The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Any good resources out here? I want to lay down some bass lines for some of my loops with a octave pedal (TC SubNup mini). Or for my purposes is it as easy as roots, fifths and chromatic approach notes?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    for my purposes is it as easy as roots, fifths and chromatic approach notes?
    Yes.

You don't even need the octave pedal, just play along the low E string and it'll be good enough.

1 3 5 3 arpeggios if you're feeling spry.

User Info Menu

Great practice to transcribe a few basslines and get an idea of how to use chromatics...bass is an artform of itself, but a guitar player can fake it.

What kind of "loops" are you talking about? Chord progressions, or simple vamps? (or both?)

User Info Menu

Bass while comping, for me it's easier if the chords are moving a lot, like every two beats. Root, 1/2 step approach, Root, 1/2 step approach, etc. When the chords aren't moving as quickly, chord tones, chromatics, approach tones.

Resources, I learned a lot by copying the BIAB bass lines (Ron Carter lines for example). I also have gone thru a bunch of TrueFire bass courses.
    Last edited by fep; 12-15-2021 at 02:33 PM.

User Info Menu

is it as easy as roots, fifths and chromatic approach notes?
    No. Bass lines aren't roots and 5ths.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    1 3 5 3 arpeggios if you're feeling spry.
    This.

Step 1 is play the arpeggio (can include 7th) and lead into the next chord. You don't even have to worry about the contour and it will sound like a bass line.

Step 2 is be cognizant of the contour and add rhythmic interest (by including other notes). That's it!

User Info Menu

I bought a bass to add bass lines to my demos.
    It's been a lot of fun.
    One can do a lot with just a few notes. Roots and fifths can take you a long way.

This song has a very simple bass line but it is (IMHO) very effective. (I will re-mix this next year and make it louder but you get the idea here.)

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Great practice to transcribe a few basslines and get an idea of how to use chromatics...bass is an artform of itself, but a guitar player can fake it.

What kind of "loops" are you talking about? Chord progressions, or simple vamps? (or both?)
    Both vamps and chord progressions. Stuff like Sunny, Isn't she Lovely and some funk type stuff. Would love to get that slappin bass sound on guitar. (See Tomo Fujita). I realize that much of it is putting in the work on my end.

Looking for some bass line "recipes" I guess.

User Info Menu

I already told you the recipe. It's chord arpeggios. Play the root, then the third, then the fifth, then the third again. Follow the chords, viola, you're playing bass.

If you want more, get this album. The Beatles actually tried to play well. So Paul's playing real bass behind everyone, this is a great start to learning bass. Spoilers, it's full of roots and thirds and fifths and thirds.

User Info Menu

Many bass transcriptions online, here's 2 site with a collection:

Jazz Capacitor | transcriptions

Projazz Lab | study tools

or transcribe your own.

User Info Menu

There are different recipes for different grooves. It's always best to try to outline the chords on bass because that provides the foundation and too many non chord tones sound muddy. I assumed you meant swing, but for funk you can just jump from box to box grooving on each chord, it doesn't have to lead into each other like in swing. The art in pop styles is to outline the chords and have the bass line create its own melody. You can have a tier for what notes to use for how much time you have to outline them. Start with the root, root and 5th, entire arpeggio, scale. In modal tunes or sections you can be more vague and play scales melodically based on the root.

User Info Menu

Any good resources out here? I want to lay down some bass lines for some of my loops with a octave pedal (TC SubNup mini). Or for my purposes is it as easy as roots, fifths and chromatic approach notes?
    That a good start. Too much of that can sound a bit same though and it’s best suited for rapid chord chnages.

Work on your inversions too

Then you can work on linking inversions together with scalar passing tones.

Don’t underestimate the value of a two feel .

Listen to and transcribe bass players

User Info Menu

Look up walking bass lines on this very site.

and google walking bass lines for jazz guitar. You’ll find more resources than you’re likely to digest.

lots of sources available

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Look up walking bass lines on this very site.

and google walking bass lines for jazz guitar. You’ll find more resources than you’re likely to digest.

lots of sources available
    Thats usually the problem haha; where to start? What to focus on?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu