virtually gone.

User Info Menu

Your PIMA chops will remain after your plectrum speed comes back, once the the swelling is solved. I know this from my own experience having laid down the instrument for a 10 year stretch. I do hope they can solve that soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Your PIMA chops will remain after your plectrum speed comes back, once the the swelling is solved. I know this from my own experience having laid down the instrument for a 10 year stretch. I do hope they can solve that soon.
    . 10 years? I should ask why, but that’s beyond imaginable to me. Honestly/ dumbfounded

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    . 10 years? I should ask why, but that’s beyond imaginable to me. Honestly/ dumbfounded
    It started with a pretty gnarly injury to my left (fretting hand) index finger. And that happened at a time when I had become dissalusioned with the music biz. I had been making a living on the W. coast for about 8 years and decided to move to NYC. After 10 years things got weird there. I left. I played here. And then the finger.

I started playing guitar about 55 years ago. I played cello for about 3 years before that. It was good for me to get away from the strings for a bit. More to life and so on...

For the past 5 or 6 I've been back at it and enjoying it without the idea of a career hanging over my head. At one point I was pretty pissed off at the guitar, given the thousands of hours of practising and playing, with a pretty weak payoff. All I ever wanted was to earn like a carpenter while playing the music I love. Took me a while to get over it I guess. I have most of my chops back, and a better attitude now.

The big problem is finding someone to play with, which is how I've always done it before. Working on solo playing, but it's like a whole different instrument. I recognize what a gifted solo player you are Mark.

So there it is. Different people have different journeys. (I left out a lot of details to protect the innocent :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    It started with a pretty gnarly injury to my left (fretting hand) index finger. And that happened at a time when I had become dissalusioned with the music biz. I had been making a living on the W. coast for about 8 years and decided to move to NYC. After 10 years things got weird there. I left. I played here. And then the finger.

I started playing guitar about 55 years ago. I played cello for about 3 years before that. It was good for me to get away from the strings for a bit. More to life and so on...

For the past 5 or 6 I've been back at it and enjoying it without the idea of a career hanging over my head. At one point I was pretty pissed off at the guitar, given the thousands of hours of practising and playing, with a pretty weak payoff. All I ever wanted was to earn like a carpenter while playing the music I love. Took me a while to get over it I guess. I have most of my chops back, and a better attitude now.

The big problem is finding someone to play with, which is how I've always done it before. Working on solo playing, but it's like a whole different instrument. I recognize what a gifted solo player you are Mark.

So there it is. Different people have different journeys. (I left out a lot of details to protect the innocent :-)
    thanks for sharing your story. I think the best part is hearing that the joy of playing for its own sake has returned to you. But such a long road to get there gives me much to think about. I have lots to be grateful for. I never set out to be a solo player, and the vast majority of gigs over the years were in groups. There’s nothing like making music with others in real time real world with a real audience. Alas, the past two years have been a big diversion and the ability to play solo and connect virtually with an audience has be fulfilling the gap.